Do we draft a RB?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this next draft? Starks to me would be the ideal backup. Bring him in late in games to pound on a tired defense.

Just picture having a RB with break-away speed in our offense. It would add a huge element. I'd love to have a RB that can take it to the house on any given run ala Darren McFadden.

Thoughts? What are your thoughts and the possibilities that we may look at a RB early on in the first 1-3 rounds?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
any threads about running backs make me shutter.

No, we dont need to draft a RB high in the draft. We have several waiting in the wings. We are not a run first team. This entire team cant be on the pro bowl every year.

If we are going to go after a RB, give a brian westbrook, Marshall Faulk type RB.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine someone like Sproles in our offense....

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They really need another pass rusher in the front 7, i.e. - OLB opposite CMIII or a talented DE or NT that can pressure the QB. Trading up for a special one that TT and the scouting staff really likes would be worth it because play makers are what really win games and how many picks do they really need?

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaMichael James, would be perfect in this offense. A small, elusive 3rd down back to go with Starks and Grant. AWESOME!!!! But RB's are a dime a dozen, you can find a decent one throughout the draft, I want the Pack to focus on drafting BEEF, BEEF and more BEEF. Shore up both the offensive and defensive lines.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for the love of God, don't start this running back thing up again!!! It leads to chaos. We have Grant, Starks and Alex Green (who unfortunately is out for the season). Let us not forget Kuhn. I've actually been very impressed with our run game this season. With this recent injury to Starks, hopefully nothing serious, we might want to keep an eye on the RB situation. But it comes down to TT, I don't see TT drafting another RB unless the situation is dire.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Grant will be back next year, but if a rb like Trent Richardson falls to Green Bay whoever hands the card in needs to give the commissioner a really big hug. I don't think its a big need but its hard to pass on a talent like Richardson.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We need to draft offensive linemen and linebackers, I trust Starks, but I guess another RB wouldn't be too bad.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Grant will be back next year, but if a rb like Trent Richardson falls to Green Bay whoever hands the card in needs to give the commissioner a really big hug. I don't think its a big need but its hard to pass on a talent like Richardson.

I would be the first to buy a Richardson jersey, and I'm sure the Packers would get support from the Loyal Tide down here.

D

Dan115

I look for Driver,Clifton and Grant to be playing their last season with the Pack. Need a pass rusher on D. Always need good O linemen. Yes a running back. Woodson is getting up there in age also.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will grab one in the late rounds if he sees a sleeper, but let's not forget what this team's philosophy really is: a pass-first offense. McCarthy also won't go to a dedicated back as he prefers a committee approach. With all of that information in tow, I'm not sure what spending a high pick on a top RB will do. You'll get a Jermichael Finley at RB that gripes about not getting enough carries. There is ZERO chance that McCarthy will shift the offense away from Rodgers until he loses the hot hand. Then you might see a Mike Sherman-esque shift to an Ahman Green type of offense that baits teams into defending the run and then unleashes the passing hound in Rodgers. I think that is years down the road though.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No. No RB until the second day. Our #1 pick should be the best pass rusher on the board, whether he's a DE, DT, or LB.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clearly we lost pass rush when Cullen Jenkins left. I think we have to put Mike Neal in the Justin Harrell bin and leave that there. A stud rushing DE would take some of the pressure off Clay Mathews on the other side.
After DE, another safety(assuming Nick Collins is done--depending on talent they could go round 1 or 2 either way) and a center. It's time to start grooming Scott Wells replacement. They also will need to start grooming the next QB to leave via free agency behind Aaron Rodgers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a pass first team. Bigger priorities right now. Defense as a whole. But drafting at the bottom of the 1st round means best player available in most situations.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a pass first team. Bigger priorities right now. Defense as a whole. But drafting at the bottom of the 1st round means best player available in most situations.
32nd pick in most years would get a lot of the current starters on the Packers in the years they came out. Receivers and backs are the only playmakers that were there though, Most of the defensive studs and A-rod were gone way before then.

_Xyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think if you expect good out of our RB we need to improve the Offense Line.. I think Starks is really good but doesn't have to OLine to maximize his potential...

Lots of times you can have the worst running back, but having the good offense line to create the holes in the first place is not usually given enough credit.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
No. No RB until the second day. Our #1 pick should be the best pass rusher on the board, whether he's a DE, DT, or LB.

