DeMarcus Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ware was always going to Denver. Adam Schefter was on the radio this morning and said that when one AFC West team (not Denver) called Ware's agent to ask about him, the agent told the team "you're not going to like where he's going".

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any extra effort required. Players normally sign with the team that offers the most money.

I disagree.

Imagine being a twenty-something millionaire: I hope you can see the appeal of a large, warm weather city v. a small, cold weather town.

Now consider the fact that many warm-weather football cities in the south (e.g., Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Jacksonville, Houston, Dallas, etc.) boast much friendlier income tax rates. If I were an agent, I would make sure my clients understood that $20 million in Houston means a LOT more take-home money than $20 million in Green Bay. (In the NBA, the Toronto Raptors have to deal with even higher income tax rates in Canada and it's a negative when the franchise tries to attract FAs.)

As an added bonus, there may be no need for a second home in a warm weather city during the off-season. Since, if I play for Green Bay, it's pretty much a given that I'm not living there during the off-season if I have the income to enjoy a more pleasant climate elsewhere.

This isn't to say that the Packers can't find FAs that want to suit up for thirteen-time world champions. I'm just being a realist about the factors that might discourage FAs from signing with a team like Green Bay. Personally, I love Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ware was always going to Denver. Adam Schefter was on the radio this morning and said that when one AFC West team (not Denver) called Ware's agent to ask about him, the agent told the team "you're not going to like where he's going".

Heard this too and as soon as I did I knew any chance of him coming here, as slim as it was, was dead.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...Also, not to be obnoxious but the actual contract Ware received is $30 million over three years, $20 million guaranteed. It's unlikely Ware would agree to a one year deal and I wouldn't be excited about signing him to a multiyear deal. So the "We have cap space- what the ****?" approach is probably mistaken. Again, that money is better spent carried over to next year.

Denver spent quite a bit on a 32-year old vet that has been often injured over the past two seasons. If he were a better value, I would have loved to add Ware.
I agree...only would have made sense on a one or two year deal imo.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there's any extra effort required. Players normally sign with the team that offers the most money.

I hope that's the case, but I'm not so sure. We've seen otherwise in other sports, particularly in basketball. Players will take less money to play in more desirable markets. Now football presents a shorter playing window, so maybe that's a non-issue. I guess it would only impact FA really though, and as we're never a big player there, it wouldn't impact us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts