Different Playbooks for Each QB?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While working tonight I've got the Redskins/Steelers replay on in the background. After Cousins left the game injured and was replaced by Grossman, one of the tv announcers stated that it seems as though Mike Shanahan has different playbooks/calls for each QB. It made sense since Robert Griffith, Cousins, and Grossman all have different styles.

It got me to thinking about whether MM has something similar for our QBs. I can't recall seeing much of a difference in the play calling. In reality, you don't need different playbooks but a different script of play calls that cater to each QBs talents and weaknesses. It seems to me that MM calls it the same way no matter who is in the game.

Thoughts?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think he has different options/plays for QBs who can run and get 1st downs/yardage vs those who can't.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You underestimate just how big a playbook is. More than enough room to make a set of preferred plays for each QB. A "package" if you will.;)

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could always ask a certain former disgruntled QB of what plays Mike has for the different GB QBs. :rolleyes:
I'm sure he'd be more than happy to share those secrets, yet again.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
the NFL playboks are MASSIVE. They may have 300+ offensive plays. While each QB is different, they all have their strong points and weaknesses. They all need to know the offensive playbook, but playing to their strong points is a smart idea. Say for example that Kirk cousins was a better passer on the run than rex grossman, the coach may have more designed roll out plays for cousins vs how many he has set up for grossmans style. But, the QB's still need to know all the plays reguardless of being strong in certain areas or not.

BTW, wtf was up with rex grossman? He actually was throwing the ball....GOOD ? LOL

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and that was my point. It seemed that Shanahan was tailoring his play calls to each QB. I don't think I've ever seen that out of MM, despite the reports about how massive and complex the GB playbook happens to be.

It could be a philosophical difference, in that MM believes in his system and that each QB needs to execute as called. I'm with everyone else that it makes more sense to put the round peg through the round hole instead of the square one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

It could be a philosophical difference, in that MM believes in his system and that each QB needs to execute as called. I'm with everyone else that it makes more sense to put the round peg through the round hole instead of the square one.

OFF TOPIC OBSERVATION
:
Most of the old dairy barns in this part of the world have square pegs in round holes holding the beams and bracing in place. If they are kept up and continuously used, they will outlast most of the recent construction. Try to drive a round peg through a round hole in two separate timbers and have a tight joint. Square pegs were easier to make than round while the round hole was easy to drill. A square peg will mushroom out in the joint keeping it tight. Actually the square pegs were slightly angled to the point similar to Washington monument.

Members online

Latest posts