DeShawn Wynn

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking back at his combine stats...
5-11, 228 lb, 4.45 40-yard dash :eek:
I really didn't pay much attention to him until recently and his 40 time is the same as Mendenhall and he weighs more.
I know he was hurt and I forgot about him after Ryan Grant, but that is one fast 40 time for his size, looks like he could tear it up if he stays healthy. I know a player needs more than speed to be good but, I think he will bring much help in the running game next year as a solid third down RB. What do you guys think?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is good. I also think he's soft. Hopefully, he will be toughened up a little bit come July, August, September... Hopefully, he can contribute all season long. From what I've seen, he looks very good. Problem is, we haven't seen much.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just looking back at his combine stats...
5-11, 228 lb, 4.45 40-yard dash :eek:
I really didn't pay much attention to him until recently and his 40 time is the same as Mendenhall and he weighs more.
I know he was hurt and I forgot about him after Ryan Grant, but that is one fast 40 time for his size, looks like he could tear it up if he stays healthy. I know a player needs more than speed to be good but, I think he will bring much help in the running game next year as a solid third down RB. What do you guys think?

From what I've seen, he's quite good.

He slipped in the draft because of character issues. He's accused of not having a strong work ethic and not keeping in the shape he should be in. That's why he was drafted so late.

If he "grows up," he'd be a heck of a bruiser back. If he doesn't, we'll cut him. It's actually quite sad because the kid has a lot of potential.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="Zombieslayer If he "grows up," he'd be a heck of a bruiser back. If he doesn't, we'll cut him.[/quote]

LOL

Zombie is somehow related to T.T. I am sure of it.

The Perfect Message To Send To Every Player On The Roster Going Into Spring Workouts.

T.T.'s Business Philosophy On Packer Players.

"Some Will, Some Won't, So What.... NEXT."

I like it, I love it, I can not get enough of it.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn did a great job while on the field. His obvious problem was staying on the field. He's not someone you can count on yet. Hopefully getting put onto IR, when he wasn't going to miss more than a game or two, sent a message.

Forget the draft stats, which don't have much meaning. So what if the guy can run a fast 40 on track without pads? That stat is so overinflated it's ridiculous. Show me a player that can get it done on the field! If he can outrun the guys chasing him, then he's fast enough. You won't know that by their 40 time, it will become obvious on the field!

GO PACK GO!!!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was making yards when nobody was doing anything in the run game. I don't know if he could have done what Grant did in the second half when they got their act together but one has to figure he would have caused some damage.
He reminds me of the guy (name escapes me at the moment) playing for the Steelers now. Always looked like he could play but could never stay on the field for more than about two games in a row without getting hurt and that was as a backup.
I think he finally stayed healthy last year and had a pretty good season.
"Availability" is a word McCarthy uses all the time and I have to believe that if Wynn starts showing signs he can't hold up physically he will probably be somewhere else when the season opens.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was making yards when nobody was doing anything in the run game.

He was Ryan Grant before Ryan Grant was. I remember the Chicago game, and he was busting off big runs like nobody's business(then we lost).

I think if he can stay healthy, he is a GREAT #2 change of pace fat guy RB.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was making yards when nobody was doing anything in the run game. I don't know if he could have done what Grant did in the second half when they got their act together but one has to figure he would have caused some damage.
He reminds me of the guy (name escapes me at the moment) playing for the Steelers now. Always looked like he could play but could never stay on the field for more than about two games in a row without getting hurt and that was as a backup.
"Availability" is a word McCarthy uses all the time and I have to believe that if Wynn starts showing signs he can't hold up physically he will probably be somewhere else when the season opens.

You're referring to Davenpoop... oh, I mean Davenport.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

You're referring to Davenpoop... oh, I mean Davenport.

Heh.
I happened to like Davenport. He had cool hair, and was good for a few games up until he got his yearly injury. but man, he really hit LBs hard. Made opposing LBs wish he'd run the other way.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport was a beast, but big RB's cant hold up in the NFL, they just cant. That weight kills their knees very fast and most are injury prone. I just hope Wynn provides some help for Ryan Grant because you cant put all the carries on one guy.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn probably has as much skill as anyone the Packers have right now. McCarthy and Thompson sent him a hell of a message last year when they put him on injured reserve. They in essence told him he has to get in shape, stay in shape and that he had to play with minor injuries and stay on the field.

I recall a play last year where he was down on the field and the trainers came out and I was thinking he really had gotten hurt. He was back in playing in two plays. The team had to call a timeout, and he's not hurt. I think that play got under McCarthy's skin.

If he wants to make this team he had better come out ready to play this year.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn probably has as much skill as anyone the Packers have right now. McCarthy and Thompson sent him a hell of a message last year when they put him on injured reserve. They in essence told him he has to get in shape, stay in shape and that he had to play with minor injuries and stay on the field.

I recall a play last year where he was down on the field and the trainers came out and I was thinking he really had gotten hurt. He was back in playing in two plays. The team had to call a timeout, and he's not hurt. I think that play got under McCarthy's skin.

If he wants to make this team he had better come out ready to play this year.

Wynn actually called the timeout himself!! Imagine that! A rookie 7th rounder pick calling a TO...im pretty sure this is what MM see that he shouldnt be playing again til he sorts himself out :D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Wynn's size and power.
IF he shows the coaching staff that he is taking his pro career seriously, he can be HUGE for the Packers this year.
It's a big if, but he CAN do it. If he WANTS to, that is.
This training camp and preseason is his chance to shine. Or his ticket out of the league.
It's all up to him.
I HOPE he comes to play, and makes it impossible for the Pack to cut him loose.

OP
OP
P

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just kills me when I see players that have so much potential not show it. I loved watching Michael Vick, he probably had the most potential if he didn't screw his life up. I was hoping that Favre's influence and the high character on our team got this guy to show who he really is. We just have to wait till' next year and find out. But I think this guy's future lies in training camp. Honestly I think Wynn is the best RB on our team but Grant does much better because he is humble and tries very hard.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that Wynn was upset about being put on IR. It showed to me that he DOES care. Now it's in his hands to prove himself to the coaches.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just kills me when I see players that have so much potential not show it. I loved watching Michael Vick, he probably had the most potential if he didn't screw his life up. I was hoping that Favre's influence and the high character on our team got this guy to show who he really is. We just have to wait till' next year and find out. But I think this guy's future lies in training camp. Honestly I think Wynn is the best RB on our team but Grant does much better because he is humble and tries very hard.

Well, I won't go as far as saying Wynn is better than Grant (in pure talent), but Wynn is definitely good enough to start on some teams. I see a lot of potential in that kid.

mckennj3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the last update anyone has heard of him weight wise or how inshape he is? I read on rotoworld today that it looks like Jackson will be the clear cut 2nd string back so coaches can't be to excited about Wynn, or it could be another message to him. Hard to believe someone with his potential and in his position can let it slide so fast.

Members online