Desmond Bishop

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been a DB fan for years since his playing days at Cal. He was languishing on the bench for GB for a few years until he got his big break last season filling in for all the injuries among the LBs. Is he considered a bonafide starter this year? I know that he has taken some heat in the past for pass coverage and being out of position at times.

Reaction score
He was always the talk for preseason whether he would get more playing time. He would always do great on special teams and in preseason but never seemed he could get into a regular season game. Until Barnett git hur he couldn't get playing time. From what i've seen from him I thought he was better than hawk last year. He and hawk had similar statistics last season . Bishop had 103 tackles hawk had 111 but i believe hawk played more games. Bishop is a very solid player from what i saw last year

Reaction score
The packers were actually thinking of trading hawk to let bishop play this year... After the injuries he proved to be an exceptional all around linebacker... He is 110% guaranteed to start and is our second best linebacker behind Matthews. He and Williams went from solid reliable backups for a few seasons to both being the excellent playmakers on the defense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF had him as the highest rated player on defense last season. keep in mind their rating system favors large amounts of snaps, low penalties, and no weakness in your game.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
And he recovered the fumble in the SB at a CRITICAL point in the game (thanks to Matthews). So, you can say he was a critical piece of our SB winning team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bishop is without a doubt a bonafide starter. The organization "said so" when they extended his contract and gave him starter's money and confirmed it by waiving Barnett. We could always see his potential for being a playmaker but what we heard and saw was he was not assignment sure. (HCs and coordinators seem to have a bigger problem with players who aren't assignment sure than many fans do.) Barnett may be more physically talented than either Hawk or Bishop but IMO the combination of Hawk and Bishop is better than the combination of Barnett with either of them. And both Hawk and Bishop are 27 years old while Barnett just turned 30.

OP
OP
T

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to hear that most everyone sees Bishop as a bonafide starter. At 27 years old, he should be reaching his peak as an NFL player. If he continues to improve his play as he did last year, do you see him at the Pro Bowl level or more as a solid starter? Even if he gets out of position occasionally, you have to love his hard-nosed aggressive style and enthusiasm.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a very solid player who gives his best efforts every sunday. He'll be the starter for the next few years unless an injury derails that but talent wise you couldn't hope for a better ILB in a Packer uniform.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And he recovered the fumble in the SB at a CRITICAL point in the game (thanks to Matthews). So, you can say he was a critical piece of our SB winning team.

that was a very athletic fumble recovery, scooped the ball up swiftly in one quick motion, guys got some great instinct and an obvious playmaker...one of my favorite plays is the Eagles first offensive snap in the playoffs, bishop comes off the edge on a blitz and SMACK!!!DOWN!!! on Vick...loved it!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That play he had to keep the ball in bounds after an awkward hop against the Giants just showed how good of a linebacker he is. First off was a very athletic move to keep it in bounds, Second to change from trying to recover to realizing he needed to keep the ball in in bounds showed great reaction time and presence of mind and Third he immediatly turned around in case he needed to get back in to try and help recover the ball, showing he never gives up until the whistle is blown.
About as close to a complete inside 3-4 linebacker as you can find.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
And he HITS people. I always loved watching him on special team. He would bring it.

Staff online

Latest posts