Depth Chart is up!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this depth chart they do not show the offense with a third WR. If the did it would not probably show Jones on the first team yet. They will put Fergy and the others there first and make Jones earn his way.

Jones could very well be the first 3rd receiver on the field when the season starts. Fergy will have had at least ten plays under his belt and hit injured reserve by then.

My guess though is Martin or Holliday will emerge early having more experience and Jones will work his way in over time.

Right now the depth chart is more of a motivational tool than an accurate read of where they actually stand. Lee is the frontrunner in an effort to get Bubba off his butt and if that works Bubba could be a key to a couple more wins we need this year.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excited to see Powdrell already the 2nd string FB. I think he could really be a nice pickup. Not sure why Rouse is a backup FS - his game is tailored for the SS.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let's not get to caught up in where people are on a depth chart that is out before 1 session of practice has started.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be pretty explosive if we can get some good coverage, but he has been injury prone in his NFL career.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's my concern. he has been injury prone, and he's getting old. to be fair, so RP doesn't get too ruffled, i wouldn't want al harris returning punts either.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this depth chart they do not show the offense with a third WR. If the did it would not probably show Jones on the first team yet. They will put Fergy and the others there first and make Jones earn his way.

Jones could very well be the first 3rd receiver on the field when the season starts. Fergy will have had at least ten plays under his belt and hit injured reserve by then.

My guess though is Martin or Holliday will emerge early having more experience and Jones will work his way in over time.

Right now the depth chart is more of a motivational tool than an accurate read of where they actually stand. Lee is the frontrunner in an effort to get Bubba off his butt and if that works Bubba could be a key to a couple more wins we need this year.

I can see your logic in the motivational tool explanation, but Harrell is already a starter??

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a position that usually goes unnoticed unless they make a mistake but Rob Davis is only listed for the long snapper jobs -- not even as a backup as center.

He is 38. His backup Clark Harris is a rookie TE. It would seem to me that Davis could be in a precarious situation as the player behind him has more of a long term upside AND, since he plays 2 positions, could allow us to keep another skilled player on the roster.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's my concern. he has been injury prone, and he's getting old. to be fair, so RP doesn't get too ruffled, i wouldn't want al harris returning punts either.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
Glad to see chuckwood will be returning punts again.

Actually, as much as I like Woodson, I'd rather see someone else returning punts. I'd rather see Woodson returning interceptions for TDs.

The other problem is I don't want to see Morency returning KOs. Didn't we draft a fast WR just for that purpose? Our STs sucked last year. I want someone who will get us some field position.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO I dont think any high profile player should be returning kicks unless he is VERY GOOD at it! Example if Hester from the Bears was a great position player, as well as a great return man I would want him to return the kicks as well. Woodson isnt that great at returning them. He is getting old...Lets not forget what happened to Murphy a couple years ago returning a kick...Ended his young career. He could have turned out to be a good reciever!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a position that usually goes unnoticed unless they make a mistake but Rob Davis is only listed for the long snapper jobs -- not even as a backup as center.

He is 38. His backup Clark Harris is a rookie TE. It would seem to me that Davis could be in a precarious situation as the player behind him has more of a long term upside AND, since he plays 2 positions, could allow us to keep another skilled player on the roster.

I remember reading that Clark Harris tried some long snaps during the first minicamp, and he did not do well at it. So I doubt that Rob Davis's job is in jeopardy. Although Davis takes up a roster spot just for a specialty service, the Packers do not want to mess with success. I think they are right to keep him as long as he continues to be consistent with the snaps.

I agree with Zombie that Morency returning kicks is not a good thing. We need somebody more dynamic back there. How many years has it been now that we've been hoping for somebody to step up to the plate and do a good job returning kicks, and it never happens? We haven't had an above average return man since Allen Rossum left, which I think was after the 2001 season.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I remember reading that Clark Harris tried some long snaps during the first minicamp, and he did not do well at it. So I doubt that Rob Davis's job is in jeopardy. Although Davis takes up a roster spot just for a specialty service, the Packers do not want to mess with success. I think they are right to keep him as long as he continues to be consistent with the snaps.

I agree with Zombie that Morency returning kicks is not a good thing. We need somebody more dynamic back there. How many years has it been now that we've been hoping for somebody to step up to the plate and do a good job returning kicks, and it never happens? We haven't had an above average return man since Allen Rossum left, which I think was after the 2001 season.

How many years has it been since we've had a TD on a PR or KR? I don't even remember.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know who was a monster at returning kicks....Najeh Davenport....he always killed the first guy who tried to tackle him....entertaining as ****.

let korey hall return kicks.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Davenport was great for a year or two there, but then the injuries started to catch up with him.

I thought Woodson may have returned a punt for a TD last year, but I'm not sure. Return TD's have been few and far between, that's for sure.

Woodson_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Antonio Chatman returned a punt against the Bears for us in our 4-12 year (that still doesn't sound right, 4-12).

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. That Chatman TD was big. I was going hella crazy when that happened because it hasn't happened in GB for YEARS.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson_fan said:
Antonio Chatman returned a punt against the Bears for us in our 4-12 year (that still doesn't sound right, 4-12).

Ah yes. I try to forget that 4-12 year. The Saints game and Samkon Gado were about the only things worth remembering about that year. But then, even Gado got hurt.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know who was a monster at returning kicks....Najeh Davenport....he always killed the first guy who tried to tackle him....entertaining as ****.

Ha ha. Yeah, that was fun to watch. He never broke the big one, but he sure did make some opposing special teamers wish they had stayed in bed that morning.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Well, if Goodell will open the gate for KRob, we'll have just the guy. Keepin 'em crossed! :cross:

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Great suggestion!, K-Hall is gonna kick *** on ST this year no matter where he lines up.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:

I can see your logic in the motivational tool explanation, but Harrell is already a starter??

Like I say it's used for mind games at this point. Maybe having Harrell here early and then putting him down later to make him work to get it back? In the mean time get Cory to work his butt off to jump over Harrell. There's many ways to use a depth chart.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about Herron returning kicks? He is most likely going to be our third string back. He has got some speed...But he isnt a "key" player to the packers roster.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts