does he make any sense?

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it was at fan fest where TT told the crowd that since we are so close to a superbowl he isnt going to be looking into free agency at all and focusing more on the draft... To me that could be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard out of a GM.. if your that close to a superbowl but have a couple of holes that we do, wouldnt you want to try and get a couple holes filled through free agency to make us a contender along with the draft.. so he expects a rookie in at least 4 to 5 different positions to come in and be starters from the get go and produce..so what TT is saying is that every pick this year is going to be a clay matthews pick..this might not make any sense to anybody besides myself but i just think its dumb.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it was at fan fest where TT told the crowd that since we are so close to a superbowl he isnt going to be looking into free agency at all and focusing more on the draft... To me that could be one of the dumbest things i have ever heard out of a GM.. if your that close to a superbowl but have a couple of holes that we do, wouldnt you want to try and get a couple holes filled through free agency to make us a contender along with the draft.. so he expects a rookie in at least 4 to 5 different positions to come in and be starters from the get go and produce..so what TT is saying is that every pick this year is going to be a clay matthews pick..this might not make any sense to anybody besides myself but i just think its dumb.
I think what he wants to say about that is maintain the locker room chemistry.

My point of view is that you build through the draft, but it's okay to complement through FA.

But he sees it differently.

I wouldn't do it that way, but to say it's dumb is too much...

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My point of view is that you build through the draft, but it's okay to complement through FA.

why would a FA ruin the chemistry in the locker room but not a new rookie?.. their both new faces in the locker room and dont see the difference between them. im just frustrated that he never does anything in free agency when we clearly need to fill some holes through it.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

I agree with you, I just wish he would try in FA. To me it just looks like he goes through the motions in FA.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he said "At this point, we aren't looking into free agency," meaning the time to look at free agents to boost our roster with is over in his mind. Truth is I agree with him. We have plenty of veteran players on our team now, and there really hasn't been a free agent available on the market who would have been a compliment to our team, especially for the money some of those guys were commanding. It's best to move forward and look towards the draft.

Besides, who is/was available in this free agent class that we should have gone after? We have some pretty good safeties and corners, our D-Line is pretty stout and our O-Line is more settled now than it was this time last year. Who out there would have made a dramatic improvement in our team?

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he said "At this point, we aren't looking into free agency," meaning the time to look at free agents to boost our roster with is over in his mind. Truth is I agree with him. We have plenty of veteran players on our team now, and there really hasn't been a free agent available on the market who would have been a compliment to our team, especially for the money some of those guys were commanding. It's best to move forward and look towards the draft.

Besides, who is/was available in this free agent class that we should have gone after? We have some pretty good safeties and corners, our D-Line is pretty stout and our O-Line is more settled now than it was this time last year. Who out there would have made a dramatic improvement in our team?
i could name quite a few FA's that could improve our team but what secondary and oline were you looking at? obviously not the same secondary and oline i saw.. i saw a secondary that got beat constantly last season by the pass and i also saw an oline that let up the league high in sacks

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you, I just wish he would try in FA. To me it just looks like he goes through the motions in FA.

Who should we have added this off-season that would have been worth the money? Who out there would have been such a dramatic improvement to our team that we needed to have them instead of who we already have?

I know people like to point to Randy Moss, and we did make an attempt, but honestly, I didn't want him. He had a good season in NE that year, but he's also proven he'll shut it down if he doesn't feel like playing. He did it in Oakland and last season in NE.

We made a play for Tony Gonzales from the Chiefs, but they screwed us on that deal by upping their price after we had already agreed to terms.

Pickett and Woodson are two of TT's free agents. So is Ryan Grant.

Yess, the Packers off-season sucks because it usually means a whole lot of nothing. However, I think that's a good thing, because it means we have a pretty solid team with the guys we have. Making a move in free agency just to make a move is stupid. There has to be an honest to god need, and I'm not convinced we have one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted has been here for how long? and its a SURPRISE he wont look into FA much if at all?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i could name quite a few FA's that could improve our team but what secondary and oline were you looking at? obviously not the same secondary and oline i saw.. i saw a secondary that got beat constantly last season by the pass and i also saw an oline that let up the league high in sacks

Who specifically? Please, give me some names of free agents who we should have gone after that would have been a dramatic upgrade to our team?

Rolle? He played secondary on a Cardinals team that got torched by us as much as we got torched by them!

Peppers- No friggin way. Too inconsistent and wanted way too much money.

Tomlinson or Taylor? $5 Million + for a 3rd down back = way too much.

We gave up the majority of our sacks the first half of the season. Oddly enough, when we got Tauscher back in the second half (You know, the guy we just signed to an extension), our sacks went down dramatically. Besides, who was available in FA that would have helped our O-Line?

We also had some key injuries in our secondary, but with both Harris and Blackmon coming back, we'll be better. Hopefully Pat Lee doesn't get put on IR again so we can see what he's got.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted has been here for how long? and its a SURPRISE he wont look into FA much if at all?
i guess it shouldnt be a surprise but its just frustrating.. were THAT close to a superbowl and he still does nothing in free agency when we have glaring needs.. i just hopes he has a perfect draft or we will have a one and out team once again if we even make the playoffs.. we have a very hard schedule this year

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who specifically? Please, give me some names of free agents who we should have gone after that would have been a dramatic upgrade to our team?

Rolle? He played secondary on a Cardinals team that got torched by us as much as we got torched by them!

Peppers- No friggin way. Too inconsistent and wanted way too much money.

Tomlinson or Taylor? $5 Million + for a 3rd down back = way too much.

We gave up the majority of our sacks the first half of the season. Oddly enough, when we got Tauscher back in the second half (You know, the guy we just signed to an extension), our sacks went down dramatically. Besides, who was available in FA that would have helped our O-Line?

We also had some key injuries in our secondary, but with both Harris and Blackmon coming back, we'll be better. Hopefully Pat Lee doesn't get put on IR again so we can see what he's got.
lets start with db's shall we
robinson
bodden
marshall
washington
hobbs
they would all help our cb situation alot
next we will go safety
rolle
manning
harper
clark
bathea
atogwe... my heads starting to hurt with all of these names coming to me that could help our team so i will no longer go on.. but trust me that the list is much longer than this.. i didnt even get after linebacker or the oline... im not sure you watch the same packers as i do because you seem to think that we are a superbowl contending team already.. boy you are mistaken

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're saying is we ought to just replace our entire squad, since everyone else is obvious way better than we are. That about right?

Sorry man, but your list reads more like someone who wants us to be active for the sake of being active rather than someone with an actual plan. Who on our team would you replace with the people you mentioned and why? What makes them better than anyone else we have?

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you're saying is we ought to just replace our entire squad, since everyone else is obvious way better than we are. That about right?

Sorry man, but your list reads more like someone who wants us to be active for the sake of being active rather than someone with an actual plan. Who on our team would you replace with the people you mentioned and why? What makes them better than anyone else we have?
you really are ignorant or just dont read your own posts.. you said to name you free agents that would help our team and thats exactly what i did.. i never said sign all those players so i dont see where you are getting at.. ummm lets see bigby is always injured and is HORRIBLE in coverage.. we need another inside backer because hawk just isnt cutting it and is also HORRIBLE in coverage.. We also need another outside backer next to matthews because we were HORRIBLE at rushing the passer... Yea maybe our oline will be decent this year but what happens next year when tausher and clifton are both done? what also happens when harris and woodson are both done? like i said you clearly arent watching the same packers team that i am

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets start with db's shall we
robinson
bodden
marshall
washington
hobbs
they would all help our cb situation alot
next we will go safety
rolle
manning
harper
clark
bathea
atogwe... my heads starting to hurt with all of these names coming to me that could help our team so i will no longer go on.. but trust me that the list is much longer than this.. i didnt even get after linebacker or the oline... im not sure you watch the same packers as i do because you seem to think that we are a superbowl contending team already.. boy you are mistaken

It's a compelling argument but there are questions about each and every single free agent out there. Many of them want huge contracts and if we were to give them what they wanted our franchise is going to go broke, remember the NFL is a business: Profits > Expenses. And about the safeties that you listed, Rolle is the only decent one but wants a huge contract. The rest of those safeties are coming off of serious injuries.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a compelling argument but there are questions about each and every single free agent out there. Many of them want huge contracts and if we were to give them what they wanted our franchise is going to go broke, remember the NFL is a business: Profits > Expenses. And about the safeties that you listed, Rolle is the only decent one but wants a huge contract. The rest of those safeties are coming off of serious injuries.
im not saying to get every free agent out there but if we are this close to making a deep playoff run sometimes you just have to open up the wallet and get the help you need..like i said before we need a near perfect draft to be superbowl contenders..those kids are going to have to come in and produce from day one because i believe we have more needs than we do draft picks.. time will tell...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you really are ignorant or just dont read your own posts.. you said to name you free agents that would help our team and thats exactly what i did.. i never said sign all those players so i dont see where you are getting at.. ummm lets see bigby is always injured and is HORRIBLE in coverage.. we need another inside backer because hawk just isnt cutting it and is also HORRIBLE in coverage.. We also need another outside backer next to matthews because we were HORRIBLE at rushing the passer... Yea maybe our oline will be decent this year but what happens next year when tausher and clifton are both done? what also happens when harris and woodson are both done? like i said you clearly arent watching the same packers team that i am
You're watching quite a bad Packers team...

That, and completely disregarding any improvements our young players could make, as well as predicting that none of the players we'll DRAFT will have any impact...

It's all about the price those FAs would ask. TT has shown he'll only overspend on his own players, and that's a great philosophy.

What happens if he pays that much money for Antrell Rolle and can't re-sign Tramon Williams??

-----

There's a reason fans aren't hired to think about this. They have no idea about the team's finance, about the cap, about the expiring contracts...

And here's a question for all who suddenly got worried about the innactivity in FA:

What was the last team that spent big in FA and won the SB?????????

That's right... I'm done commenting about this subject. Go watch some march maddness. Because in there winners in March actually counts for something... Not in football...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as free agents I cant think of one I would have liked the packers to sign in a long time, besides ray lewis last year. Moss and Gonz would have been great trades at the time but werent free agents.

Overpaying for a Free Agent will cause more problems in the locker room than I think most people realize. These players know how much everyone makes and compare the contracts down to the work out bonuses. I fully support TT when it comes to free agency, but I do think he could be more aggressive when it comes to trades.

There is a reason why the redskins are terrible almost every year since they have become aggressive in free agency.

Just my 2 cents

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk who in this forum mentioned it before but TT makes about as much sense as if Jarret Bush were to hold out this season... LMAO.

obryant13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spanish rose you sir are the ignorant one...is it really worth it to give a FA a high contract hes been playing to earn so he can get his money and take it easy? or draft guys in rounds 2,3,4 that will be cheap for several years and be playing for a contract.

TT makes plenty of sense maybe some of you should reconsider who your team is if you hate his philosophy. We always have young talent mixed with veterans who have been with the team...not veterans from 30 dif franchises that all came here to take it easy and end their career (raiders style) so if youd rather be excited during free agency im sure dan snyder or jerry jones will throw you a few bucks to be a fan of their team

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't think I saw many FA that would have benefited the Packers this year. So to say TT should be out signing someone is ridiculous. You use FA to fill in were your draft picks have not stepped up or to bring in a player to replace one that has left for one reason or another. I don't see any glaring need on the Packers since they signed most of their UFA back. Could they use some of the FA out there, maybe, but are they better then what they have on the team now?

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spanish rose you sir are the ignorant one...is it really worth it to give a FA a high contract hes been playing to earn so he can get his money and take it easy? or draft guys in rounds 2,3,4 that will be cheap for several years and be playing for a contract.

TT makes plenty of sense maybe some of you should reconsider who your team is if you hate his philosophy. We always have young talent mixed with veterans who have been with the team...not veterans from 30 dif franchises that all came here to take it easy and end their career (raiders style) so if youd rather be excited during free agency im sure dan snyder or jerry jones will throw you a few bucks to be a fan of their team
when was the last time we went to a superbowl?.. how long do we want to stay the "youngest team in the league".. if there were an award for it than i would be all for it but im sorry being the youngest team in the league hasnt done **** for us in a while.. how much longer are we gonna rebuild.. another 5 seasons of mediocre play.. maybe your satisfied with being a decent team that never wins it all but sir i sure am not

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad- You guys are correct, Grant, Moss and Gonzales were all trades. We got one, had a deal pulled from us on the other and weren't willing to overpay for a potential malcontent on the third.

Sometimes it feels as if fans want us to take part in free agency simply for the sake of participating in free agency. I'd understand if we were basement dwellers year after year, but we aren't. We've been a consistently good team for a few years now, and I don't think expensive contracts in free agency will help put us over the top. I don't see a *glaring* need we have that requires action in free agency. While not all of our players are Clay Matthews/Greg Jennings/Charles Woodson/Aaron Rodgers type standouts, most (Hawk for example) are pretty solid at their position and do a decent job.

Our O-Line needs will be addressed in the draft. We brought back two vets who were injured last season, but ultimately proved their value when they returned. Besides, the continuity on our line will help us, not hurt. Yes, they are getting up there in age, but that's where picking up some youth comes in. Lang is a decent backup and I'm confident will improve. I agree we need someone on the left who can step up. Hopefully we'll find a guy in the draft.

Same thing with the CB position. Unless Revis or Asomugha are available *now*, there's no reason to go nuts in FA for this position. Not with both Harris, Blackmon and hopefully future standout Pat Lee returning.

Keep in mind- A huge reason we got torched through the air last season was because the defensive scheme was new to us in the first half, and we were plagued by injuries in the second half. And yet we still managed to make the playoffs with Jarrett Bush in our backfield.

Have faith. There's a reason why we're discussing this on a fan driven message board while they're making millions to discuss this in their boardrooms.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when was the last time we went to a superbowl?.. how long do we want to stay the "youngest team in the league".. if there were an award for it than i would be all for it but im sorry being the youngest team in the league hasnt done **** for us in a while.. how much longer are we gonna rebuild.. another 5 ****ing seasons of mediocre play.. maybe your satisfied with being a decent team that never wins it all but sir i sure am not

Had an opportunity 3 years ago, but a certain quarterback threw a game losing interception in overtime. Maybe you've heard of him.

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I saw many FA that would have benefited the Packers this year. So to say TT should be out signing someone is ridiculous. You use FA to fill in were your draft picks have not stepped up or to bring in a player to replace one that has left for one reason or another. I don't see any glaring need on the Packers since they signed most of their UFA back. Could they use some of the FA out there, maybe, but are they better then what they have on the team now?
you dont think merriman or porter are better than brad jones? you dont think robinson is better than an old al harris who's coming back from a bad injury??.. you dont think rolle or atogwe are better than bigby?? boy where have i been

Members online

Latest posts