Do we NEED finley?

OP
OP
J

jrdulka

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically, I want to know what you guys think about resigning Jermichael. Is it cost effective?

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense got better after Finley went down last year because A-Rod stopped trying to force the ball his way. Finley has the biggest ego of anybody out of the receiving corps and WILL demand the football and get unhappy if it's not given to him. Personally I'd rather they not sign him if Quarless or DJ Williams can step up and show they've got what it takes to fill his role. I've never been a big fan of his personality, regardless of how talented he is.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won a Superbowl without his services but in all honestly all teams are getting better, keeping him is a huge asset against defenses. Not many ways you can scheme against a quick 6'6" TE who can leap. It's not really should we keep him, it's more can we keep him as other teams will sense an opportunity to pry him away with a huge deal say 5 years $35 mil. He's currently making like $500,000 with us I think.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's that we NEED him (see: last season), it's why not give the defense more trouble, more to think about, more to plan for. I think overall, it's that a player like that helps other players on the field other than just the qb.

As far as his attitude and "give me the ball" demands, if A-Rod can get it to him, he will. It's Finley's responsibility to be open.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that we NEED him (see: last season), it's why not give the defense more trouble, more to think about, more to plan for. I think overall, it's that a player like that helps other players on the field other than just the qb.

As far as his attitude and "give me the ball" demands, if A-Rod can get it to him, he will. It's Finley's responsibility to be open.

It's also his responsibility to be on the field and not the trainers table. I'd like to see 14-15 games out of him once let alone the whole season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article.... I saw you post that on FF also.
This site is better than that site by the way. Some of those guys are ***holes. Here, it's much better.

We don't need Finley.
But we are better with him. Our offense is better with him. Remember the offense coming down the stretch in Arizona 2009 season with him? Unstoppable.
We just sucked on defense.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah we need Finley. With him healthy, I believe we win the SB again. Without him, it's up for grabs. Rodgers just needs to stop forcing the ball to him and spread it out and make the D have to play all our receivers. I felt Rodgers was too one dimensional last year in the early games always forcing the ball to finley while GJ or DD are wide open. But, when you have a weapon like Finley it's hard not to want to throw to him every down.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like people already said, fact is, we accomplished the ultimate goal in football without him. That being said, I'd prefer him to be on our team than against us, he's just too rare a talent.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is he is probably the best size/speed combo in the game. I truly believe no one man can cover him truly. He's one of those guys that even when he is covered, he truly isn't. Also, if you see him in single man you throw to him every time, I don't care who is covering him.

Teams know this, defensive coordinators are not stupid. This forces teams to dedicate a safety to stay on top of him at all times or at least float the safety to his side of the field. This means he is contributing by just being on the field. So yes, I want him. I guess I just said a really long "yes" but ya, that's my answer.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious. Do you get paid for how many hits your article gets? How many other sites did you post this on?

As far as your question goes, I don't think the Packers could win a SB without him.

oh. wait.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see the discussion RS and I had.

I think they will find out if they need him depending on how he is used in the offense this year.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article and welcome to The Family!

Yes, I think we need Finley. The offense plays better with him than without him. Do we need him to win the SB? No, last year proved that. But I think we would of had an easier go of it during the regular season with Finley in the lineup. But that is part of the magic of last season, SB with 15 guys on IR. Now we begin to question whether or not we needed those IR players to begin with. Good question. I think every player on this team matters in some way. Here is something to think about. If we were capable of winning the SB without Finley (and the rest of the IR guys), just think of how good we are going to be when we get them back. It's scary to think about! :)

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do beleive we need him if we want to continue to win in the future (if he proves he can stay healthy). He creates too much of a miss-match which either allows him to strive or opens up the pass attack. They say you need to establish the run to set up the pass, for us I think it's we need jermicheal to set up the pass (only kind of joking here). Teams will be gunning for us and having the miss-match that is jermicheal I beleive will allow us to keep our passing game at the elite level that won us the super bowl.

