Does the thought of being 18-0 heading into the Super Bowl make you nervous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
No, because the goal that McCarthy has set has not changed. His goal for each game has been 1 - 0, not 13 - 0, not 18 - 0, or 17 - 1, 2 -1, 13 - 3, or any other number but 1 - 0. The focus of that 1 is the win for the current game, the 0 being the number given to the loser. Sure injuries may come, but they can come at any time, want an example, Kyle Orton of the Chiefs, played for ONE friggin' down for that team. Not one good thing could come out of a loss, yet mistakes like: an interception, a turnover, an opponent's touchdown, a missed coverage, missed block, are all game time adjustments the Packers can make to adjust so they don't happen again to allow the goal to be reached. What good could happen if what McCarthy is preaching all year changes over one injury?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL at us sitting here fussing about an undefeated season. Now this is the rub! To be honest, of course it makes me nervous as a fan if I think if it as an added pressure to maintain that perfect record on top of the team winning the SB. Winning a SB is hard enough, but managing a perfect record on top of that is something else. But what I don't see is the players fussing about it. They seem to be just taking it game by game, just knocking off opponents one by one. With each week, another one bites the dust. Maybe we can just take an example from them and just enjoy this time because honestly, how many times in this lifetime are we going to get to experience this? Super teams don't come along that often.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does actually. And I think the reason it isn't hyped like the Patriots/Colts/Saints run is because people have seen this before, and been let down by the team trying to make history. Going into the SB, if the Packers are fortunate enough to be in the game and be 18-0 the hype will be at a fever pitch, just like the Patriots in '07.

I have no doubt in my mind MM will go for the perfect season, just listen to how much the players want it in interviews. MM knows better than anyone the importance of going into the playoffs hot, sitting people for three weeks would be a killer for this team and MM knows it. They will play starters every game, period.

D

Dan115

It does actually. And I think the reason it isn't hyped like the Patriots/Colts/Saints run is because people have seen this before, and been let down by the team trying to make history. Going into the SB, if the Packers are fortunate enough to be in the game and be 18-0 the hype will be at a fever pitch, just like the Patriots in '07.

I have no doubt in my mind MM will go for the perfect season, just listen to how much the players want it in interviews. MM knows better than anyone the importance of going into the playoffs hot, sitting people for three weeks would be a killer for this team and MM knows it. They will play starters every game, period.

YES, they will play starters however how long will they play. The starters play in pre season games also.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Going into the SB, if the Packers are fortunate enough to be in the game and be 18-0 the hype will be at a fever pitch, just like the Patriots in '07.

I think the media figures they have better things to cover like Tebow or Brady than the Packers going perfect.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Big Mac will be taking this One game at a time. He will use history as his motivator but he won't allow the players to get beyond the game that is next. We are a lucky team to have Aroge as our QB but we are just as lucky to have Mac as the Head Coach. This guy is a leader and knows how to manage and lead. Are we going to be perfect? we'll see but we are in a perfect position, with the perfect quarterback, and the road to perfection goes thru Lambeau. What could be more perfect?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
granted that the packers are not my team (patriots are), but i can see where bogart and dungy are coming from.

What is worth more, going 16-0 and having valuable players become injured (rodgers/jennings etc etc). Or losing one right now, getting that loss out of the way and than winning the SB?

Sure 18-0 is nice, but how many times has it happened in history again?

That's exactly why this team should go for it, because it's happened exactly one other time in NFL history.

I hate the argument that you have to lose a game in order to win the Super Bowl. I also hate the argument that going 16-0 means you're going to get your players injured. These are flawed arguments, and one thing has absolutely zero to do with the other.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. In fact, I want it really, really bad. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want a chance to be 19-0 for the first time in NFL history and absolutely would have to be mentioned every time the "greatest team of all time" discussion comes up.

BOB KAMINSKI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be honest.

I think when many speak against about resting staters/losing a game they are really afraid of also entering the Super Bowl as heavy favorites at 18-0.

It is in many ways an us vs. them situation if you are an 18-0 squad.
"LIKE LOMBARDI YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL, BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO BE LUCKY."

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything makes me nervous regarding the Packers.
I would love love love to go 19-0 and erase the 71 Dolphins.
But that's icing on the cake.

