Disturbing Trend.....

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm sure you have noticed, our offense has been presented with opportunities to basically ice the game the past two weeks. All they had to do was score in the 4th quarter. Against Chicago we had to punt, which gave Cutler one last chance to make a comeback and then against Philly we had to punt, giving Vick a chance to make a comeback.

Fortunately, both times our defense came through with an interception. If we find ourselves in the same situation tomorrow, our offense has to close out the game. If they don't, I'm not sure our defense will continue to come up with the big play. This has been one of our problems the past few years; we can't close out games against good teams. We let them hang around, and often enough they end up getting back into the game and winning.

Is anyone else worried about this? Anyone else think they know the root of the problem? Anything that can be done to fix it?

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its more to do with the trust that MM & Dom Capers have in the defense. They know that the defense can stop anybody and not let the score. That has kinda been the case all season long!

Also, most of the teams that have done good in payoffs and super bowls are the ones that have good defenses and I think its a positive that we do that!

KSCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that it has quite a bit to do with the fact that whenever we get into a situation where we have the lead in a game and seem to be in control of the game MM decides that he is going to change up the game plan that has been working and goes to a much more conservative gameplan.

Fortunately, our defense has come to the rescue and saved us, however, unless MM keeps his foot on the throttle we could be in serious trouble.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
yeah me and my friend were discussing why teams who jump out to a big lead always seem to blow it. it because they start playing very conservative. but idk why you would do that. if something has worked for you all game why wont it continue to work?

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We actually blew two chances against Philly - one on Kuhn getting stuffed on 3rd-and-1 earlier in the quarter, and then another time on the 3rd-and-10 with 2:00 to go. Obviously this is a problem, since there are some teams you just can't give an extra opportunity with the ball. Hopefully we can convert those key third downs late in the game.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone else worried about this? Anyone else think they know the root of the problem? Anything that can be done to fix it?
Yes I'm worried about this, always.
While winning a close game feels great after it's over, it's heart attack city all the way thru the 4th quarter.

I might prefer games like our crushing wins over the Giants, 49ers, Vikings, Cowboys, and Bills.

People forget how lucky we got last week to win. If David Akers was the normal David Akers, we're probably done already and there are tons of people calling for MM's head right now and calling Rodgers a playoff failure at 0-2 career.

Packrat12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People forget how lucky we got last week to win. If David Akers was the normal David Akers, we're probably done already and there are tons of people calling for MM's head right now and calling Rodgers a playoff failure at 0-2 career.

I agree with everything in your post but this. I think the first fg was just a tough into the wind shot, that he would miss more than make. Most kickers would. That is putting your kicker in a tough spot. The second he pulled, should have made. We won by 5 and dominated throughout. If we had needed points the offense would have played more aggressive. I do not think we were lucky to win.

Now I do think that we should keep it on the throttle, and I hate close games when its my team. As a football fan, any other games I love to watch like that. Exciting, but when it is the Packers I want it to be over at the half.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I agree with everything in your post but this. I think the first fg was just a tough into the wind shot, that he would miss more than make. Most kickers would. That is putting your kicker in a tough spot. The second he pulled, should have made. We won by 5 and dominated throughout. If we had needed points the offense would have played more aggressive. I do not think we were lucky to win.

Now I do think that we should keep it on the throttle, and I hate close games when its my team. As a football fan, any other games I love to watch like that. Exciting, but when it is the Packers I want it to be over at the half.

Yeah I don't understand why people think Akers missing those kicks is the reason we won the game. Sure, it made the win easier, but do you honestly think we would have run-run-run-punt on our last two drives had he made those?

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why people think Akers missing those kicks is the reason we won the game. Sure, it made the win easier, but do you honestly think we would have run-run-run-punt on our last two drives had he made those?

Yeah I totally agree. The offense would have been far for aggressive and probably have gotten a TD. We moved the ball quite well against them for the most part.

And as a few posters have said, I absolutely agree that we need to be more aggressive in the 4th quarter and put the game away. Our defense came through the past two games, but it will need help from the offense eventually.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In response to anyone who brings up the Akers misses I bring up the bs call at the start of the game and the jones drop.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I'm sure you have noticed, our offense has been presented with opportunities to basically ice the game the past two weeks. All they had to do was score in the 4th quarter. Against Chicago we had to punt, which gave Cutler one last chance to make a comeback and then against Philly we had to punt, giving Vick a chance to make a comeback.

Fortunately, both times our defense came through with an interception. If we find ourselves in the same situation tomorrow, our offense has to close out the game. If they don't, I'm not sure our defense will continue to come up with the big play. This has been one of our problems the past few years; we can't close out games against good teams. We let them hang around, and often enough they end up getting back into the game and winning.

Could not agree with you more, you can not expect the defense to come up with another stop late in this game, offense needs to step on the neck and close out the game. I remember the teams of the early 90's struggled with developing that killer instinct.

I though MM really got crazy conservative I mean to the right of Marty Schotenheimer conservative in playcalling once the game got to 21-10. Started to play not to lose instead of playing to win. I thought once they got the 1st 1st down on Starks run they should have come back with a safe play action pass, instead 2 more runs and then the obvious pass on 3rd and 7 and suddenly the Pack is a Desmond Bishop(who has not gotten enough credit for that play) show lace tackle away from having to make a drive in the last minute and a half for the win.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could not agree with you more, you can not expect the defense to come up with another stop late in this game, offense needs to step on the neck and close out the game. I remember the teams of the early 90's struggled with developing that killer instinct.

I though MM really got crazy conservative I mean to the right of Marty Schotenheimer conservative in playcalling once the game got to 21-10. Started to play not to lose instead of playing to win. I thought once they got the 1st 1st down on Starks run they should have come back with a safe play action pass, instead 2 more runs and then the obvious pass on 3rd and 7 and suddenly the Pack is a Desmond Bishop(who has not gotten enough credit for that play) show lace tackle away from having to make a drive in the last minute and a half for the win.

Yes, I have compared him to Marty before. McCarthy actually served under Marty for a few years in the 90's Hopefully he didn't learn too much from him about playoff games.....

Members online

Latest posts