I also think that if TT gives finley a good deal his attitude will change, he will have his money and be on a winning team. Those two things shoud be enough to keep him from complaining and ruining the locker room (unless he's TO). So hopefully they get a reasonable deal made out during the season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Last year certainly proved the Packers don’t “need” Finley but I think, and much more importantly I believe McCarthy thinks, the offense is more dynamic with him on the field. Finley presents significant problems for defenses and the attention he draws frees up opportunities for others.

However, Finley has to stay healthy and he has to behave himself when the ball doesn’t come his way as often as he’d like. And I understand some are concerned about his attitude and they have reason to be, particularly during his rookie year. But Jason Wilde, who is pretty close to some players has said more than once on Homer’s show that Finley is a good guy. So while I wish Jermichael would keep many of his opinions to himself, I don’t think he’s a problem in the locker room. If he stays healthy and he’ll accept a deal that makes sense in the Packers’ salary hierarchy, I’m for extending him.

see the discussion RS and I had.
Here.
PackersRS started a thread on the subject in June that links to a very interesting article about whether or not Finley "stole" receptions from Jennings. The link he provides – the numbers are also available elsewhere – points out how many times each receiver was targeted during the first four games last season and how many passes each caught.

In those four games, Finley was the target of 26 passes. So was Jennings. So was Driver. Those three were each the target of about 22% of the passes Rodgers threw. Jones was the target of 16 passes and Nelson was the target of 9 (15 passes to others were also thrown). Those stats do not indicate to me that Finley was the "focus" to the detriment of the offense or that Rodgers locked onto Finley like Favre locked onto Sharpe, for example. McCarthy purposely got Finley more involved in the offense, there’s no question about that. And of course Finley doesn’t have to be the target of a pass to be very much involved in a play. I think creating mismatches for Finley and exploiting how defenses’ try to adjust to them has McCarthy’s creative juices flowing. And that will be good news for seasons to come if Jermichael can stay healthy and dedicated.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year certainly proved the Packers don’t “need” Finley but I think, and much more importantly I believe McCarthy thinks, the offense is more dynamic with him on the field. Finley presents significant problems for defenses and the attention he draws frees up opportunities for others.

However, Finley has to stay healthy and he has to behave himself when the ball doesn’t come his way as often as he’d like. And I understand some are concerned about his attitude and they have reason to be, particularly during his rookie year. But Jason Wilde, who is pretty close to some players has said more than once on Homer’s show that Finley is a good guy. So while I wish Jermichael would keep many of his opinions to himself, I don’t think he’s a problem in the locker room. If he stays healthy and he’ll accept a deal that makes sense in the Packers’ salary hierarchy, I’m for extending him.

Here. PackersRS started a thread on the subject in June that links to a very interesting article about whether or not Finley "stole" receptions from Jennings. The link he provides – the numbers are also available elsewhere – points out how many times each receiver was targeted during the first four games last season and how many passes each caught.

In those four games, Finley was the target of 26 passes. So was Jennings. So was Driver. Those three were each the target of about 22% of the passes Rodgers threw. Jones was the target of 16 passes and Nelson was the target of 9 (15 passes to others were also thrown). Those stats do not indicate to me that Finley was the "focus" to the detriment of the offense or that Rodgers locked onto Finley like Favre locked onto Sharpe, for example. McCarthy purposely got Finley more involved in the offense, there’s no question about that. And of course Finley doesn’t have to be the target of a pass to be very much involved in a play. I think creating mismatches for Finley and exploiting how defenses’ try to adjust to them has McCarthy’s creative juices flowing. And that will be good news for seasons to come if Jermichael can stay healthy and dedicated.

yeah thats not it. The argument/discussion was about Finey hurting the offense, the one referenced is Finley vs Jennings and taking away catches if I remember. Where the previous thread was me saying the offenses numbers as a whole were down when Finley was starting. The counter argument was that it wasnt enough games to tell if the offense was just down in general.

Reaction score
Of course we don't NEED Finley. We also don't need any other individual on our roster. If we lost Hawk, the next guy in line would step up. If we lost Grant, Starks would step up. The only person that we would definitely need is Rodgers. He is the only individual that we need the most to play lights out every weekend to get back to the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
J

jrdulka

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious. Do you get paid for how many hits your article gets? How many other sites did you post this on?

As far as your question goes, I don't think the Packers could win a SB without him.

oh. wait.

Don't get paid for the number of hits. Just trying to get exposure as a writer. I posted this on here and a different nfl forum, but i've liked this site the best for Packers discussion.

I agree with most about not needing him, but would love to have him back. For myself, the biggest thing whether he stays or not is going to be the money. With players like Raji, Matthews, Sitton, and Rodgers all looking for extensions in the next few years, it's going to be difficult to retain everybody. Where do you see Finley fitting in with those players in terms of how much you want him resigned long term? How important is Finley compared to them? (Besides Rodgers of course).

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are three ppl we absolutely need on the Packers. Aaron Rodgers, Dom Capers, and Mike McCarthy. In that order.

And regarding the TE position, the only other TE that I think is better than Finley is Vernon Davis. The guy ran a 4.38 for christ sakes and his verticle is RIDICULOUS. Imagine if ARod was throwing his way and not the Flop.

Packer Ste

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don’t need Finley but I would really like him to stay. As proven last season we can win the SB without him but I think we are better with him on the field. He causes so many problems for the other team when he plays. He is a unique talent and teams just can't deal with him.

However, if someone like DJ Williams or Quarless can step up I don’t know if the Packers will retain Finley. I expect there are a few others that they will see as bigger priorities than Finley.

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
Is resigning Jermichael Finley a need for this team? Here is an article I wrote regarding the issue. Page views and comments on the article are also appreciated. :yes2:

Packers Preparing For Jermichael Finley's Departure? | Football Nation

Ps. first post, been reading for a while.. finally decided to take the leap and join.

Don't get paid for the number of hits. Just trying to get exposure as a writer. I posted this on here and a different nfl forum, but i've liked this site the best for Packers discussion.

I agree with most about not needing him, but would love to have him back. For myself, the biggest thing whether he stays or not is going to be the money. With players like Raji, Matthews, Sitton, and Rodgers all looking for extensions in the next few years, it's going to be difficult to retain everybody. Where do you see Finley fitting in with those players in terms of how much you want him resigned long term? How important is Finley compared to them? (Besides Rodgers of course).

With regard to your article/thread, I believe the Packers are more interested in re-signing Jermichael Finley than to let him resign.

Finley is a highly talented player who exhibits an excellent work ethic and a "sky's the limit" performance capability. His positive personality is contagious in the sense that, yeah, I want to hear a Packers player exude that kind of confidence.

As with the other young players you mentioned, Finley will be just as important when considering a long-term contract.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I REALLY think that he can pass Gates this year and become the best TE in the League.
Im not Sure if TT will pay him #1 cash next season..... but who knows.
As far as "needing" him. No the Packers do not. As stated above they did win a SB w/o him and TT will find players to fill the role. BUT!...... The Pack are a different team with him. Hes a huge target with crazy talent and he makes our team that much more dangerous.
I hope we can keep him.
In Ted I Trust.......................

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bangs head against wall.... Why does ever think Rodgers has a new contract coming up soon? He is a FA in 2015 with a rising contract that was timed pretty well.

I worry the "we need lynch" group will riot if Finley is allowed to walk.

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that always comes to mind about Finley is this, would you want him as your opponent? I mean, I don't care when we face many of the TE in this league, but Witten always makes the defense account for him, Clark does the same, Davis to a lesser extent, but if he ever gets a great QB throwing his way the he will be a lot more dangerous.
The answer for mine, is that I would hate being a DC and seeing Finley at TE. He has a pair of the safest hands in the entire league, WRs included, is tall, can play with tight coverage, and forces the safety to keep a eye on him rather than dropping back to double team our deep receiver. Say what you like about his personality, but unless he actually does become a huge whiney diva, and locker room disturbance, then I want him on my team every day of the week.

Members online

Latest posts