All I really, truly want is to REPEAT!
I just want to win the Super Bowl.
I don't want this to be like the 1997 season where we have the spotlight on us all year, as defending champs, and then make it back to the Super Bowl as heavy favorites, and then lose. Done. All over. Fart in the wind as Ron Wolf said.
I want titles.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. In fact, I want it really, really bad. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want a chance to be 19-0 for the first time in NFL history and absolutely would have to be mentioned every time the "greatest team of all time" discussion comes up.

Because some people, including several on this very board, are pathetically afraid of shooting for greatness and coming up short.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why but after the 3rd game this year,I felt the pack would go all the way still think they will,why because no matter who is out on the field they play hard Hawk Bishop Neal they all went down but backups stood their ground,sure yards are givin up but look at the raiders game guys came through Fran whats his name sorry bad at spelling his name.I'm telling you I feel it even now the excitement because this team will be the team to win it all no matter who we have to play,this team wants it and they will play to get it. go pack
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Vaard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is the packers, home of vince lombardi who said:

“Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.”

st. vince would play every game to win, wouldnt matter if they were 13-0 or 0-13, you go into every game with the thought that you will do your best to win that game........

the last two games will be against division rivals, both with long histories concerning the packers, especially the bears...... you dont want to give either of those teams the bragging rights to say they stopped the packers perfect season........

you dont want to get in a lackadaisical (sp?)going into the playoffs.. you want to keep the winning attitude alive and sharp thru every game..........

so, they should not be aiming for perfection, but they should be aiming to win every game they play....... anything less would be a disgrace to the memory of lombardi........

Vaard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the thought that they might go into a game, especially this close to the playoffs.. with a "whatever" attitude makes me more nervous than being 18-0.........

packnutt

'97 Shareholder
Reaction score
Nervous? Hell no. These are the Green Bay Packers and I'm savoring this season no matter how far it takes us.

One game at a time folks.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Know what? I was nervous going to the Super Bowl with a 12-6 record. Would I be nervous going in 18-0?? Yes I would. I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers who remembers very vividly the agony of losing one. Hell...I've nervous about going into Kansas City.... I dread playing Chicago and Detroit the last two games of the season...against two teams that hate the Packers like they'd hate a boil on their *** ... Detroit ... a team whom the Packers awarded their 16th loss in an 0-16 season a few years back -- don't think they'd love to repay that humiliation??

So...am I nervous??? Nah.... not a bit. ;)

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
There would probably be that little voice in the back of my head filled with insecurity and doubt.

But we've been there before, and the game hardly went perfect. We lost 3 players in the superbowl including our most valuable defender and we were able to make plays and overcome adversity and ultimately win the game. I think that experience will be a real confidence booster going back to the superbowl.

In fact, the whole 2010 season was a test to our resiliency and is probably a big reason we have managed to do so well this season. Because if we're ever in that sticky situation it's like "we've been here before under worse circumstances and we got it done"

Reaction score
I as a Packer fan am already getting tired of this (or similar) question. It's alllllmmmmmmooooooosssssttttttttttttt as annoying as the Brett Favre questions were. I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.
Trapped In Vikingville

Reaction score
Does the idea of being 18-0 going into the Super Bowl make me nervous? Does being 1 win away from a legacy, dynasty, and best NFL run in history make me nervous? Let's just say if we lost that game, I would cry every minute of the day for the next year.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I don't think it would make much of a difference if we were 18-0, or 15-3.

The Packers would still be the team to beat in any case.

But perfection would be so SWEET!

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
Not at all. This team has so much talent and amazing leadership it's hard to imagine them not going 19-0.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everything makes me nervous regarding the Packers.
I would love love love to go 19-0 and erase the 71 Dolphins.
But that's icing on the cake.

All I really, truly want is to REPEAT!
I just want to win the Super Bowl.
I don't want this to be like the 1997 season where we have the spotlight on us all year, as defending champs, and then make it back to the Super Bowl as heavy favorites, and then lose. Done. All over. Fart in the wind as Ron Wolf said.
I want titles.

Finishing the regular season 16-0 doesn't make winning the Super Bowl any less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts