do YOU have faith in this JIM BATES defense?

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE, good point, the mark of any good defense is to get off the field on 3rd and long. Great defenses get off the field on 3rd and short, especially at critical points in the game.

I think most people are willing to give Bate's defense a little time, but it is imperative that we improve every week.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan created and coached what was probably the greatest defense of all time. He left the Bears and was given the head coaching position in Philadelphia. How many titles did he win in Philly? None. Do you know why? Because the Eagles did not have the talent on defense that Ryan had in Chicago. It is that simple. Terry Shea was the Bears offensive coardinator last season but did they look anything like the K.C. Chiefs? How many titles has Holmgren won since leaving Green Bay? How many Did Ditka win in New Orleans? Will Seifert win a title in Detroit this year?
You have to have the players.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Actually, how would you all answer this question?

"Is this defense BETTER than last years?"

Pack finished at 10-6 & in the playoffs.
Are we 1 game better as a result of the new DC and the new defense? Could we MAY BE be 2 games better? that makes us 12-4 this year.

How far will that get us?
All the way to Oz :crazy:

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Buddy Ryan created and coached what was probably the greatest defense of all time. He left the Bears and was given the head coaching position in Philadelphia. How many titles did he win in Philly? None. Do you know why? Because the Eagles did not have the talent on defense that Ryan had in Chicago. It is that simple. Terry Shea was the Bears offensive coardinator last season but did they look anything like the K.C. Chiefs? How many titles has Holmgren won since leaving Green Bay? How many Did Ditka win in New Orleans? Will Seifert win a title in Detroit this year?

I can't argue much about needing the players, but I disagree about the Eagles under Ryan though. They had one of the top defenses in the league under Ryan with guys like Reggie White, Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, etc.

Their offense was kind of suspect back then. Randall Cunningham was often feared as a playmaker, but he never seemed to be a true leader that you really need at QB. I always thought that held those Eagles teams back from going to a Super Bowl, because their defense was as good as any back then.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers still don't have a consistent pass rush, and this really hurts the defense.

KGB is outstanding in that regard, but, like last year, opponents know you won't get much of a rush from the other three spots, especially Kampman. So they double KGB, and that's it.

This puts even more pressure on the secondary. No defensive back, repeat none, can stay with a receiver forever. If the QB isn't hurried, eventually you will get picked apart. The salary cap prevented TT from finding one or two good linemen, but you can bet it will be a priority after the season.

Bates system has proven it will work. Now he needs one more hippo in the middle, and another rush end.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see how Bates will handle keeping Nick Barnett free and in the open.. that's what I want to see.... So far, no one's covering for him up front and he's been getting blown off the ball... It'll be a sore spot till they figure out who will play camouflage up front. It might be good to have Colin Cole run up in front like Henderson does for Batman... only on Defense... We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.... but with Barnett being freed up in this scheme, we should see some of his college athleticism come to the forefront... finally!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Philtration said:

I can't argue much about needing the players, but I disagree about the Eagles under Ryan though. They had one of the top defenses in the league under Ryan with guys like Reggie White, Seth Joyner, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons, etc.

Their offense was kind of suspect back then. Randall Cunningham was often feared as a playmaker, but he never seemed to be a true leader that you really need at QB. I always thought that held those Eagles teams back from going to a Super Bowl, because their defense was as good as any back then.
Their defense was good but they did not dictate the games like they did in Chicago. Not a knock at Buddy or the Eagles. I used him as an example because he was the top defensive coach in the league at the time. Philly thought that he would take them to the next level and that was with a group of good players already in place. Their is only so much a coach can do to.