Do We Resign Aaron Rodgers?

Alfer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know, Rodgers is getting kinda old! By the time Favre retires Rodgers will only have a year or two left in the tank! haha

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bump...After his performance Thursday, wanted to get more opinions

Who thinks he should be locked up by Ted NOW?

Let him prove himself more after all it was just one game

Let his contract run out and then see what it would take then?

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I'm pretty much sold on him, and don't really see us having any better option. Maybe he won't be the greatest, but I see him being our best bet at this point. I say lock him up as soon as possible because he'll more then likely only get more expensive with time . . . see Romo this year.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the lack of quality QBs out there I have a feeling other teams will be making some calls to his agent when his contract comes up.
If we don't sign him it will be a huge mistake.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the lack of quality QBs out there I have a feeling other teams will be making some calls to his agent when his contract comes up.

i wholeheartedly agree with this. Look at Matt Shaub.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score

That's what I was thinking when I started this topic. Good quarterbacks seem to be REALLY hard to come by lately, and as of late, Rodgers has proved he's a good quarterback. He hasn't even had much playing time, which means he'll even get better. I guarantee there would be a handful of teams willing to take a "risk" on him and throw him some big money.

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the way Aaron Rodgers played there will be a lot of teams looking for him next season. Now here is confusion on GB management. Trading him will get them probably a good pick next draft time. Why not do that and prep that guy to be the next quarter back of GB instead of holding Aaron. Brett Favre can play for another two seasons and sure during that time it will be easier for Favre himself to build a good quarter back to replace him. It is too early to say anything but rest of the regular season games it is better for Favre just to start the games and play only in the first quarter and give the ball to Aaron and rest well. It will keep Favre's record but will give him enough rest for the playoffs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not do that and prep that guy to be the next quarter back of GB instead of holding Aaron.

because we know Rodgers can play.

Favre can play for another two seasons and sure during that time it will be easier for Favre himself to build a good quarter back to replace him. It is too early to say anything but rest of the regular season games it is better for Favre just to start the games and play only in the first quarter and give the ball to Aaron and rest well. It will keep Favre's record but will give him enough rest for the playoffs.

That's a lot of "ifs".

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do you honestly believe Favre is the kind of player who would allow that to happen? Maybe if McCarthy decides to rest ALL the starters, that may be a possibility

LonelyPoet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre needs to be more sensible here.. he don't want to go out there and get injured. That will screw up the whole season. This is a great season, Favre and everyone should understand, this foundation of this team is on defense and offense should not lose games. The rest of the season Favre and the offense should play more with their brains that's the key. Lets prepare for playoffs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre needs to be more sensible here.. he don't want to go out there and get injured. That will screw up the whole season. This is a great season, Favre and everyone should understand, this foundation of this team is on defense and offense should not lose games. The rest of the season Favre and the offense should play more with their brains that's the key.

if that means benching starters, and not playing to win each week, then i couldn't disagree with you more

prepare for playoffs.

couldn't agree with you more.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
I don't agree with letting Rodger's go at all. He was a first round draft pick and we have a lot invested in him. The ONLY way I would agree with this more then likely was if there was a young talent that we were DYING to get, AND we were able to get a lot out of trading Rodgers.

Like Bozz said, too many ifs.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still under contract for two more seasons after this one. They sure as hell aren't going to trade him since he's cheap, a great backup, still extremely young at only 24, and has huge upside in our offense. Plus, we all know Favre may retire at any time.

I think TT will do everything he can to keep him here to take over once Favre retires. Its a perfect situation for both parties involved. I'd wager a large sum of money AR is the next starting QB once Favre is done. Its extremely hard to find young QBs that can play, and we have one on our roster.

bozz_2006 said:

Its a much different situation for us. Atlanta thought they had they're superstar QB in Vick, so why not trade his backup for high picks? It didn't work out obviously with Vick getting in trouble, but the logic was the same as it was for us when we traded Brunell and Hassellbeck. We had our young superstar and were cashing in for developing good, young QBs. We don't have a young superstar at the position anymore so we aren't going to trade our potentially very good young backup.

Schaub also signed for only 3 years and was in his last year. Rodgers signed a 5 year deal, and, as mentioned, has two years left. If we trade Rogers in his final year, we'd be doing so when Favre is 40.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's still under contract for two more seasons after this one. They sure as hell aren't going to trade him since he's cheap, a great backup, still extremely young at only 24, and has huge upside in our offense. Plus, we all know Favre may retire at any time.

I think TT will do everything he can to keep him here to take over once Favre retires. Its a perfect situation for both parties involved. I'd wager a large sum of money AR is the next starting QB once Favre is done. Its extremely hard to find young QBs that can play, and we have one on our roster.

bozz_2006 said:

Its a much different situation for us. Atlanta thought they had they're superstar QB in Vick, so why not trade his backup for high picks? It didn't work out obviously with Vick getting in trouble, but the logic was the same as it was for us when we traded Brunell and Hassellbeck. We had our young superstar and were cashing in for developing good, young QBs. We don't have a young superstar at the position anymore so we aren't going to trade our potentially very good young backup.

Schaub also signed for only 3 years and was in his last year. Rodgers signed a 5 year deal, and, as mentioned, has two years left. If we trade Rogers in his final year, we'd be doing so when Favre is 40.

I don't think it's that much different, other than the fact that Favre isn't getting any younger. What I mean is, let's say we trade Rodg because we have Favre, and God forbid, Favre gets hurt, and we're left with Craig Nall and some rookie. No thanks. but, at any rate, this thread is just pure speculation because I would be willing to put my nuts on the line and say that we don't trade away Rodg. if anything, we lose him to FA.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz, you don't trade away a young QB with two more years left on his deal when your starting QB is 38. Its not about Favre getting hurt. Its about when Favre isn't here anymore.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ron Wolf always said the worst time to go looking for a QB is when you really need one. If you think he can be the guy, the only way you trade him is if it's an offer that you simply cannot turn down (i.e. a couple of starters and a top 5 pick), otherwise you continue to groom him to be the starter one day.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bozz, you don't trade away a young QB with two more years left on his deal when your starting QB is 38. Its not about Favre getting hurt. Its about when Favre isn't here anymore.

I know. look at my post. i said we won't trade him, in response to 'lonelypoet'. There is no way we should trade Rodg because Favre may drop at any time, or may retire, and we know what we have in Rodg. Ted wouldn't take that risk.
In response to "Do we Resign Aaron Rodgers", my response is, 'yes!'. My concern is that he won't want to resign because of his desire to be a starter now.
I think you think that you and I are on a different page. I don't think we are.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this situation is all about what Aaron wants to do really. Does he want the money, to play for a great team or just play in the NFL? The packers will no doubt wanna keep him, i cant see him being traded but atm i cant see him signing a contract extension in 2009 either if Brett is still around, and he most likely will be.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:agree:

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a topic like this comes up, I tend to look at the problems of other teams @ QB. e.g. the bears and Vikes. BIG BIG dilemmas there. We don't have that problem and we sure as hell don't need it. TT won't allow us to fall into the trap of trading our future QB for one or two draft picks or even a good player. He's always looking to the future and that is Rodgers. The NFL is starving for good QB talent and even the best youngsters need 2-3 years to hone their skills. Too much risk. Re: McNabb, I say hell no! He's definitely on the downside even when he's on the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts