Desmond Bishop

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name two guys who you saw tackle better than Bishop the last two seasons. You'd be hard-pressed to do so.
To be honest I'd have to go back & watch the replays but I do remember several games where the defense couldn't tackle if their life depended on it

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop wasn't the problem, though. AJ Hawk is the weak link at ILB.
Hawk has 3 years left on his contract. He would have to have a totally exceptional year in order for the Pack to keep him. If not then they need to cut him before next season

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk has 3 years left on his contract. He would have to have a totally exceptional year in order for the Pack to keep him. If not then they need to cut him before next season

Agreed, though it's sad. I'll miss him when he's gone. One of my favorite players no matter how disappointing.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2 years I can see DJ Smith and Manning the starting ILBs unless Bishop shows hes better then 1 of then and comes fairly cheap on his next contract.

Those guys would REALLLY need to step up in some outrageous way to bump both of our current starters. I could see Hawk getting bumped if he continues his trend of disappointment, But Bishop has shown no reason to go anywhere. He may not be a show stopper of the defense, But in our 3-4 that guy is Clay Matthews. Bishop is a solid player and would be a starter on pretty much any team in the NFL right now IMO.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys would REALLLY need to step up in some outrageous way to bump both of our current starters. I could see Hawk getting bumped if he continues his trend of disappointment, But Bishop has shown no reason to go anywhere. He may not be a show stopper of the defense, But in our 3-4 that guy is Clay Matthews. Bishop is a solid player and would be a starter on pretty much any team in the NFL right now IMO.

Exactly, well put. DJ Smith may knock Hawk out, but Bishop is worth the money. No way he gets forced out for Manning unless he's the next Patrick Willis.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Exactly, well put. DJ Smith may knock Hawk out, but Bishop is worth the money. No way he gets forced out for Manning unless he's the next Patrick Willis.

Bishop will be 30 when his contract is up in a few years and he's going to want Hawk type money. Hawk or Bishop aren't worth Hawk type money.
Dont get me wrong, Bishop is a good player just not Pro-Bowl caliber, also hes not worth the 5yr -40M-25M grnted that he'll want. It will only work if he comes cheap.
I think Manning and Smith starting in a few years will be more about money and less about talent.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop will be 30 when his contract is up in a few years and he's going to want Hawk type money. Hawk or Bishop aren't worth Hawk type money.
Dont get me wrong, Bishop is a good player just not Pro-Bowl caliber, also hes not worth the 5yr -40M-25M grnted that he'll want. It will only work if he comes cheap.
I think Manning and Smith starting in a few years will be more about money and less about talent.

It all depends on how Bishop is playing at 30. That's all that matters. Right now he deserves to be starting.

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome aboard packa7x. It seems that we're pulling each other around to different sites.

Thanks, Guapo! Yeah, after the NFP debacle, we needed to keep in touch. Love it here. The FB Pros site usually isn't like that, but I guess we're all so damn bored with the offseason :)

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop at his best is MUCH better than Hawk at his best. Bishop can actually make plays behind the line of scrimmage and cause turnovers. D.J. Smith can also make plays and can run a little bit,which Hawk can't. People are forgetting Brad Jones who, though not so hot against the run is better than Hawk is and is much MUCH better in coverage. Seriously, he's one of the best linebackers in coverage that I saw this year.

So yeah, Hawk isn't going to help this defense on first or second down (Bishop, Smith and maybe Manning have more upside) and third down should be Jones (for coverage, assuming 3rd and longish). Let Hawk go.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not really sure it "needed to be seen." What's it mean in english?
Pretty sure it means something akin to "Get back in the saddle and go out in a blaze of glory" the conversation context and the word "juice" seem to indicate they are trying to motivate each other, but the way he said it... NO clue who blizzard is...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So yeah, Hawk isn't going to help this defense on first or second down (Bishop, Smith and maybe Manning have more upside) and third down should be Jones (for coverage, assuming 3rd and longish). Let Hawk go.
While I agree with you, do you know what the financial ramifications are of "letting Hawk go"?
Would any team trade anything for Hawk with the contract he has? Doubtful, but it only takes one.
Raiders? Jaguars? Bills? Browns back in Ohio? I feel that Ted should be able to get something for him from someone.

But here's the danger: He's been the only LB who has stayed durable. He's not injury-prone like, it seems, everyone else is. Our coaches value that a lot. Perry didn't help anyone on IR. Neither did DJ Smith, Des Bishop, etc. Barnett was hurt too a lot. Wrist, knee, arm, etc.
Hawk, for some reason, doesn't get hurt like those guys. Maybe because he's not involved in any big collisions? Is that why he never makes big plays like forced fumbles? Partly? Not sure. But he has been durable. Still way overpaid though.

Chris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that Bishop is strong and pretty physical and plays the run well. I just don't like that he's slow. So to make up for that, get rid of AJ Hawk, he's overpaid for being how crappy he is, and draft or hit FA for somebody to play in the middle with Des. I did like Smith in the middle, he was a little undersized but he played pretty physical. He's quick too. Too bad he got hurt. Still need more depth at linebacker.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think it's all that complicated. LBs are called upon to do 3 things: tackle, cover and rush the passer. The guys who can do all 3 well make Pro Bowls. The 49er's have even taken to pulling Willis in nickel under some circumstances.

Bishop was the most physical presence on this defense, solid against the run and a good blitzer. He's just not that good in coverage...not exactly terrible, but a step slow covering TEs and backs making him something of a liability in coverage. Absent a Pro Bowl partner in the middle, the answer is to pair him with a guy who can cover and do some hitting, while not necessarily being a good blitzer.

Members online

Latest posts