Different Scenerio....

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok,

Lets suppose for a moment. Just a moment.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesberger, and Carson Palmer all decide to retire next year. However, (I know this is impossible but let's just play "what if") before they retire, they want to play one year for the greatest organization in the NFL. They want to spend one year on the historic forzen tundra playing for the Green Bay Packers.

Who do you choose?

Would it even be concievable to turn them all down and go with someone who has yet to start an NFL game? Regardless of how promising his career may be?

Now, look at those three again and say, only one of them has this scenerio. Would you than consider going with the promising but unproven career and say no to any one the top four?

I think that if the Green Bay Packers were an average team, or re-tooling, or rebuilding, you might just go with the promising career QB. But, that is not the case with the Packers.

One play. One kick. That is how close the packers were from the Superbowl. One play.

Since every single player but one returned, you might think that it is a no brainer they have the expectation and ability to get to where they were last year. Since the team is young, you would also expect the returning players to have improved with all that valuable experience. One catch though. That one player? He happens to play the single most influencial position on the team, QB. But he wasn't just an average or decent QB, he was a starting probowl QB. He was top notch with the experience to mentally pick apart the defense.

So what do you do?

My guess is simple. You are a step from the holy grail. One that is not easily reached. Nor easily duplicated, just ask the '85 Bears.

Manning would fit nice. Make that run. So would Brady, the "Ice man". Rothlesberger has also proven he can do it. Palmer has been brilliant even on a horrible team.

Do you take a chance with the unproven or do you go for the gusto and reach for the stars? After all, if unsuccessful this year, you still have an even more talented and experienced team to return in '09 to support that unproven QB waiting in the wings. Now, he might not like waiting another year but he won't leave. Not when the team he is on and comfortable with has so much talent around him and the best shot to start. Not where he is recieving a huge boost in pay, one that is larger than what should be paid to a newly starting QB. Plus his coaches believe in him, more than any other league coaches who didn't think enough to draft him a few years ago.

So what do you do?

Oh by the way, Brett Favre just texted me........you can go ahead and add him to that list.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packone, it was Roethielisburegereerrs 2nd or 3rd year in the league that they won.

And in response to the thread, I would have a hard time saying no to Brady or Manning to replace Rodgers for one year only.

The thing that makes all four of these guys so appealing, though, is the fact that they are in the prime years of their careers. Were Brady or Manning to be 38 years old and coming off a resurgent year, I think I'd take a guy who mirrors what Rodgers is right now all day.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy would easily pick one over Rodgers just like Id choose Favre over him. Only catch is what if this year we make it further. Say we make the superbowl and then lose. What are we gonna say then? Favre one more year we can win it next year?

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok,

Lets suppose for a moment. Just a moment.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlesberger, and Carson Palmer all decide to retire next year. However, (I know this is impossible but let's just play "what if") before they retire, they want to play one year for the greatest organization in the NFL. They want to spend one year on the historic forzen tundra playing for the Green Bay Packers.

Who do you choose?

Would it even be concievable to turn them all down and go with someone who has yet to start an NFL game? Regardless of how promising his career may be?

Now, look at those three again and say, only one of them has this scenerio. Would you than consider going with the promising but unproven career and say no to any one the top four?

I think that if the Green Bay Packers were an average team, or re-tooling, or rebuilding, you might just go with the promising career QB. But, that is not the case with the Packers.

One play. One kick. That is how close the packers were from the Superbowl. One play.

Since every single player but one returned, you might think that it is a no brainer they have the expectation and ability to get to where they were last year. Since the team is young, you would also expect the returning players to have improved with all that valuable experience. One catch though. That one player? He happens to play the single most influencial position on the team, QB. But he wasn't just an average or decent QB, he was a starting probowl QB. He was top notch with the experience to mentally pick apart the defense.

So what do you do?

My guess is simple. You are a step from the holy grail. One that is not easily reached. Nor easily duplicated, just ask the '85 Bears.

Manning would fit nice. Make that run. So would Brady, the "Ice man". Rothlesberger has also proven he can do it. Palmer has been brilliant even on a horrible team.

Do you take a chance with the unproven or do you go for the gusto and reach for the stars? After all, if unsuccessful this year, you still have an even more talented and experienced team to return in '09 to support that unproven QB waiting in the wings. Now, he might not like waiting another year but he won't leave. Not when the team he is on and comfortable with has so much talent around him and the best shot to start. Not where he is recieving a huge boost in pay, one that is larger than what should be paid to a newly starting QB. Plus his coaches believe in him, more than any other league coaches who didn't think enough to draft him a few years ago.

So what do you do?

Oh by the way, Brett Favre just texted me........you can go ahead and add him to that list.

Absolutely Beautiful post. Why in the world it doesn't register with some people I'll never know. If Brett's production had fallen off it would be one thing but the guy payed at such a high level last year, which is where the Pro Bowl thing comes from.

Again, call me a Favre Firster because I want the Packers to be the best team they can be THIS YEAR, that's fine. I just don't see how any logical person would not want that. They would rather put hope in the unproven then the guy that helped lead them to an overtime kick away from the big dance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts