Do you like our chances in the NFC??..no really?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Freeney would be a horrible fit in our defense and waste of our money. He is strictly a 4-3 DE. Not all 4-3 DEs can make a seamless transition to a 3-4 OLB, often because they are a liability in coverage. Freeney has been down that road and does not have a good role in a 3-4, just like when we tried to convert Kampman to a 3-4.

I don't completely agree with this. If Freeney agreed to be a situation pass rusher instead of a starter he'd be worth a one year rental. The Packers struggle in third and long because once Matthews is blocked the rest of the pass rushers don't push more than two yards.

KGB was a great situational pass rusher. He made his money on third down. The market doesn't seem to be exploding for Freeney or Abraham.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I don't completely agree with this. If Freeney agreed to be a situation pass rusher instead of a starter he'd be worth a one year rental. The Packers struggle in third and long because once Matthews is blocked the rest of the pass rushers don't push more than two yards.

KGB was a great situational pass rusher. He made his money on third down. The market doesn't seem to be exploding for Freeney or Abraham.

Abraham is going to broncos and freeney was meeting with broncos as well ( according to NFL32 on ESPN last night). I personally wouldnt want freeny, he is a horse bound for the glue factory. He was happiest in a 4-3 defense and wouldn't be as good in our 3-4. Either way, both are old and ready for an NFL dirt nap.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
And our pass rush won't have an effect? We finished 4th in sacks last season without our 1st round pick, best MLB, and probably second-best MLB, no Woodson for half the year, and DL that was befelled with injuries in the middle of the season.

They were a playoff team. Of course they'll be a tough game. But, let's not get overly excited about everything and forget about what our team accomplished dealing with adversity that few other teams dealt with.

You need to go RE-READ what I wrote, i never said our pass rush was gunna be inefective.

No matter who we have, when you play RG3 and he can scramble and make you look like a fool, he defeats most pass rushes.....most. Im not saying we will lose, but it will be a hard fought battle. and we finished 17th against the run.....a vast improvement, but enough for a run based team and a crafty running QB to not exploit.
we will HAVE TO dedicate a "spy" LB to keep an eye on RG3 and we all know that CM3 has the best wheels as far as our LB's go and we don't see him "spying" much, he is rushing the passer. Who we gunna rely on? Hawk? lol He couldn't catch RG3 if he had rocket shoes.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Overall, I do think that we will run the house on our division, no problem. But draft and healthiness pending, I just don't see us going to the SB this coming season. I think that SF and SEA are poised to be major contenders for the next few years. Unless we seriously step up our D, then it will be a bumpy road for us. This softy trpe D we play has got to go, SEA plays that rough and tumble- hands on-hard hitting-lights out D and we need more players like that.....not dirty players, just heavy hitters and guys not afraid to tackle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Darn...i didn't even consider injuries:eek: If Rodgers gets hurt we are a 500. team if that at best. If Matthews gets hurt the defense?? well they look plain bad. It sucks to know TT isn't going to persue Freeney, he would help out alot.
Yea, Thompson should spend 10s of millions to get a backup who can play just like Rodgers. And why hasn't he acquired another Matthews? Must be taking a lot of naps!? And of course getting Freeney would make up for the loss of Rodgers and Matthews, so why hasn't Thompson thrown way too much money at him? And hey, since Rodgers and Matthews could get hurt Thompson won't have to pay 'em much once he points out that fact to their agent. That's why rodell330 never bothers to mention the cap consequences of all the "brilliant" moves he suggests. Thompson must think he gets to pocket the cap money he saves, right? Why hasn't he been fired? Maybe Murphy could hire the Eagles' GM who knows how to use UFA?

Seriously (as opposed to the above) rodell330, your posts are getting to look like they're written by a caricature of the foolish NFL fan who wants the "excitement" of a UFA signing no matter the consequences. Here's a note of caution: Look at how many times you post "smh" - maybe all that shaking has you concussed? ;)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abraham is going to broncos and freeney was meeting with broncos as well ( according to NFL32 on ESPN last night). I personally wouldnt want freeny, he is a horse bound for the glue factory. He was happiest in a 4-3 defense and wouldn't be as good in our 3-4. Either way, both are old and ready for an NFL dirt nap.

So in your opinion either play wouldn't be worth a one year contract to rush the quarterback on third down? Playing maybe 12 - 17 snaps per game.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ not really.....freeney can't play well in our 3-4 and is old, so he would be ineffective basically. I say we develope perry since he is young and faster. Abraham.....maybe.....but you still can't be sure due to his age and getting slower. Now, if you were talking Elvis dummervill....ok...now we can talk...more cash, more production and younger and faster.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And our pass rush won't have an effect? We finished 4th in sacks last season without our 1st round pick, best MLB, and probably second-best MLB, no Woodson for half the year, and DL that was befelled with injuries in the middle of the season.

They were a playoff team. Of course they'll be a tough game. But, let's not get overly excited about everything and forget about what our team accomplished dealing with adversity that few other teams dealt with.