This. And there are a lot of them in the 2012 draft. Jared Crick, Billy Winn, Vinny Curry, Kendall Reyes, Ronnell Lewis, Courtney Upshaw, Brandon Jenkins, Quinton Coples. Lots of great DE's and OLB's

I also think it wouldn't hurt to consider a drafting a future replacement for Clifton.

RB in the 3rd or 4th if at all. Although I admit Lamar Miller and/or Lamichael James would be two guys I'd love to have wear green and gold. Lamichael James moreso. His skills as a receiver are great and he's incredibly elusive like a Darren Sproles.

It's going to be very, very hard to replace Charles Woodson. I don't think it will be a concern this year, but very soon.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This. And there are a lot of them in the 2012 draft. Jared Crick, Billy Winn, Vinny Curry, Kendall Reyes, Ronnell Lewis, Courtney Upshaw, Brandon Jenkins, Quinton Coples. Lots of great DE's and OLB's

I also think it wouldn't hurt to consider a drafting a future replacement for Clifton.

RB in the 3rd or 4th if at all. Although I admit Lamar Miller and/or Lamichael James would be two guys I'd love to have wear green and gold. Lamichael James moreso. His skills as a receiver are great and he's incredibly elusive like a Darren Sproles.

It's going to be very, very hard to replace Charles Woodson. I don't think it will be a concern this year, but very soon.
We need a replacement for Clifton? This is news to me.. Before Sherrod's and Newhouses injuries they both looked pretty good. And sherrod was a 1st round pick last year so i doubt that.. But i do agree with you on Woodson. Sadly, his days are numbered and he can't be god forever. But finding his replacement with the 32nd pick(hopefully!) isn't that easy a task. Especially when we need a guy like Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw more to help with our Pass Rush.

12theTruth

Clearly we lost pass rush when Cullen Jenkins left. I think we have to put Mike Neal in the Justin Harrell bin and leave that there. A stud rushing DE would take some of the pressure off Clay Mathews on the other side.
After DE, another safety(assuming Nick Collins is done--depending on talent they could go round 1 or 2 either way) and a center. It's time to start grooming Scott Wells replacement. They also will need to start grooming the next QB to leave via free agency behind Aaron Rodgers.

I agree on our needs but think its too early to give up on Neal. Another offseason of strength and fundamental training and I think he will contribute more.

12theTruth

For the pass first offense that the Packers employ I suppose Starks is sufficient but Saine looks to possibly have more upside and Starks doesn't appear all that durable especially considering his injury prior to the Packers drafting him. Grant has at least another couple solid yet unspectacular seasons left in him granted we decide to sign him after his one year deal this year.

I don't see a problem drafting a RB but it is down the list. A must if Grant leaves though.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to a RB. We have a pretty good RB situation in GB right now for how much they get used. Grant is gone after this year, but still have Starks, Green and Saine. The last two not sure what we have there but looking forward to finding out.

I think Ted should draft any position on defense except ILB and NT. I don't like people saying he should draft the best pass rusher available...that's the kind of "tunnel vision" thinking that leads to passing up supremely talented players that might be available at other positions. I understand the immense need for pass rush help, but really any position on D can use an upgrade aside from ILB and NT (assuming Collins doesn't come back, if he does I'd say safetly is solid too).

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a replacement for Clifton? This is news to me.. Before Sherrod's and Newhouses injuries they both looked pretty good. And sherrod was a 1st round pick last year so i doubt that.. But i do agree with you on Woodson. Sadly, his days are numbered and he can't be god forever. But finding his replacement with the 32nd pick(hopefully!) isn't that easy a task. Especially when we need a guy like Melvin Ingram or Courtney Upshaw more to help with our Pass Rush.

Sherrod not likely to play again til 2013...he very well might be a lost cause that was a major injury and he needed an off-season or two of strength and conditioning/OTA's and more playing experience. He will not get any of that this year.

Hate to be a negative Nancy but I think he might be done. I certainly don't think you can count on him being the LT ofhte future.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can't rely on Clifton to be back. It's going to be Newhouse with Sherrod doing the rehab, unless we do like we did last year when we drafted Sherrod in the 1st round.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts