Do the packers have the best WR core in the league?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we don't exactly know what it will look like do the packers have the best WR core in the league?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're talking about the best trio, we're right up there.

Thomas/Welker/Decker is right there too. The Falcons may have the best duo in White/Jones, but lack the depth after that.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Broncos clearly have the best trio in Demaryious Thomas, Eric Decker, and now Wes Welker.
But we're the 2nd best.

As far as ranking the whole corps, who knows... because we don't even know who will be our 4 & 5 guys once camp ends.
I like them though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sharper thinks so. Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, Finley (who considers himself a wideout) give us depth. Ross and Charles Johnson may develop into the next Cobb. Quarless may become the best tight end on the team. And Rogers makes all of them better.

M

mayo44

Broncos clearly have the best trio in Demaryious Thomas, Eric Decker, and now Wes Welker.
But we're the 2nd best.

I have to disagree and it has nothing to do with wearing tinted glasses of any color. Last year Manning targeted Thomas and Decker almost exclusively and Welker had been pretty much the only WR Brady would throw to for a long time. Rodgers distributes the ball far better than either Manning or Brady ever has. Thomas might be slightly better than either Jones or Nelson, but I would take either of them over Decker and there's no way I would trade Cobb for Welker either at this stage of his career. I'd call it a wash for the top three.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree and it has nothing to do with wearing tinted glasses of any color. Last year Manning targeted Thomas and Decker almost exclusively and Welker had been pretty much the only WR Brady would throw to for a long time. Rodgers distributes the ball far better than either Manning or Brady ever has. Thomas might be slightly better than either Jones or Nelson, but I would take either of them over Decker and there's no way I would trade Cobb for Welker either at this stage of his career. I'd call it a wash for the top three.
Come on now.

Decker = Jordy.
Welker & Thomas vs Cobb & Jones? That's pretty close, but look how many years Welker has put up huge numbers. And Thomas was a 1st Rd pick for a reason, he's a beast.... rare blend of size and speed. He finally had a passer last year, and you saw what happened, he blossomed.
He actually had some huge plays with the great battler but rubber-band arm Tebow the year before.

I love our 3 though.

M

mayo44

Decker = Jordy.
Welker & Thomas vs Cobb & Jones? That's pretty close, but look how many years Welker has put up huge numbers.

How many games have you seen where Brady got tunnel-vision and threw the ball to nobody but Welker for large stretches at a time, mostly little **** and dunk passes? Put Cobb on those teams and Brady probably would have thrown the ball at him 10 times a game too.

I love our 3 though.

Wouldn't trade them for Denver's either.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an interesting debate because Denver's top-3 is probably the closest comparison to our set.

D. Thomas reminds me more of Jordy when Jordy is healthy. Stretch the field type players. Thomas was considered not a great route runner before Peytron got there. Because of that, I'd give it to Jordy because I've never heard any issues with his route running and he is a far better sideline receiver - i.e. ability to toe-tap on passes on the sideline (remember that crazy catch at NYG a few years ago?!). And Jordy's athleticism is rarely appreciated because he is white. Put it this way, if D. Thomas was white, I bet a lot of people would compare him to Jordy.

JJ and Decker are very similar, and probably a wash. Nothing splashy, but both efficient and reliable. But for this reason alone
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
, I lean JJ :)

Finally, Cobb is better than Welker right now. Similar type of player, but Cobb is younger and stronger. Welker is on the downside of his career and started developing a case of the drops.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take our corp and depth over Denver and Atlanta's. Biased? Quite possibly. We've been down this road before. In the early 80's, I'd have taken our corp of Lofton, Jefferson, Coffman, and Epps, over anyone, including Duper/Clayton.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Do we have the best? No, top 3 indeed. But....I would rather have who we do now, they are a great trio. I'm just glad we are not one of those teams that has the one trick pony guy ( Calvin Johnson, B. Marshall), you cover either one of those guys well and there goes the game for them.

I love having a wide variety of good WR's and the way that our QB spreads the ball to them all, unlike brady did with welker, and Eli does to Cruz and many others.

Due to Denver having added weapons, I do think they are the team to beat in the AFC.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our W.R. corps is a little better because they get yards after the catch,Nelson is real good at that.Denver Manning does have good options so yea they come in 2nd.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, in todays game the WR distinction is artifical. WR and TE should be looked at as a group.

I'd disagree in that the majority of offenses still use TEs for a strong mix of blocking and catching. There has been a surge in pass-catching tight ends with Finley, Graham, Gronkowski, Hernandex, and others. However, it's still a small group of elite TEs that can actually stretch the field. There are still more Ed West-type tight ends in the league

H

HardRightEdge

I'd disagree in that the majority of offenses still use TEs for a strong mix of blocking and catching. There has been a surge in pass-catching tight ends with Finley, Graham, Gronkowski, Hernandex, and others. However, it's still a small group of elite TEs that can actually stretch the field. There are still more Ed West-type tight ends in the league

Wes Welker doesn't stretch the field...neither do many of the slot guys in the league. Quickness over long speed is typical. Should we exclude them?

Further, here is a list of the TEs who caught 50 or more balls last season, which is equal to or more than you'd expect in a typical #3 WR:

Witten: 110
Gonzalez: 93
Graham: 85
Myers: 79
Miller: 71
Olson: 69
Gresham: 64
Daniels: 62
Finley: 61
Pitta: 61
Pettigrew: 59
Celek: 57
Bennett: 55
Gronkowski: 55
Rudolph: 53
Lewis: 52
Tamme: 52
Hernandez: 51

Gates, Watson, and Davis didn't even make the list for various reasons.

Half the names in the top half of this list illustrate that the TE doesn't have to be 6'5" and run a 4.6 to be integral to the passing game. When you consider most teams concentrate their targets among 3 receivers, the TE is as often (if not more often) among those 3.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The TE roll has changed drastically in the past few years. No longer are they mainly used for the short yardage pass for a 3rd and 4 first down attempt.....they DO stretch the field. Guys like whitten don't stretch it by any means, but the guy catches more passes than most WR's do....hell, he had a game in 2012 where he caught 18 passes for 10 first downs....wowza.

Guys that do stretch the field are not that rare and do require good coverage:

Gronk, graham, hernandez, vernon davis, owen danials, antonio gates, finley,
gresham, delanie walker, celek, coby fleener.....that is 11 guys off the top of my head....I know there are more, but they are not rare by any means.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to say. Put Jones or Jordy on the Vikings and they may look pedestrian. Take a few of those scrubs on the Vikings and they may start looking pretty good if playing for the Packers. Additional factors are style of offense and other weapons. Recall that Welker was a FA pickup in Miami that was used poorly. Many where shocked when NE gave up a #2 for him. Whether it Brady or style of offense, he became special in NE, although he was still the same WR as he was in Miami.

Personally, I would have to say we are top 5.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Based on the history of the players currently on the team. They are in the top 5. People are overlooking Seattle. With the addition of Harvin, if Rice stays healthy and Tate becomes the player they thing he was when they drafted him, they could be a force to be reckoned with.

Members online

Latest posts