Yes we were fourth in sacks but it only tells part of the story.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ut-packers-team-grades-jd8ec03-187612381.html

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, Thompson should spend 10s of millions to get a backup who can play just like Rodgers. And why hasn't he acquired another Matthews? Must be taking a lot of naps!? And of course getting Freeney would make up for the loss of Rodgers and Matthews, so why hasn't Thompson thrown way too much money at him? And hey, since Rodgers and Matthews could get hurt Thompson won't have to pay 'em much once he points out that fact to their agent. That's why rodell330 never bothers to mention the cap consequences of all the "brilliant" moves he suggests. Thompson must think he gets to pocket the cap money he saves, right? Why hasn't he been fired? Maybe Murphy could hire the Eagles' GM who knows how to use UFA?

Seriously (as opposed to the above) rodell330, your posts are getting to look like they're written by a caricature of the foolish NFL fan who wants the "excitement" of a UFA signing no matter the consequences. Here's a note of caution: Look at how many times you post "smh" - maybe all that shaking has you concussed? ;)

So we would have to break the bank with Freeney? i don't think so. I think a deal for 3 yrs at a ttl of 12 mil is pretty fair for a player of his caliber. If i mention a FA let's not assume i'm ready to break the bank for the guy and kill our Cap number please. Have a nice day.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
So we would have to break the bank with Freeney? i don't think so. I think a deal for 3 yrs at a ttl of 12 mil is pretty fair for a player of his caliber. If i mention a FA let's not assume i'm ready to break the bank for the guy and kill our Cap number please. Have a nice day.

FREENY DOES NOT PLAY WELL IN THE 3/4 DEFENSE......what value would that add?

-- Does not play well in our scheme
-- old
-- slower

What positives are there with him?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ not really.....freeney can't play well in our 3-4 and is old, so he would be ineffective basically. I say we develope perry since he is young and faster. Abraham.....maybe.....but you still can't be sure due to his age and getting slower. Now, if you were talking Elvis dummervill....ok...now we can talk...more cash, more production and younger and faster.

It's tough to confidently put all our eggs in the Nick Perry basket. He played what, four games last year? He is a former defensive end who is transitioning to outside linebacker. I would like to see more bodies in camp.

And again, I don't think money is an option when you're talking a one-year deal. The Packers have a ton of cap room and the player (Abraham/Freeney) would be off the books by year end.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Cliff Avril signed a one-year deal, why can't Freeney be had for a one-year deal?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^,^^

as long as someone is NOT comfy playing in a 3-4 and would have to make the move to LB to play and is older and lost a couple steps.....I don't think he will fit into our D scheme well at all. (freeney anyways that is)

Perry is young enough to make a transition and will be valuable having both skill sets, the 3-4 and the 4-3. The older dogs are harder to teach new tricks to.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^,^^

as long as someone is NOT comfy playing in a 3-4 and would have to make the move to LB to play and is older and lost a couple steps.....I don't think he will fit into our D scheme well at all. (freeney anyways that is)

Perry is young enough to make a transition and will be valuable having both skill sets, the 3-4 and the 4-3. The older dogs are harder to teach new tricks to.

Let me ask you this then: Why not let Freeney rush from the defensive end position on third down and keep Perry in at OLB?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
also, TT has proven he does not really like to open his wallet that wide........if you were his grandson, you might just get a book for xmas....lol j/k folks, don't run me out of town for the negative TT jabber.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would freeney come to GB? Soooo many better options for him. He might as well resign with Indy if he is thinking about a 3-4. But he made it clear he wants to play in the 4-3

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Freeney had 5 sacks and 12 tackles as an OLB last year. 12! We are just as well expecting that kind of production from Perry for cheaper over the course of a season. He is nothing more than a "sign a big name for the sake of doing so" acquisition, especially at his age. It doesn't matter how down his market is if he doesn't fit into our schemes.

There is no comparison between KGB and Freeney. Different defensive scheme and position expectations. We're careful in free agency as it is, we are not going to go sign someone who doesn't even fit our system.

Freeney will sign for a 4-3 team, as he should.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So you want to pay $12M to a 33 year old 4-3 DE, and plug him in as a 3-4 OLB, a system which he decidedly failed in last year.

That is an insanely bad idea, sir. Maybe Mike Sherman would do that. I think you should leave this GM'ing stuff to TT.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Freeney can still be productive. Alot of haters but he would be an upgrae over what we have. That in itslef is a POSITIVE. You have to be able to use the guy, i'd say i'm going to line you up on the same side as Clay Matthews each time so teams can't double team Clay and you just go get the qb. It's not always about trying to outsmart the other guy all the time with scheme this and scheme that. Sometimes you just have to line up and play football.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, he would not be an upgrade over what we have.

The Colts didn't even make him an offer and payed Erik Walden of all people 4 years and $16M to play his position. What does that tell you?

Members online

Latest posts