Did the coaches make any adjustments

gopackgopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I know we had a number of injuries to our secondary but did Capers and the Defense staff try any adjustements? If so they were not visible, we kept getting beat in the middle all day long?

Why not try some man coverage if the zone is failing so badly?

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to agree here. . .I too have the same question.

But to be completely straight forward, this was something that was exposed far before this game occured, Warner just had a better game than other QBs that could throw well.

We played Minnesota, although earlier in the season and Favre went to town at breaking us down. . .ok he's a legend and can do this to almost any defense. . .moving on to Pittsburgh, Big Ben did this and although he's a great QB I think there are plenty out there that are much better and he's not in the Brees, Favre, Manning, Rodgers category in my eyes at breaking down defenses.

This is when we should have realized, we have a serious flaw in our defense. . any team with a spread offense and a solid QB will tear us up for big yardage and unless our offense can out score them, our defense is in trouble.

I was REALLY hoping that if Warner had one of his bi-polar games where he was just amazing (and he did) that we would have something in our back pocket to adjust to it.

I just seems that the major flaw is our defense versus a spread offense. . .I also think they should've been ready due to the fact that the possible QBs that we may face in the playoffs would be Brees, Warner, Favre. . .and that's JUST the NFC.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers lost to the Vikings, they weren't blown out and I think one of the main reasons they lost was that they couldn't keep Rodgers upright. As far as Arizona and Pittsburgh, they all run the same defensive scheme and know how to attack it. The Packers lit up both the Cards and Steelers too and could well have beat the Steelers if they didn't have so many DB injuries. They also could well have won against the Cards so I'm optimistic about next year especially when then have several DBs coming back from injury.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the Packers lost to the Vikings, they weren't blown out and I think one of the main reasons they lost was that they couldn't keep Rodgers upright. As far as Arizona and Pittsburgh, they all run the same defensive scheme and know how to attack it. The Packers lit up both the Cards and Steelers too and could well have beat the Steelers if they didn't have so many DB injuries. They also could well have won against the Cards so I'm optimistic about next year especially when then have several DBs coming back from injury.

Yeah that's a good call, I just felt that the middle of our defense was completely exposed earlier in the season and I was hoping for perhaps a few adjustments but as you said injuries really hurt us. . .no pun intended there =P

You make good points though, I mean even though we were lit up against certain teams. . .we still had an offense that could keep up and almost win those games. Next year should be a real treat for us Packer die hards!

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
(...)
Next year should be a real treat for us Packer die hards!

Or it could be another 2008 season (from the looks of the schedule - based on this season - it might not go as well next season as it has this season) ...

All I'm saying is if you don't have "high" expectations from the get go, it won't hurt as much when or if the "Big Game" doesn't happen ...

The future does look bright, but every season the tables are turned upside down ... So while I'm hoping for a succesfull season next year, I'm not getting the hopes up too high just yet ...

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or it could be another 2008 season (from the looks of the schedule - based on this season - it might not go as well next season as it has this season) ...

All I'm saying is if you don't have "high" expectations from the get go, it won't hurt as much when or if the "Big Game" doesn't happen ...

The future does look bright, but every season the tables are turned upside down ... So while I'm hoping for a succesfull season next year, I'm not getting the hopes up too high just yet ...

Yeah I agree with you there, this is the NFL and to be honest everything is out the window on game day it seems. I think that's what makes the NFL so fun to watch. . .even when you think you got it down, there's always a big surprise waiting at the end that will have you scratching your head or cheering your face off.

There is one thing that I found this season that I have missed in years past and that is an accurate QB in Rodgers. Watching Favre and I love the guy to death, but I would be holding my breath more than waiting for the dagger long pass from him. . .Rodgers I have all the confidence in the world in when he drops back or rolls out and that makes watching the Pack a lot more settling.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with you there, this is the NFL and to be honest everything is out the window on game day it seems. I think that's what makes the NFL so fun to watch. . .even when you think you got it down, there's always a big surprise waiting at the end that will have you scratching your head or cheering your face off.

There is one thing that I found this season that I have missed in years past and that is an accurate QB in Rodgers. Watching Favre and I love the guy to death, but I would be holding my breath more than waiting for the dagger long pass from him. . .Rodgers I have all the confidence in the world in when he drops back or rolls out and that makes watching the Pack a lot more settling.

I agree with you on Rodgers ... - But I can't help but think that he'll be a somewhat different quarterback next season ...

Meaning, I don't expect him to throw for as "gaudy" numbers next season really, however I do think (and hope) he might become more effective with the ball, in terms of (not) holding on to it looking for the deep play (as we've seen in the latter part of the season this year ...

Throwing the ball away more, will affect his ratings, and that is something I think there might be more off ...

What I also think is that the days of "running the ball up the gut" will become less and less in the future ... Especially with how the NFL has "progressed/degressed" into being a "passer's game" really ... (changed rules on the PI for one and the Brady-Rule another example) ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I've gathered from this season is that next season, Green Bay needs to become more of a bruising offense, if it wants to advance its game to the next level. By that I mean TT needs to seriously - not casually - address the O-line so that our running game can become something to lean on for scoring and time of possession.

To me, that's far easier than having coaches devise and adjust schemes to cover a few weaknesses that probably cannot be solved in one draft (in regards to the defense). I would prefer if TT can find a few guys in free agency instead of the draft because that would make for a quicker transition.

Our passing offense is outstanding, but like we've seen all year - it scores too quickly and then our defense is back onto the field, which is not good if the offense we're facing knows how attack it. I'd like to see us get back to Holmgren-style with 7-10 minute slow, plodding drives that end in TD's and shave oodles of time off the clock.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I know we had a number of injuries to our secondary but did Capers and the Defense staff try any adjustements? If so they were not visible, we kept getting beat in the middle all day long?

Why not try some man coverage if the zone is failing so badly?

In the second half, Capers was trying to get creative with blitz packages. It almost seemed like he conceded the fact we couldn't cover anybody, so he tried to force Warner into making mistakes. The Cards countered with a lot of quick, 3 step drop passes. Since we were blitzing so frequently, passes over the middle were easy pickings for Warner.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's gonna hate to be told some of his "golden boys" are going to have to be replaced to improve the defense.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's gonna hate to be told some of his "golden boys" are going to have to be replaced to improve the defense.

I don't think that the coaches were as much to blame as the playcalling. Leroy butler and several sports analysts have all explained that the best adjustment in that situation would be to implement a play called cover 1 robber in which everyone plays man to man with a safety over the top and the ilb covering the middle. The packers had it in the deep pages of its playbook but capers never called it. This play is very interesting b/c bob sanders our old d coordinator loved to call this. I think what tue pack need to do is continue with the 3-4 but go back to what to what they were doing right in the old scheme and reintegrate that into the new D.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is what you all are looking for.

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Jan. 13, 2010 5:42 p.m.

All three coordinators spoke to the media today. We'll be bringing you some of their comments in the coming days, but figured you all want some answers about the defense off of Sunday's game. So we'll start with defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

Capers speaks - JSOnline

OP
OP
G

gopackgopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Mr. StyleZ thats what I was looking for. I like Capers but a failure that bad has to in part come down to a failure in coaching. I guess its partly perception the Cardinals Defense was just as bad against us but they got the W...

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gotta love his answer to this one...

(Do you expect teams to follow Cardinals' lead and double Clay Matthews?)
We're going to see that. You don't have to look at much tape. All they had to look at was the tape from the week before. We anticipate that so, yes, we have to respond to that. You get one guy that starts to do the things that Clay's done here the second half of the season. Clay's going to get a lot of attention from now on. It's not going to be a secret now they're going to have to find a way to block Clay Matthews coming off the edge.

So did Capers not expect Matthews to be doubled and have a plan in place for this? WTF? I'm pretty sure 99.9% of Packer Nation expected Clay to be doubled.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts