Do we rest Favre & others next week?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I say we play the starters for a good bit, if for no other reason I'll be there freezing and wanna see em! =)

Here's to no injuries!

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanatic said:
get up on the lions then pull the starters no need to risk injury. who really cares about HFA? I think playing in dallass would be better but then if dallass loses HFA goes to us and by then we we should be better acclimated to take this to the Big Game!

GO PACK GO! ! !
We've already lost HFA to Dallas. Todays loss did that.

cheesey yes i do know that
it's what i was saying was who cares about it? HFA...

i think there is an outside chance we would win in dallass rather than at home seems we are 0-9 in dallass and they are 0-5 at Lambeau guess i did not write the exact english phrases but regardless i think down there we will win and go to the big game :)

Go Pack Go! ! !

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver has to be rested early, along with Jennings. Let Jones, Robinson, and Martin handle the rest.

As for Favre, I don't like the way he handled himself today. He'll need his reps, and if we're up by 10 at the half, then bench him there.

The corners are old, but the corners are what make the defense. Gotta leave them there until we get a big lead.

Agreed. We can get away with resting Driver and Jennings. Jones, Robinson, and Martin are really good.

I wouldn't rest Favre until we get a double digit lead. We need momentum badly. I take morale seriously, and the morale boost would be huge if we can get a solid win.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackFanatic said:
get up on the lions then pull the starters no need to risk injury. who really cares about HFA? I think playing in dallass would be better but then if dallass loses HFA goes to us and by then we we should be better acclimated to take this to the Big Game!

GO PACK GO! ! !
We've already lost HFA to Dallas. Todays loss did that.

cheesey yes i do know that
it's what i was saying was who cares about it? HFA...

i think there is an outside chance we would win in dallass rather than at home seems we are 0-9 in dallass and they are 0-5 at Lambeau guess i did not write the exact english phrases but regardless i think down there we will win and go to the big game :)

Go Pack Go! ! !
Oh....ok! Just wanted to make sure you knew that. You know, we STILL could end up with the NFC championship game here, if Dallas loses in it's first game.
Anyway........where are you from? (If you don't mind me asking)

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From McCarthy's press conference today:
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2007/12/24/1/

(Any thoughts about your plan for playing players?)
As far as our plan for Detroit, we're going to play to win the game. We will start the football game just like we have every single week up until now. Now, how it will unfold during the course of the game, that has not been decided yet.

(How much of that is wiping the bad taste out of your mouth?)
That's part of it. I'm clearly not happy with the way we performed yesterday. So it's important to get back on the field and get going as far as playing to the level that we need to play. And, also with the fact that we won't play for another week, I want to make sure we stay sharp. We need to clean up a lot of things fundamentally just off of our last contest, and that will be our focus as we go through the week and have the opportunity to go out and compete and win the game against Detroit.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
DoddPower said:
I say we play the starters for a good bit, if for no other reason I'll be there freezing and wanna see em! =)

Here's to no injuries!
I'll be there too! 8)

Are you coming to the forum party on Saturday?
I plan on it. My flight arrives around noon. So just tell me when and where and I'm there. 8)

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I just hate the thought of going into the playoffs after losing 3 of our last 5 games.

I hate the thought of going into the playoffs with injured starters who would have been injured for no good reason(homefield is decided).

You have a right to your opinion, others apparently think winning is enough of a reason-

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." Vince Lombardi

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz, I am afraid you are on losing side on this topic, when Vince Lombardi and Mike McCrthy are on the opposite from you. And so is the this very long time Green Bay born and raised Packer fan of over 60 years against resting most of the Packer players for the entire or most Lion game for all the reson given by most of posters on this topic..

I have seen teams heading to playoff, resting the majority their starting players in the last game of the year. Prime example; The Denver Broncos came into Lambeau Field on 12/28/03 and rested almost their entire Starting team. The (10-6) Packers beat the (10-6) Denver Broncos
31-3
in the last game of 2003 regular season. The Bronco's played their first playoff game and promptly were one and out of 2003 playoffs.The Packers did play most of their starters for most of the game until the game was no longer in doubt.

Then Packers (10-6) unlike the Broncos won the first 2003 playoff game 23-17 against the Seahawks (10-6 Wild card team) The Packers then lost to (12-4) Philadelphia Eagles in OT 21-17 in NFC Championship game.

The Packers under Holmgren won their last game of regular season in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997 and also won the first post season games in those years.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You play to win the game

OR

You play to win THE game

THE game = Superbowl

that's just me though. I hope nobody gets hurt, but if a key player gets hurt, you all know what will happen.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach McCarthy addressed this again in yesterdays press conference:

(What factors will go into how long the starters will play?)
That's something that if you had asked me Monday, we'd play the whole game. But I think it's important for us to be smart with our football team. I want everybody to go through the week of preparation, and I want to use Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to make that decision. So I really don't have an answer for you, but I will be smart with the football team.

(With the guard situation, is there anything you can get out of this last game?)
I would just like the consistency to improve in some areas. That's what we're looking for, and another game will help those guys. It does not help with the number of times we have moved them. I'm aware of that. But it's important at that position for someone to grab a hold of it and solidify the interior of our line.

