DeMarcus Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know. What are we carrying it over for at this point with AR under contract, CM3 locked up.I know Nelson and Cobb will have to be done at some point, but we're taking $30 mil with possibly another $10 mil added to the cap next year. If this money isn't going to be utilized in free agency then what is it being saved for. Are there other big money guys coming up I can't think of? Will AR be a top notch QB for another two years, four years, eight years?

Not being a jerk...I'm really curious for people's input on this. I'm sure Ted has a plan...Just not sure I see what it is.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know. What are we carrying it over for at this point with AR under contract, CM3 locked up.I know Nelson and Cobb will have to be done at some point, but we're taking $30 mil with possibly another $10 mil added to the cap next year. If this money isn't going to be utilized in free agency then what is it being saved for. Are there other big money guys coming up I can't think of? Will AR be a top notch QB for another two years, four years, eight years?

Not being a jerk...I'm really curious for people's input on this. I'm sure Ted has a plan...Just not sure I see what it is.

I don't know what it is either, but I do know a certain percentage of the cap has to be spent over a few years, (Anybody know the specific percent and number of seasons?) so TT will have to use some of the cap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is either, but I do know a certain percentage of the cap has to be spent over a few years, (Anybody know the specific percent and number of seasons?) so TT will have to use some of the cap.
http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Is there a Minimum Salary?

Answer: Yep. Under the new CBA, The cap (max) for 2014 is $133M per team. Each team must average $126.35 M. That is a league-wide average not an individual team minimum.

League-wide, teams were required to spend 99% of the cap in 2011 and 2012. In 2013 and beyond, they must spend 95% of the cap. In the event that player costs are less than this overall league minimum, then, on or before April 15 of the next League Year, the NFL must pay an amount equal to such deficiency directly to the players.

In terms of minimum salary for each team, the salary floor is 89% of the cap. That became effective in 2013

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have got to be Ted Thompson in disguise.:)

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dislike making comparisons....but could DWare, assuming he comes in healthy and stays healthy, have a SIMILAR kind of impact that Reggie White had for us? Ware is a premier pass rusher when hes healthy. One of THE best. Man, imagine him and Matthews lining up in our 3-4 together.

Ware will be entering his 10th season coming up. Hes not what I call an old grizzled veteran just yet. To me, hes just a veteran player in his prime that had a rough season last year because of nagging injuries.

If we could get him for a good deal, i'd sign Ware up in a heartbeat.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a player this makes more sense than soooo many of the other FAs being discussed (Peppers, Allen). Ware has played the position well in a 3-4 pretty recently. Thing is, he'll be able to get more with some other team than he's worth to us. No way we get him for what would be convenient for us (that is, leaving us with enough for Nelson and Cobb and maybe Bulaga).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Apparently Jared Allen has the Packers on his short list of teams he would play for, so I think TT should sign him, ware, and byrd, and go broke...

Jared Allen and Aaron Rodgers are good friends and golfing buddies. I wouldn't mind seeing him come here for a year or two, cause that is all he has left. The cash would have to be VERY reasonable. Then again, I doubt that he would be willing to change his position......doubt he has ever even toyed with the idea. Plus, I thought that our players went there, not the other way around lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Teams have to spend 89% in cash of the total amount of the cap over a four year span (2013-2016). That won´t be a problem for the Packers though as they spend close to $160 million last season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Ware does sign with Denver, which I fully expect to happen sometime today, that would most likely make Shaun Phillips available. He will be 33 in May and took a 1 yr "prove it" deal in denver last year and it paid off. Recorded 10 sacks and 2 FF. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

If Ware does sign with Denver, which I fully expect to happen sometime today, that would most likely make Shaun Phillips available. He will be 33 in May and took a 1 yr "prove it" deal in denver last year and it paid off. Recorded 10 sacks and 2 FF. Thoughts?

He would have to move back to OLB in a 3-4, not sure that would be a great idea as he had a really bad season in 2012 when he last played there for the Chargers.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would have to move back to OLB in a 3-4, not sure that would be a great idea as he had a really bad season in 2012 when he last played there for the Chargers.

I don't know if I'd say 9.5 sacks can be considered a really bad season. I don't think at this time he could be an every down player but as a situational pass rusher?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if I'd say 9.5 sacks can be considered a really bad season. I don't think at this time he could be an every down player but as a situational pass rusher?

The sack number doesn´t tell the entire story there. PFF ranked him the second worst 3-4 OLB that year, only ahead of Erik Walden.

D

Deleted member 6794

oh, my bad .... i was confused then i guess.... though you were speaking of our dismal 2013

Actually it doesn´t matter as I agree that we could use another pass rusher opposite Matthews. Don´t think Philipps is the solution though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schefter reporting that Ware is a Bronco pending physical. 3 yrs 30M 20 guaranteed.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just so darn frustrating, so disappointing.

DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Jarius Byrd, please just sign somebody (anybody) to bulk up the defense and draft a few fresh young weapons for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers would be unstoppable.

As a long-time, die-hard, bred-in-the-bone Green Bay Packer fan I certainly do hope that Ted Thompson is not an enfeebled old man who has lost his grasp of the game and is squandering what might well be the prime career years of Aaron Rodgers. Where are we going to get another one like him?

I don't have 25 years left to wait between Superbowls; heck I might not even have 10.

C'mon Ted, just give us old farts one more SuperBowl.

For all the support we've given this team over the past 50 years.

Shockwave

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alabama boy who played his entire career in fair weather. Something tells me Ted tried to make a move, but there's only so much you can do when you're GB.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alabama boy who played his entire career in fair weather. Something tells me Ted tried to make a move, but there's only so much you can do when you're GB.

I do wonder what sort of extra effort is required on the Packers' part to sell playing in a cold, small market town.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will see grumbling because for$6-8 mill on a one or two year deal, with$30 mill in cap space...why not?

But yea it's not going to happen.

...Also, not to be obnoxious but the actual contract Ware received is $30 million over three years, $20 million guaranteed. It's unlikely Ware would agree to a one year deal and I wouldn't be excited about signing him to a multiyear deal. So the "We have cap space- what the ****?" approach is probably mistaken. Again, that money is better spent carried over to next year.

Denver spent quite a bit on a 32-year old vet that has been often injured over the past two seasons. If he were a better value, I would have loved to add Ware.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do wonder what sort of extra effort is required on the Packers' part to sell playing in a cold, small market town.

I don't think there's any extra effort required. Players normally sign with the team that offers the most money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts