Does the thought of being 18-0 heading into the Super Bowl make you nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finishing the regular season 16-0 doesn't make winning the Super Bowl any less likely.
Probably.
Now I have heard some "experts", or "pundits", during this season say a loss somewhere during the regular season might help relieve some pressure. Former players like on ESPN..... I'm not so sure about this. I know there is pressure and pressure does affect people, but it affects each person differently. Tony Romo under pressure? Well we've seen he can do some very funny things under pressure. And so does his coach Jason "I went to Princeton" Garrett.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it would make much of a difference if we were 18-0, or 15-3.

The Packers would still be the team to beat in any case.

But perfection would be so SWEET!

Interestingly enough I see more and more Saints fans who are convinced that they have the better team and will beat the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I see more and more Saints fans who are convinced that they have the better team and will beat the Packers.
Records aside, they are playing at the same level as we are. That's a fair statement.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think us fans can't handle the hype as well as the team does, for us we are all worried about it, but the team isn't worried they are focused

sent from my rooted evo4g

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think us fans can't handle the hype as well as the team does, for us we are all worried about it, but the team isn't worried they are focused

sent from my rooted evo4g
Because the team isn't worried, I'm not worried.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

Well, they wouldn't be fans if they thought different. Heck, Bears fans think they'll still beat us Xmas.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have no reason to be scared. No one would have beaten us before so why lose in the big game?
I think when people talk 18-0, people instantly assume that it will be a repeat of the 07 Patriots.

I cant imagine the thought 19-0 atm.
Having one of the most infuriating seasons ever with injuries last year then to go on and win it all.
To follow up with an undefeated SB run?

Crazy to think huh?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Not with the mindset of this team, and not with the Patriots falling short in 07.

If anything, they'll be even more motivated to get that second ring.

While it may also serve as motivation for the opposition, you can bet that if we score with ease, they'll be trembling in their boots. Some of their players will be thinking "man, they're the invicted champs and are killing us. They're gonna win this **** again".

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If people have been listening carefully, they know that Coach McCarthy and Ted Thompson both know and understand about handling success. They said right away after winning last year, that this year would be about handling success. You hear the players talk about "stacking success."

1934 Bears, 1942 Bears, 1950 Rams, 1983 Redskins, 1998 Vikings, 2007 Patriots. All of these teams would be considered among the best teams ever IF they had finished the deal. None of them did. This is what fans are afraid of. "For every 100 men that can handle failure, only one can handle success." Success destroys people. Every year, people win the lottery, lose everything and wish they had never won. But the leadership of this team knew the success was coming and prepared themselves for it. They knew the messages they would have for the team, and they knew how they would help the players through the turmoil of overwhelming, crushing success.

Having followed McCarthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew exactly the weekly message he would give the team if they ever were 18-0. He might have put notes together on it during the offseason he got the job. McCarthy is not caught off gaurd. He is ready to lead the team through this challenge.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you asked me this question 2 years ago I'd say I would be nervous as hell against ANY opponent in the postseason.

What a far cry from that team that could not win close games... Winning validates everything, makes everybody jump on board. I vividly remember Woodson questioning the leadership in this team, saying that we lacked veterans in the locker room etc...

If we lose in the playoffs last season or if we don't do it with so many injuried players, this amazing run would've never happened, hell, maybe McCarthy wouldn't be our HC, and Rodgers wouldn't be playing as silly as he is now (though that concussion against the Lions, in his own words, served as motivation for him to become what he is today).

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
Having followed McCarthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew exactly the weekly message he would give the team if they ever were 18-0. He might have put notes together on it during the offseason he got the job. McCarthy is not caught off gaurd. He is ready to lead the team through this challenge.

Doesn't McCarthy have a degree in psychology? I trust him to put put this team in the right mindset to get the job done.

L

Lunchboxer

Yes it does. The D is still struggling.

I just hope this team is ready for cold weather games till the SB. This team plays so much better in domes.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

I am happy for them they have optimism. But, they also thought they had a better team then the Seattle Seahawks last year too so.....Yeah.

For the record I am NOT nervous, really. Okay sometimes I get nervous in a tight game but heading in I get more excited then nervous. I just wanted to get a feel for things. Great great discussion so far.

As for the playoffs.......well I do expect the home crowd to be insane. And the atmosphere magical. These Packers did not get to play at home last year in the playoffs. This year? Hello. A chance to repeat and maybe even a perfect season? You can bet your favorite cheese this is going to be one tough environment to play in as an opposing team.

Hey maybe Aaron Rodgers is the chosen one to finally get that 19-0 season. I cannot even imagine Steve Young if the Packers went 19-0. Post SB interview he might just sit on Aaron's lap or something.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
And never forget. The Colts in their stadium gave up on the pursuit of perfection. The SB is.....there. How ironic to see the Packers do it there? It has been in the back of my mind all year.

Of course I still have to listen to softies like Tony Dungy blab about resting. Yeah Mr. One and Done let's all take YOUR advice. One SB win over Rex Grossman and you know what the heck is up. What shocks me though is a guy like Rodney Harrison at times agreeing with Dungy. Not sure about that one. Rodney's team went for it. I guess he has been hit too many times in the head or the thought of a team truly going 19-0 burns him deep down.

Also remember this, it's not about going 16-0. It's about going 19-0.

ClemsonFan

New Era Packers Fan
Reaction score
I would say my biggest want is another Super Bowl Win. 16-0 would only be ok IF we won the superbowl. I would rather go 8-8 or 9-7 and win superbowl than go 16-0 and not win the SB.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
only if we play Tebow

Some call the QB of the Broncos Jesus. Some call the QB of the Packers Godgers.

What would happen when Godgers and his 18-0 team go against Jesus and his upstart Broncos?

My guess is Godgers prevails but I am sure lightening would strike several times during the game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say my biggest want is another Super Bowl Win. 16-0 would only be ok IF we won the superbowl. I would rather go 8-8 or 9-7 and win superbowl than go 16-0 and not win the SB.

HUH? 16-0 is only okay if we win the Super Bowl? What the hell kind of sense does that make? Once the regular season is over we could lose the Super Bowl (or not even get there) either way. You would rather go 9-7 and lose the Super Bowl than go 16-0 and lose the Super Bowl? Really???

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Mods should close this thread. Sheesh. The Packers Fear no man nor beast. They are an all weather Day or night killing machine. Some fights may be harder than others but in the end they will prevail. If you think anything less, well..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online