Different look to the Offense????

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed that the Pack has signed quite a few WR's this offseason. I don't think it is strictly because of need, i think it is more of want. They seem to be looking for a specific type of receiver. All of the guys they have signed and drafted this offseason have tremendous SPEED. It really seems to be a big emphasis this year opposed to previous years. I know we have receivers that can run already, Jennings and Driver were not burners, i am talking about "BLOW THE TOP OFF THE DEFENSE" speed. I have heard Myles White name mentioned in numerous articles. James Jones has even mentioned that he has taken Myles White under his wing. This new guy Sinkfield was clocked at 4.19 in the 40 during a pre draft workout. The big guy Johnson from Grand Valley State can fly also. I'm thinking MM has another section in that playbook that he wants to bring out. If this running game is successful (which i think it will be), we may see a lot of deep down the field passes. Thoughts?????

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think this represents anything different in McCarthy's offensive philosophy. Remember how often and how successfully they went deep in 2011? I'll bet those plays are still part of the playbook. If there is a change in the offense I expect it to be a little more reliant on the running game (which McCarthy guarantees will be better) and taking better advantage of teams which play a version of cover 2 against them. IOW, a little more ball control. Cobb, Finley, maybe Boykin, and Quarless if he stays healthy and continues to build on a good start in OTAs and minicamp will probably play bigger roles in the middle of the field than a speedster.

IMO they're just trying to add a missing element to their WR corps. Right now they have 12 WRs on the roster but both of the two seventh round WRs have missed practice time, so I think it's a case of bringing in multiple speedsters hoping one or two work out. At this point, my guess is Boykin or Ross will still be ahead of whichever speedster makes the roster.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
with Nelson and jennings out hurt so much in the 2012 season, they may be wanting to test the waters with some other big/speedy/hands guys to have added depth so the long ball game wont go away if an injury occurs.

IMO, this years offense will be just as potent, if not more potent than the 2011 offense.....now we have a dynamic run threat that demands respect and will help to open more passing with play action.

H

HardRightEdge

I've noticed that the Pack has signed quite a few WR's this offseason. I don't think it is strictly because of need, i think it is more of want. They seem to be looking for a specific type of receiver. All of the guys they have signed and drafted this offseason have tremendous SPEED. It really seems to be a big emphasis this year opposed to previous years. I know we have receivers that can run already, Jennings and Driver were not burners, i am talking about "BLOW THE TOP OFF THE DEFENSE" speed. I have heard Myles White name mentioned in numerous articles. James Jones has even mentioned that he has taken Myles White under his wing. This new guy Sinkfield was clocked at 4.19 in the 40 during a pre draft workout. The big guy Johnson from Grand Valley State can fly also. I'm thinking MM has another section in that playbook that he wants to bring out. If this running game is successful (which i think it will be), we may see a lot of deep down the field passes. Thoughts?????

I think we have 12 WRs among the 90 at this point.

I've been saying since early last season, when we started having trouble with cover 2, that we need a guy who can stretch the field. A burner who can take a safety deep in a hurry can open up intermediate routes, Rodgers' bread and butter.

Yeah, we have a lot of raw speed among those rookies. Step 2...who has hands? Step 3...who shows quick breaks in his routes (Tori Gurley's weakness). Step 4...who shows he's grasping the playbook? Step 5...who shows he can take a hit and won't short arm balls over the middle....some fearlessness. The guys who score highest will snag the one or two spots open on the 53 man or a spot on the practice squad. If one of the speedsters can snag the #5 spot and get some snaps it would be a plus.

Then comes the work to earn an "advanced degree". There are a lot of talented WRs who come into the league, some highly drafted, who cross those hurdles but take a year or two (and sometimes never) to get the hang of the complete route tree, reading defenses and executing option routes. When you play with Aaron Rodgers, you better learn to see what he sees and get to where he wants to throw the ball. Running "out" when Rodgers (or any QB for that matter) sees "in" is a mistake you don't want to repeat.

When thinking about these WRs, especially the small college guys, you have to think 2014 or 2015 before they'd have a chance at a meaningful impact. James Jones will be a FA after 2013 and 30 years old at that point. Nelson will be a FA after 2014 and 30 years old then. Nobody knows if those guys will still be around, including TT.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The more they have at a skilled position the % goes up to get a very good player

Reaction score
I guess if we run it alot more, that'll set up huge Play Action plays... Jordy and Jones have alright speed - but a dude with super speed could blah, deep passes, whatever.... I just hope we block better.

Members online

Latest posts