Discussing Tight-ends Only

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This comment was left on our IPB site, by a longtime Member of the Club, and brought up something that I had seen, but missed commenting about.... (so busy with just about everything else, I guess) - But, she does bring out a very valid point....

1packerfamily44 said:
The problem is the team as a whole is talent deficient, especially on the defense.

We have starters on defense that just don't belong on an NFL roster (thanks to Sherman).

I think Sherman is too proud to admit that Carroll doesn't belong on the roster since he drafted him #1.

Barnett is a push over in the middle of the field.

Ever notice how every opposing team's tight end has a "career" game against the Packers.

I do think that Bates is getting the most out of the defense which should say alot about the talent on defense.

I would offer that Bates "is seeing" exactly what she speaks of...
I would also offer that he's still trying to find that combination of players in the middle which can bring a better option... Nick Collins had a better game, this time around - but he's "still a rookie" and this year, he gets a free pass from me...

As far as Barnett is concerned, I'm not so sure his off-field activities, in downtown Green Bay, haven't been a distraction - and that would be a real shame.... You would think that in his 3rd year, Barnett's abilities would be taking him to the ProBowl - but, so far, that's not gonna happen!

Opinions - point out examples from previous games this year, please......

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think she is dead on with the comment about Ahmad Carroll he just doesn't seem to have the skills or mental capacity to be starter in the NFL, In his rookie year Barnett looked like a future pro bowler, but the last 2 seasons he has looked fair at best, I thought this would be his year to step up and be a team leader, but that hasn't happened yet. The only talent to speak of on defense is Nick Collins, he has played just as good as Sharper, the difference is Collins will get better. I do think that even with a lack of talent this defense will get better as the year goes on and surprise alot of people.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, tight ends are having a field day against Barnett. I think he was better his rookie year. Not only is he having a hard time dropping back into coverage, his tackling is something to be desired. He virtually never hits a runner and stuffs him, he hits him slides around behind and tries to pull him back. This is allowing ballcarriers to fall forward for an extra yard or two.
I think Barnett might be a little to light in the ******* for the middle.

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
IPBprez said:
You guys heard they let Ben (hands of) Steele go today...right?
They should have kept him and moved Martin to wide receiver, thats what he was in college, plus he is big and fast, he just can't block as a tight end.

Well, that's one option, Yooper.....

What about having kept Steele (at 6'5", btw) and turned him into a WR.?
He's dang sure tall enuf to give DB's a real hassle... all he needs to do is run....

As discussed earlier - this is where Sherman's boat won't float!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Steele or Martin would gain any separation as an NFL receiver against any NFL DB in my opinion. Maybe what we just saw from David Martin is going to carry on now. It's about time this guy shows some of his potential that everyone in the GB organization talks about. I can't believe he stayed as a Packer for as long as he did. All he's done so far is sit his *** in the hot tub and nurse injury after injury. I was happy to see him produce on the football field for once.

Members online

Latest posts