(After the Chicago game, you said you saw some things manifest from the St. Louis game. Anything in particular?)
No, I just didn't think we were very sharp against St. Louis. I thought St. Louis was a football game where our special teams clearly won the game for us. That was the most dominant performance that I've been part of, or that I've seen as far as field positions and the opportunities to score points, and we did not take full advantage of that on offense. The defense I thought started slow. The point I was making was our practice wasn't as sharp leading up to St. Louis, and to me it carried over to the game. To play in that stadium down there with that many fans from Green Bay, there were so many things in my opinion that tilted in our favor. We had an opportunity to play better. We won the game by 19 points, I'm aware of that, and that's just all in the realm of trying to win and improve. And as we went through Chicago week, there were some things that I did not like. I addressed it on Wednesday, I addressed it again on Thursday, a lot more in depth on Thursday. I'm not saying that's why we lost the game. I've seen our football team not have the best practice weeks, but it's more about how we went about it. That's the way we operate here, and we got back after it today and I thought today was a good practice.

(As you're considering how long to play starters, anything you'll study or anyone you'll ask for advice?)
Those are things I've done more in the offseason, when you have different conversations. I think it's very important just to keep your finger on the pulse of the football team, how they're preparing and how they're playing. I think there's a direct correlation. Sometimes you're proven wrong by the way the course of the week goes, but more times than not I think it's a direct carryover. We need to be smart. Ted and I have talked about it again today. We talked about it yesterday. We're just going to go with what we feel. I'm not calling somebody to get their vote of approval. But I know there are people who have been through this before. It's important for us to line up in two weeks and be healthy and ready to go.

(When you said on Monday, you thought about playing them the whole game, are you taking some emotion out of it now?)
I think so, definitely. It's important in any decision you make personally or professionally to take the emotion out of it. There was some emotion I'm sure involved in that decision, and you want to be playing very well. I think you can really categorize it a lot like the preseason. Everybody puts a lot of weight into the third preseason game. If in the third preseason game, if things don't go well, maybe you play a little longer in the fourth preseason game. I know our fourth preseason game, we felt the offense didn't have enough snaps so we played a little longer. Those are all types of experiences you draw from. Winning 12 football games, it's tough to do. We are the No. 2 seed in the NFC. It's important for us to take full advantage of that opportunity, and that will be the determining factor as we move through the week.

So yeah, nothing really definitive there. I'm guessing the starters will play at least a half. Maybe 3 quarters, but we'll see. Whatever McCarthy does, I'm sure will be best for the team. Here's to an injury free victory! :beer:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
So it was okay to say the Packers beat the crap out of the Bears last year when in the second half they took out their starters.

But now its okay for the Packers to LOSE going INTO the playoffs? The argument against the Bears was no one wants to go into the playoffs after LOSS.

It can't be both depending on what side of the fence your team is.

Hopscotch anyone?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
K, if a key player gets hurt...guess what will happen?

Trom - I agree with our site historian.

People get hurt. It's a violent game. It happens. You pray it doesn't happen, but it happens.

You don't want to lose going into the playoffs. Instead, you want momentum going into the Playoffs. Read our site historian's examples of what I'm saying.

No offense, but you're appealing more towards emotion than logic.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
K, if a key player gets hurt...guess what will happen?

Trom - I agree with our site historian.

People get hurt. It's a violent game. It happens. You pray it doesn't happen, but it happens.

You don't want to lose going into the playoffs. Instead, you want momentum going into the Playoffs. Read our site historian's examples of what I'm saying.

No offense, but you're appealing more towards emotion than logic.

POW!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the opinions of the players if they want to play. I personally would take it on a case by case basis, if I was McCarthy. The Lions are going to come after us, no matter how little it is.

Personally I don't think it will matter if we rest these guys or not, we will get the win. Williams is out, Jones is out, and our backups are better than their starters.

If we rest anyone, it's Woodson. That son of a gun has a bunch of nagging injuries and is incredibly valuable to the playoff run.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From what I heard, the players want to play. They feel that sitting down a game knocks them out of the 'grove' of playing. Which makes sense.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the opinions of the players if they want to play. I personally would take it on a case by case basis, if I was McCarthy. The Lions are going to come after us, no matter how little it is.

Personally I don't think it will matter if we rest these guys or not, we will get the win. Williams is out, Jones is out, and our backups are better than their starters.

If we rest anyone, it's Woodson. That son of a gun has a bunch of nagging injuries and is incredibly valuable to the playoff run.
I know Favre said he wants to play the whole game........but he said he understands the coach's view. He also said nothing was said yet on how long he (or others) will play.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had more time, I'd come up with more examples along the line of our Site Historian. I'm pretty sure if my memory serves me correctly that teams that rested starters and got blown out fared poorly in the Playoffs.

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play them for the 1st Quarter, start transitioning backups in by end of 2nd Quarter. the game doesnt matter and they do have confidence.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Lare said:
I just hate the thought of going into the playoffs after losing 3 of our last 5 games.

I hate the thought of going into the playoffs with injured starters who would have been injured for no good reason(homefield is decided).

You have a right to your opinion, others apparently think winning is enough of a reason-

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing." Vince Lombardi

I'll go with Lare and Lombardi on this one. I think you play the starters and if we're up big in the 4th then pull them. If it's a close game then keep em in. I don't want to go to the playoffs on a two game losing streak to two awful football teams.

Members online

Latest posts