Diva #4 Retirement Night?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 will never be reissued, no matter what the feelings between the team and Favre, he is part of the franchise and will have his number retired and he'll be in the HOF as a Packer.

Yes Rodgers IS the face of the franchise now, but Favre was for 16 years, you can't ignore that even with his stupid BS.
5-6 years from now and most will forgive and move one, particularly if Rodgers brings 1-2 more Trophy's home.

players dont go into the HOF as part of a certain team.

I dont know about retiring his number, as that has always been reserved for class acts. Ring of honor? Sure why not. But anything more is undeserved. As far as issuing the #4 maybe they wont do that for many years but as seeing as they have issued retired numbers before I wouldnt be shocked to see someone in a #4 jersey in 10 or 15 years.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
players dont go into the HOF as part of a certain team.

I dont know about retiring his number, as that has always been reserved for class acts. Ring of honor? Sure why not. But anything more is undeserved. As far as issuing the #4 maybe they wont do that for many years but as seeing as they have issued retired numbers before I wouldnt be shocked to see someone in a #4 jersey in 10 or 15 years.

I agree, I don't think they should retire his number. I remember back to the day when they retired the 92, Reggie White. There is a man who truly deserved that honor and I will hold it in my heart until the end of my days. I'm sorry, but Favre's actions this past 5 years or so negates all. Retiring his number would be an act of blasphemy to me. Considering all the retiring a number represents in honor and symbolism, would you really want to look up at Lambeau Field and see the #4 hanging there and be reminded of all that?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#4 will never be reissued, no matter what the feelings between the team and Favre, he is part of the franchise and will have his number retired and he'll be in the HOF as a Packer.

Yes Rodgers IS the face of the franchise now, but Favre was for 16 years, you can't ignore that even with his stupid BS.
5-6 years from now and most will forgive and move one, particularly if Rodgers brings 1-2 more Trophy's home.
Exactly.
They are going to do whatever they will want to do and we won't be able to do a damn thing about it.
We can be unsatisfied, stomp and scream and cry but it won't change a thing.
Sure. I don't feel like #4 should be retired. Or at least anytime soon. But what can I do? I have no influence on the Packers organization.

But I would feel more comfortable if #4 was retired after A-Rod won another SB. Then that would help heal the wounds of BrINT and we would all know who the better QB really is.
And when A-Rod does win another SB, hopefully that will open up the head honchos eyes even bigger to see how over-rated BrINT was by blowing all those playoff games.

We also have no idea what is going on within the Packers offices. Where they are at weather or not to retire #4. All we can do is guess.
Was #4 as outstanding as a player as those before him whose numbers were retired?
Only one SB win. Leads the league in INTs and fumbles. Blown play off games year after year.
Yes he has the stats. But does he have more than that to warrant a retired number?

If I was a big cheese within the Packers here's what I would do.
I would tell BrINT that this is the year your number is going to be retired. Tell him the date. Then a month before it happens tell him: "Actually. We've changed our minds. We're not going to retire your number just yet." And keep doing it year after year! LOL

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
to me, Being a Packers fan means not making fun of a player who brought the team a great deal of success and highlights to remember for years. What ever Favre decides to do is his business. No point in knocking him .

I agree, we all should have moved past Favre by now, lets not beat a dead horse.

No matter where he plays, the man was my hero growing up. I was 10 years old when he got his starting job in 1992, and I'm not afraid to say I grew up worshipping him, but that is the past, and that's where it belongs. No matter how many stupid choices he makes, and playing only 2 years for the Queens is not going to destroy the 16 years I lived growing up watching him. All through my teen years, Brett Favre made me smile on sunday. Now that I am grown, it's Aaron Rodgers bringing me smiles on sundays. Aaron Rodgers is my hero now, he's the real face of our franchise now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question - would Brint even want to be in the Packer hall of fame? He said he went to the Vikes so he could stick it to us. Perhaps he will stay away as long as TT is in charge. This is yet another reason to sign TT to a 50 year extension.

At we win a few more SBs with AR at the helm, the need to appreciate BF in even the most staunch supporters will begin to diminish. My bet, is that in 5 years, the Pack have at least 2 more SB trophies, support for BF to be in the Packer HOF will drop to 1% - let alone retire his number.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's retire his number... and then un-retire it... and then retire it again... and then un-retire it... and then talk about retiring it.. and then text Peter King... and then retire it... and the next day un-retire it!
Eventually, un-retire and trade it to New York for a coupon for 10% on waffles.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One question - would Brint even want to be in the Packer hall of fame? He said he went to the Vikes so he could stick it to us. Perhaps he will stay away as long as TT is in charge. This is yet another reason to sign TT to a 50 year extension.
Plus when he was with the Yikes, same year he lost the NFCCG, he said it was the best team he had ever been on.
So he dissed the Packers SB team right there.
It's equivalent to saying "F U Packers. I don't need you anymore."
That is something fans and Packers management probably won't forget for a long time.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus when he was with the Yikes, same year he lost the NFCCG, he said it was the best team he had ever been on.
So he dissed the Packers SB team right there.
It's equivalent to saying "F U Packers. I don't need you anymore."
That is something fans and Packers management probably won't forget for a long time.

eh...he said that about at lest 3-4 other Packer teams after the Super Bowl season too...just Favre being Favre

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL. It is amazing how obsessed people are over Favre. Even after the current quarterback Mr. Rodgers won the game and the MVP for the game.

It is like Favre killed someone. SHUT UP. Most immature fans ever. I find it hilarious the people that are saying no more Favre, forget about him, lets not ever have his number/name in GB, etc. are the people brining him up and obsessing.

The poster who said it is like bringing up an ex, it is true. People are bitter. And it is hilarious.

It is pretty sad people define 15 years by a couple of months. Even after the franchise has clearly moved on and succeeded. People act as if he ***** and murdered someone.

Jesus. I've never seen such a sick obsession in my life.

It is like only talking about the ex, after getting married, while on the honeymoon. It really is.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
eh...he said that about at lest 3-4 other Packer teams after the Super Bowl season too...just Favre being Favre
He didn't want the Packers to win this SB. He was rooting for the Bears to beat us, don't forget. He changed his tune by the time the Packers were in the SB, but only said he thought we would win, I don't know if he went so far to say he wanted us to win. Even if he did say that, we know the truth - he would have been happier if the Bears won.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't want the Packers to win this SB. He was rooting for the Bears to beat us, don't forget. He changed his tune by the time the Packers were in the SB, but only said he thought we would win, I don't know if he went so far to say he wanted us to win. Even if he did say that, we know the truth - he would have been happier if the Bears won.

See, you are extremely paranoid. If he says one thing, he is lying. Or if he doesn't say it then he hates the Packers right? He literally can never do anything right again to you in his life, can he? You sound INSANE.

And no, he didn't change his tune before the Super Bowl. He changed his tune before the Philly game...(maybe Atlanta actually). But he said the Packers would win, he was rooting for them...they had the best team receivers (possibly ever) and quarterback. He said Dom Capers was the MVP.

He said this weeks before the NFC Championship. So....why are you making up your own facts???

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
LOL. It is amazing how obsessed people are over Favre. Even after the current quarterback Mr. Rodgers won the game and the MVP for the game.

It is like Favre killed someone. SHUT UP. Most immature fans ever. I find it hilarious the people that are saying no more Favre, forget about him, lets not ever have his number/name in GB, etc. are the people brining him up and obsessing.

The poster who said it is like bringing up an ex, it is true. People are bitter. And it is hilarious.

It is pretty sad people define 15 years by a couple of months. Even after the franchise has clearly moved on and succeeded. People act as if he ***** and murdered someone.

Jesus. I've never seen such a sick obsession in my life.

It is like only talking about the ex, after getting married, while on the honeymoon. It really is.

Agreed that we just won the Super Bowl and it's time to lay him to rest. We should have been done with him and moved on months ago.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score

At we win a few more SBs with AR at the helm, the need to appreciate BF in even the most staunch supporters will begin to diminish. My bet, is that in 5 years, the Pack have at least 2 more SB trophies, support for BF to be in the Packer HOF will drop to 1% - let alone retire his number.

Where did he ever say he went to stick it to the Packers. Like where did he come out and explicitly say that?

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
missing hoagie said "I am sure all would handle it with class,..."

He's right. The Packers will not embarrass the diva by having 70,000 fans booing a retirement ceremony. It will be many years before it is seriously discussed.

I think lombardi chick said that the owners should be polled on the idea of his number retirement. EXCELLENT idea. I'd be willing to agree to a decision by all of us.

I can't take credit for that idea (I'm not sure who it was), but to those who said to tell him we'd retire the number, wait - no we won't, retire the number, no we won't...THANK YOU for the laugh. :happy0005:

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Flynn, draft a new QB. Assign the new QB #4 and never bring the issue up. We have no need for #4, there is no benifit for a $25M marketing deal - or $100 marketing deal for that matter. Too many fans would shun any product associated with him. Now that AR is the new face of the franchise, we can move on and enjoy the new glory days and the new stars AR, Claymaker, the Raj, etc.

too many fans would shun any product associated with him ?

The NFL will be making money off his name for years to come. Just like Elway, Marino, Montana etc et al.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Where did he ever say he went to stick it to the Packers. Like where did he come out and explicitly say that?

If you want to "stick it to Ted", aren't you by extension attempting to stick it to the Packers and Packer fans, too? Especially by finally signing with the Vikings?

That's how that comment always felt to me. More people are involved in the team than Ted. You can't "stick it to" him without sticking it to the rest of us, really.

It kind of blew up in Favre's face, didn't it?

I often wonder what everyone would think of him now, had he just retired a Packer three years ago, and none of this sordid stuff had happened, and he hadn't thrown yet another pick to end yet another season, and he hadn't had such a disastrous year this past year. I've said before that if I could rewind it all, I would do it - I wish so much he had left while everyone loved him, and that he had just gone into broadcasting or something.

Hindsight tells us a lot - and one of the things it's telling us is that Ted really made the right decision.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to "stick it to Ted", aren't you by extension attempting to stick it to the Packers and Packer fans, too? Especially by finally signing with the Vikings?

That's how that comment always felt to me. More people are involved in the team than Ted. You can't "stick it to" him without sticking it to the rest of us, really.

I often wonder what everyone would think of him now, had he just retired a Packer three years ago, and none of this sordid stuff had happened, and he hadn't thrown yet another pick to end yet another season, and he hadn't had such a disastrous year this past year. I've said before that if I could rewind it all, I would do it - I wish so much he had left while everyone loved him, and that he had just gone into broadcasting or something.

Hindsight tells us a lot - and one of the things it's telling us is that Ted really made the right decision.

all hindsight tells you is the Packers were lucky to have a Hall of Famer and a well trained back up that succeeded after he left.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Me personally? Yes and No. I can definitely see how you would view it that way and many others. By no means that is wrong. I know with myself, personally. I've had some arguments/grudges per se against an individual near the top of an organization that I wanted to 'get back at'. But, I didn't have any ill will toward anybody else in the organization really. I mean I know it is my own case, and my own feelings. And I suppose even in my own case, in an extension, it was having ill feelings toward the organization by the whole.

Sure Brett had problems with Ted since 2005 when Rodgers was drafted. It was clear Brett was unhappy then. So obviously they had problems. There were times when Brett and MM didn't get along to well, but by the 2007 season, they were gelling (obviously because they were winning), but the whole time it was clear that he really only had a problem with Ted. I still believe that, maybe McCarthy too and Murphy. But, I didn't see him being bitter toward anybody else. And yes by extension it is against the Packers. But, that is the irrationality of a feud and a grudge. It is irrational, but I don't think that was his intent. He doesn't have any ill will towards the fans. The fans were heavily behind Brett at first (thought that quickly dwindled), but I can't see him have any bad feelings toward a huge majority of the players or the fans.

Everything is a result of people being irrational. Brett went about it the wrong way and became a drama queen. Screwed things up, wanted his revenge on a couple of people, but it made him look horrible (rightfully so). But it doesn't change the fact he didn't really do anything horrible. He never harmed or hurt me in anyway. He never hurt the organization really. They moved on, went 6-10 the first year with 5 close losses, then 11-5 and make the playoffs. The 3rd year they are Super Bowl champions. Only the Steelers and Saints (and now the Packers) have won the Super Bowl since Brett left....that is pretty darn good for GB :D.

I guess I don't care as much as others, but what was done...was done. Here we are now. The organization much better off, for the future especially. He didn't set fire to the stadium, didn't hold back the franchise for more than a couple of months. The man never quit on the team. As long as he was on the team, he tried his *** off. As much as he sucked in the playoffs that last 5 or 6 years in GB....he never quit on the team. And he played every single game once he made his first start. I appreciate that. You just don't brush that under the rug.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
all hindsight tells you is the Packers were lucky to have a Hall of Famer and a well trained back up that succeeded after he left.

Well, I take your point in that part of me will always love and appreciate the Favre years (even though they should have been more fruitful in terms of championships than they actually were), but I believe hindsight tells me also that the management of this team is in excellent hands (more than "luck"), and that it absolutely was time to make the transition.

Favre would have done himself a favor had he not struggled with it all so much. How different would his public image and legacy be today had he gone out on top, wearing a Packer uniform? To me, it's sad.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think time has come to make a separate sub forum for Brett

I got to agree with this.

He's been gone for 3 years now and Aaron Rodgers just took the team to a Super Bowl victory. But yet here we are debating whether or not or when he gets his number retired and so on.

People need to let the whole BF thing go already.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
As long as he was on the team, he tried his *** off. As much as he sucked in the playoffs that last 5 or 6 years in GB....he never quit on the team. And he played every single game once he made his first start. I appreciate that. You just don't brush that under the rug.

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially this. I mentioned just before I read your post that I will always love the Favre years. I'm just not so crazy about Favre himself anymore because it started feeling like he was trying to hurt me, even though someone else may have been his target. He might have thought about how that would all come off, don't you think? (Irrational, yes, I know.)

I'd love to see the relationship healed, if it can be.

All that said, I couldn't be happier that Aaron Rodgers is our starting quarterback, and I wouldn't change that for anything.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nice to see some pro favre fans come out of the woodwork to jump back on the bandwagon.

Members online

Latest posts