Digging through the NFL "trash"

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, 704 guys became available yesterday. Without question, there has to be a few who could help us. Who would you bring in for a look? I'd love to see these guys brought in for a workout:

Fernando Valasco: started all 16 games at center and guard for Titans last year

Jonathan Dwyer: Solid, proven RB

Brady Quinn: Smart and could learn the system quickly. Immediate upgrade over Coleman.

12theTruth

Okay, 704 guys became available yesterday. Without question, there has to be a few who could help us. Who would you bring in for a look? I'd love to see these guys brought in for a workout:

Fernando Valasco: started all 16 games at center and guard for Titans last year

Brady Quinn: Smart and could learn the system quickly. Immediate upgrade over Coleman.

I like Valasco. I don't see the Packers bringing in a RB. Quinn doesn't impress me. Had an awful year with the Chiefs last season.Packers would be better off trading for Flynn back.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Valasco. I don't see the Packers bringing in a RB. Quinn doesn't impress me. Had an awful year with the Chiefs last season.Packers would be better off trading for Flynn back.
Even with is Favre esq tendonitis issues over the last few years?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't Ted Thompson mainly or only build the team though the draft?
If so, then is this even worth discussing?
You guys can discuss whatever you want to.
I just want to be clear that we maybe shouldn't get our hopes up for anyone else joining the team if that's the case.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Steelers never seemed to warm up to Dwyer, which is strange because he's looked like the best RB on their roster at times. I heard he showed up to camp out of shape this year and my hunch is that there are some "professionalism" issues there. I would love to see us take a look at him, nonetheless. Change of scenery might do him some good.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't want Webb. He has no work ethic and doesn't even really care about football. He is just large and athletic with no desire to do anything other than cash a check.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to be clear that we maybe shouldn't get our hopes up for anyone else joining the team if that's the case.

What's the difference in this and any other discussion of free agency or the draft in advance? Nobody is pretending we have any say here.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not Brady Quinn.
This SO much
Max Starks or Webb are better than Newhouse.
Starks>Newhouse>>>Webb
Ted is well documented as one who takes full advantage of the waiver wire, especially for rookie FA. The trash has already been cut, we're looking at uncut gems and sensible veterans now.
What's the difference in this and any other discussion of free agency or the draft in advance? Nobody is pretending we have any say here.
This is far more likely?
Brandon Jackson is available!!!
Wouldn't mind, but I doubt it. Would trade in Kuhn for him in a beat.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

I may just bet you on this

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an interesting side note to this discussion, Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson have both been better than your average GM at drafting. How they differ in their talent acquisition is that Ron Wolf was great at bringing in low-level free agents to plug holes while Ted Thompson has been great at finding UDFAs after the draft.

That said, it would be great if TT can find some NFL gems that were thrown in the trash, but history doesn't look rosey in this realm. Luckily history is never a predictor of future success, just an indication of likely outcome.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota claimed former Chicago Bears offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb.
The Vikings have learned nothing from their failed acquisitions of former Bears players. The two worst units for the Bears in recent years have been at WR and OL. The Vikings got hosed on Devin Aromashodu and Bernard Berrian. Now they are taking the rejects from the Bears offensive line. I'd take a reject from the 49ers any day over the Bears. I'm not sold that Webb would have been any kind of an upgrade over Newhouse, and that's not saying much for Newhouse either

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have learned nothing from their failed acquisitions of former Bears players. The two worst units for the Bears in recent years have been at WR and OL. The Vikings got hosed on Devin Aromashodu and Bernard Berrian. Now they are taking the rejects from the Bears offensive line. I'd take a reject from the 49ers any day over the Bears. I'm not sold that Webb would have been any kind of an upgrade over Newhouse, and that's not saying much for Newhouse either
Idiots! The Vikings have picked up the Packers and Bears sloppy seconds but they forgot to cover all of their NFC North bases by not adding a Lion reject!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They tend to do really well with former Packers and terrible with former Bears....then again the Packers have been better than the Bears for the most part.

Members online

Latest posts