Does anybody have any other non Favre Packer-related news?

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything other than Favre news would be much appreciated....

Who will end up being the nickel back?

How will our defensive line hold up?

Most interesting position battles?

Anything else of interest?

boiga

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather talk about Jolly's sizzurp? Or how Grant's agent is threatening to hold him out of training camp if they don't reach a deal?

Sorry.... uplifting stuff....

-The upswing of Tramon Williams is probably the best news of the off season. We desperately needed a reliable nickelback last year.

-I'm really looking forward to hearing more about the high pressure defense from the linebackers that the Packers started installing in the OTA's. One of the blogs mentioned that at one point that had all 4 LB's on the field at once. The introduction of Chillar to that LB corp might really open up some schemes for us.

Can you imagine Rex's face seeing A.J. coming at him from one side, AK74 from the other and Barnett through a hole in the middle? Can anyone say defensive touchdown?

-The big 5 formation looks even stronger this year than last. The competition between Nelson and Jones for third WR should be interesting.

-I really hope Barbre beats out Daryn in the OL. It seemed every time Brett had to scamper last year it was because Colledge just got beat. Besides, the guy just seems so dang snarky.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson taking starting reps in returns. It would be nice to have a solid no questions return man. Although like boiga said Williams has looked good.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a day or two ago that there has been progress in the talks between management and Ryan Grant, and it looks like there is a good chance that Grant will be signed before training camp begins.

OP
OP
B

bigbyfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Does anybody have any other non Favre Packer-related new

- I believe Ryan Grant will be signed before training camp. With this fiasco with Brett Favre, the last thing Ted Thompson wants is for Aaron Rodgers to go into training camp without his starting runningback.

- I want to see the progress Atari Bigby makes after another offseason. Will he stop blowing as many coverages? How about all the penalities?

- I just hope Jolly doesn't miss much, if any, playing time because we need that defensive line depth.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Dorsey Levens having a big year, then holding out the next year in training camp.
He was signed late, did not get the full camp, wasn't in football shape, was injured and was never the same.

Note to Ryan Grant.....Don't be stupid, show up for training camp.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Anything other than Favre news would be much appreciated....

Who will end up being the nickel back?

How will our defensive line hold up?

Most interesting position battles?

Anything else of interest?

Yes. With C Williams gone and Jolly missing the '08 season (at least), I'm now slightly worried about our DT position. I'm hoping Justin Harrell can step up to the plate.

NB? Not sure, but guessing T Williams.

DL - I'm hoping we can employ some blitz packages more effectively than in '07. I was noticing that top tier OLs will stop our DL, but against average and mediocre OLs, we'd make the QB think he should have stayed in bed that day.

I think our most interesting position battle will be Collins vs Rouse. Personally, I'm hoping Rouse wins it because Rouse gets INTs. INTs change ball games. I watched Collins drop several that were right in his hands last year, and if you want me to throw something at the TV, drop an INT that's right in your hands.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

- I believe Ryan Grant will be signed before training camp. With this fiasco with Brett Favre, the last thing Ted Thompson wants is for Aaron Rodgers to go into training camp without his starting runningback.

- I want to see the progress Atari Bigby makes after another offseason. Will he stop blowing as many coverages? How about all the penalities?

- I just hope Jolly doesn't miss much, if any, playing time because we need that defensive line depth.

Grant will. TT and MM are both confident on it.

Bigby will stop blowing more coverages. I think a few of our D Coaches are on the hot seat in '08, and blame more the Coaching than Bigby.

Jolly will miss '08, and maybe more.

boiga

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right on all accounts bigbyfan.

I really expect Atari to make a big leap this year. He was gold during the playoffs and I think he's getting more used to the style of play on this side of the pond. If he keeps hitting that hard, I'll forgive him a few penalties... assuming he doesn't kick the dang ball again... sheesh

The bigger question to me is what will happen at free safety. I don't know how to feel about Nick Collins. He dropped so many easy interceptions, and every time we gave up a big play it seemed he was the one who took the wrong angle or missed the tackle. Everything we have seen of him says "competent... but not great."

Rouse also is an interesting character. Sure, his tackling wasn't up to par when he played last year... but his instincts were gold. Tackling can be taught, but that kind of ball hawking could be something special. Unless, of course, he's the kind of player leaving a player undefended for the chance to make an interception.

Still, having Bigby and Rouse back there would certainly make our backfield a lot meaner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts