Does Jeff Saturday Return in 2013?

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ThxJackVainisi had a terrific post. I agree and think that a lot will depend on what the RFA tender is for EDS. If he is a bargain compared with Saturday, I say go for it. EDS should be knowledgeable enough to make the protection calls. I think that he run blocks better than Saturday so if he can shore up his pass protection some, the cap would then make him the likely choice for 2013.

I completely agree that even a stud center is going to struggle. You aren't just responding to protection calls, you are reading the defense and making the calls plus making the snap. Sounds easy but it ain't

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With how poorly Saturday has been playing of late, I would not be opposed to letting EDS start or at least get some snaps in at OC. It's the Titans so it's not like it's a big game against a tough team. Having EDS would def help in the run game and he can't be much worse than Saturday has been in pass blocking.

If the staff thinks he is the OC of the future putting him in for the week 16 game I think would be a good idea. It would give them an idea of where he is at and if he could be a viable option next year. If he looks good we may even find a better solution for the OL issue this year. If he can play center right now I think it is worth a shot, if only for this week. It's not like we have much to lose.

12theTruth

Unfortunately, I think we have to bring him back. Unless EDS is the heir apparent and the coaches feel comfortable enough with him to handle the position, center should be our 1st or 2nd pick next year. Keep Saturday to help train the possible pick. Saturday does have his limitations, but at least it looks like some of the communication problems that plagued our line earlier in the year have mostly cleared up. Now we just have to deal with being overpowered on 3rd and 4th and short running plays at inopportune times and the at times porous pass protection.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With how poorly Saturday has been playing of late, I would not be opposed to letting EDS start or at least get some snaps in at OC. It's the Titans so it's not like it's a big game against a tough team. Having EDS would def help in the run game and he can't be much worse than Saturday has been in pass blocking.

If the staff thinks he is the OC of the future putting him in for the week 16 game I think would be a good idea. It would give them an idea of where he is at and if he could be a viable option next year. If he looks good we may even find a better solution for the OL issue this year. If he can play center right now I think it is worth a shot, if only for this week. It's not like we have much to lose.
Yeah, I have to agree. We can get a look at him under the guise of resting a starter. Put him in a real game situation to evaluate how viable he is for the future. See if we actually need a starting Center in next years draft.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Methinks Ted will look for another interior guy in the draft. They don't draft for specific position, but a mid-round guy for C-G might be in order. Saturday clearly isn't as good as Wells.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we have to bring him back. Unless EDS is the heir apparent and the coaches feel comfortable enough with him to handle the position, center should be our 1st or 2nd pick next year. Keep Saturday to help train the possible pick. Saturday does have his limitations, but at least it looks like some of the communication problems that plagued our line earlier in the year have mostly cleared up. Now we just have to deal with being overpowered on 3rd and 4th and short running plays at inopportune times and the at times porous pass protection.
I agree with drafting the center to backup Saturday and let the rookie watch and learn. Treat them just like a rookie QB let them sit a year and learn from an experienced veteran.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is good news IMO. Not only for the rest of this season but for next. If EDS keeps the starting OC spot, we're about to see if the Packers will have to quickly groom a rookie (most likely) to take over that spot or if an adequate (or better) starter is in place. This also likely answers the question about Saturday's fate next season. EDS should be better in the run game including getting to the second level. If he's the same or better in pass pro (I expect him to handle power rushes somewhat better) then great. The biggest questions may be making the line calls and consistency with shotgun snaps.

I guess the "stubborn" McCarthy was OK keeping Barclay at RT and replacing a healthy vet at OC - both moves go against the status quo.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A surprising move the say the least. But, necessary. Saturday is a shell of his former self. EDS is younger and fresher. Can't be much worse. So, it's worth seeing what he has. My concern is the line calls and adjustments. Plus, he was rather poor at guard when Lang was out. Hopefully he'll fair better one spot over.

For the future, I want Barrett Jones in the first round. Starting C for 'Bama. He started at LT last season and at a guard spot before that. So he obviously has a ton of versatility. But, putting him in at C would seal the line really with (right-to-left) Bulaga, Sitton, Jones, Lang, and Newhouse/Sherrod. Barclay, Newhouse/Sherrod, and EDS as backups.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Well this might be the best game left we can try him in, and I probably wouldn't have tried him much earlier than this. Still some "?"

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the benching pretty much answers the threads question.

Funny that the leading vote getter among offensive linemen just got benched.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Funny that the leading vote getter among offensive linemen just got benched.
The general public as a whole trends toward stupid. Mein Kampf (I know, not the best source, but the man did weasel his way to power while basing his political strategy on my previous statement) gives great exposition. It's why the founding fathers decided on an electoral college.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The general public as a whole trends toward stupid. Mein Kampf (I know, not the best source, but the man did weasel his way to power while basing his political strategy on my previous statement) gives great exposition. It's why the founding fathers decided on an electoral college.

And some people want the HOF to be a public vote. Can you imagine? Ugh

H

HardRightEdge

This is the best run block configuration. TEN doesn't have a particularly strong pass rush; field conditions will be iffy. Looks like a good match up to take it for a test drive.

H

HardRightEdge

I guess the "stubborn" McCarthy was OK keeping Barclay at RT and replacing a healthy vet at OC - both moves go against the status quo.

That has nothing to do with the play calling.

I do applaud his going for it on 4th. and short instead of kicking a 40 or 50 something FG. In watching the game replay, it occurred to me he might have been inclined to bypass the FG on Crosby's second miss had Rodgers not been shaken up a bit.

The predilection for 4th. down gadget plays in his own red zone: :poop:.

Still waiting to see if we have anything in the trick bag to attack short zones between the numbers.

H

HardRightEdge

Down boy!
You're right, but what he was talking about was MM's Depth Chart tendencies.

I felt compelled to respond because of my recent posts highlighting MM's "stubbornness" specifically with respect to his play calling.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I felt compelled to respond because of my recent posts highlighting MM's "stubbornness" specifically with respect to his play calling.
I dunno, you post seemed quite clear to me, granted, I'm viewing in a vaccum. Isn't MM allowed to be stubborn in more than one way? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but if I'm right and you were not talking about the play calling in that particular post, but rather his loyalty, then the shame is all his for jumping on an assumption.

H

HardRightEdge

I dunno, you post seemed quite clear to me, granted, I'm viewing in a vaccum. Isn't MM allowed to be stubborn in more than one way? If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but if I'm right and you were not talking about the play calling in that particular post, but rather his loyalty, then the shame is all his for jumping on an assumption.

It is certainly reasonable to think a person might be stubborn is some respects but not in others.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
HyponGrey is correct - I was referring to accusations of McCarthy being stubborn regarding starters/depth chart decisions. IMO there's ample evidence to contradict that going back to the musical chairs on the OL during Colledge's first couple of seasons.

The only way I see McCarthy being stubborn regarding play calling is when he won't give help to a newcomer on the OL or one obviously struggling against a particular opponent. He has done so with Barclay however. Of course some play calls are bad but I don't necessarily attribute them to stubbornness.

H

HardRightEdge

Of course some play calls are bad but I don't necessarily attribute them to stubbornness.

Glad we cleared that up. While we agree some play calls are bad, I see recurring patterns. I suppose attributing those bad calls (inexplicable in some case) to "stubbornness" is better than the alternative.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts