Defensive Line is on "Life Support"

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I know man, lol...wasnt insulted....just thought you were saying I was being optimistic. and yes, your "old" comment is funny.....wait....I'm getting old too....damnit

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
LOL....speak for yourself !!! I'm turning 38 this coming fall, and I am in good shape imo. I am 6'4" tall, 230Lbs, run the mile in 7 min and 20 sec., and can bench 300lbs, I can do 20 pull ups. I do this to teach my son that if I am in decent shape for a middle aged guy, he should be in better shape for a kid.
I can push my mouse 300 times.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes you wonder if McGinn was right (see OPs original post)

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/packers_and_nfl/big-grease-pickett-not-quite-as-big
Ryan Pickett’s nickname is “Big Grease,” but he may have to change it to “Medium Grease” after getting in better shape in the offseason.
Usually, the Green Bay Packer defensive lineman treats the end of the season like school is out, but this offseason he decided to eat a little more healthily.
“It’s good eating,” said Pickett. “Normally in the offseason, when the season is over, I’m like, 'Yes! I’m gonna go get some burgers, do this and that.' This year, I took a different approach. I just want to be healthy, not just for this year, but the rest of my life. I’ve got a lot of folks I need to be around for.”
Pickett was encouraged by his wife, who encouraged him to pay more attention to what he ate in the offseason. As a result, Pickett says he came back to the Packers almost 10 pounds under his listed weight of 338 and almost 20 under his true playing weight.
It helps the offseason program includes more conditioning drills than normal, as coach Mike McCarthy wants his team to be better equipped to play the athletic quarterbacks they will see early in their season, with the 49ers and the Redskins their first two games.
There's more stuff in the article but this speaks to conditioning. It's tough to know who is correct about the status of our big men, but then again, it's not hard for these guys to drop 5 or 10 pounds in a few weeks time. Now eating healthier would certainly be a great thing for any of those guys - not just for their long term health but even their conditioning during the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to know that Pick and Raji got those buckets of fried chicken that I had sent to their homes!

Honestly, you read that those guys came in overweight and then insinuate that they are done for the season and the D-line on life support? Are you c-c-crazy? Neal, Wilson, and Daniels will likely still be backing up Pickett and Raji, not the starters that your fear mongering suggests. Are you just Rodell with a different username?

Yes we all want improvement in the D-line but the sky is not falling.

Really?? really?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn's credibility has dropped to near null for me. First he says the Packers are only going to take players with no injury history, then after the Pack takes Lacy he writes the Packers were 'forced' to do it because of value. Then he says the Packers are going to make complete effort to get bigger and yet, the players they drafted are the same or smaller than similar positions drafted last year. His recent article about the draft he answers questions. One he says that almost all the Packers moves have been about getting bigger. Two questions later he talks about our OL picks in the 4th round and says he needs to get bigger and stronger to play for the Packers.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn's credibility has dropped to near null for me. First he says the Packers are only going to take players with no injury history, then after the Pack takes Lacy he writes the Packers were 'forced' to do it because of value. Then he says the Packers are going to make complete effort to get bigger and yet, the players they drafted are the same or smaller than similar positions drafted last year. His recent article about the draft he answers questions. One he says that almost all the Packers moves have been about getting bigger. Two questions later he talks about our OL picks in the 4th round and says he needs to get bigger and stronger to play for the Packers.

Didn't he just have the best top-100 players out of any NFL writer - including such luminaries as Kiper and McShay - for a third-year in a row? McGinn is still good at his job in my book.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't he just have the best top-100 players out of any NFL writer - including such luminaries as Kiper and McShay - for a third-year in a row? McGinn is still good at his job in my book.
Knowing the Packers and knowing the draft are two very separate things. Yes, he is very good at evaluating players or maybe he has a pretty good network of scouts and GMs feeding him info. I am pretty sure, however, none of his insiders are working for the Packers. His discussion of the Packers appears to me to be only speculative on his own part. Therefore, regarding the Packers (I probably should have been more clear), his credibility is low.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the Vikings matching up better this year against the Pack. This rookie Patterson looks fast and capable. I think teams will stack the box for A.P., and then have multiple eyes on Greg Jennings, alongside another weapon in Kyle Rudolph, and the rookie might see some good opportunities. The Vikes gonna score points this year! Of course, the Pack still has the best QB in football, so there might be some high scoring games.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, McGinn did win the draft contest again which IMO confirms the value of his contacts around the league. But he also screws up and I saw the same things AmishMafia did in that regard. But even as I recognize his mistakes, McGinn's credibility is way up there for me. I remember newspaper reporting on the Packers before he arrived and the difference IMO is night and day. He was a major force in increasing objectivity and attention to detail (like the play of the OL) to reporting on the Packers. AmishMafia in another thread you mention how Packers fans should look around the league as they judge Thompson's drafts, I'd suggest the same for you regarding beat writers. I used to travel a lot so I was more on top of it, but it's still my impression we are blessed with the coverage we have available on "our" team. And McGinn is at the head of that line IMO.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the Vikings matching up better this year against the Pack. This rookie Patterson looks fast and capable. I think teams will stack the box for A.P., and then have multiple eyes on Greg Jennings, alongside another weapon in Kyle Rudolph, and the rookie might see some good opportunities. The Vikes gonna score points this year! Of course, the Pack still has the best QB in football, so there might be some high scoring games.

Unless Patterson has an uncanny ability to stop his route and dive back/left/right/up to catch an errant throw from Mr. Christian Steele, I'm still not too worried.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Patterson has an uncanny ability to stop his route and dive back/left/right/up to catch an errant throw from Mr. Christian Steele, I'm still not too worried.

A lot of Packer fans underestimating the Queens. I hate them as much as the Bears but thy did beat us last year with Ponder..he's got more and better weapons now. I'm worried and i'm not afraid to say it. Winning the north isn't going to be a cakewalk as previous years. Lions, Bears, and Vikings will be alot better.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packer fans underestimating the Queens. I hate them as much as the Bears but thy did beat us last year with Ponder..he's got more and better weapons now. I'm worried and i'm not afraid to say it. Winning the north isn't going to be a cakewalk as previous years. Lions, Bears, and Vikings will be alot better.

No cakewalk is good! It's the black and blue division again, just like when I was growing up. Every team should be pretty good, and that just makes all of the NFC North teams more competitive. I'm a Vikings fan first, but an NFC North fan at heart. I'm a little different that way. I just have never learned to hate the Packers, Bears or Lions. I want the Vikes to beat them, but no way can I hate those teams like I hate the Cowboys fans. Of course, I live now in New Mexico where all you hear about is Dallas or Denver.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this the most random thread for a vikings fan to jump in on and not say anything about the thread itself??

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, McGinn did win the draft contest again which IMO confirms the value of his contacts around the league. But he also screws up and I saw the same things AmishMafia did in that regard. But even as I recognize his mistakes, McGinn's credibility is way up there for me. I remember newspaper reporting on the Packers before he arrived and the difference IMO is night and day. He was a major force in increasing objectivity and attention to detail (like the play of the OL) to reporting on the Packers. AmishMafia in another thread you mention how Packers fans should look around the league as they judge Thompson's drafts, I'd suggest the same for you regarding beat writers. I used to travel a lot so I was more on top of it, but it's still my impression we are blessed with the coverage we have available on "our" team. And McGinn is at the head of that line IMO.
Perhaps I shouldn't be so harsh.

When Favre went to Minny, many of the writers were very pro-favre. I recall McGinn being especially rude to TT with him asking extremely leading questions. My memory isn't great, but they were in the genre of 'When do plan to stop beating your wife?' They were loaded, negative, and generally very disrespectful to Thompson. Personally, I think that TT developed an attitude of screw you. We don't get very much insight or meaningful info from TT. That maybe a matter of TTs personality, or, as I believe its still harsh feelings from how he was treated by the press, especially McGinn. Not sure many will recall this, but TT was more open when he got here. I remember seeing press conferences and thinking, did he really need to hold a press conference to tell us about the new DC? It may have been at the urging of then Packer Management, or maybe TT desired to be more open.

I will agree, Packer writing is good. I have lived in the Charger/Seahawk/Raider markets and it is better. Good lord you should hear how bad Raider coverage is. And they are always extremely positive. CB gets burned "Well, he has amazing speed, don't worry about getting behind that reciever, folks, that is technique and something he will learn. But you can't teach speed." They also had something very common that I never saw in my 20 years of GB media - advertising to buy season tickets.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to be optimistic, but the players on the defensive have me a little excited. Assuming a healthy year, Mike Neal looked very much improved last year. He's strong and provides a solid pass rush. Raji is always a solid player and probably the best run defender on the line. Both players are in contract years and have extra incentive to do well. Pickett is probably in his last year in the league and appears to be in good shape. Datone Jones has to get you excited with his combination of size and speed.

The backups are even a little exciting. Daniels is a good nickle/dime pass rusher. Josh Boyd looks the part of a run stuffing lineman. He could be a late round gem. Unfortunately, Worthy might end up on PUP or IR.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping for Hankins or Williams or some other giant run stuffer (even that small school guy Collins or whatever in the 3rd was sitting right there) in the draft. Remember, when we won the super bowl we had the prototypical 3-4 pass rushing dlineman Howard Green taking up a great many snaps. Sure Jones will be great on passing downs and may free up guys for CM3 and maybe Perry, but that doesn't work if it's 2nd and 3 because we get the ball ran down our throats.

That said, it's not even clear if Pickett and Raji came in fat and even if they did, it's not clear that it matters this far out. Honestly it seems like there are tons of guys on this board who just want to want to **** and moan and ***** and complain about anything and everything they can. I expect we'll see the best Raji we've seen in a while since he knows he's playing for real money this year. I wish Pickett was going to be training his successor, but it looks like the best we can hope for is that he has another good year and maybe comes back next year on the cheap.

I'm not sure what to think of Worthy. He really disappointed me this year after impressing the hell out of me against the Badgers his last year at MSU. Seemed like a one trick pony with a fast first step and a knack for guessing the snap count nothing else. Second year is supposed to be huge for those types, but we don't know if he'll even put on a helmet.

I hope Jones doesn't become another Neal; a great athlete and inside rusher who never gets to do his thing because he can't stop the run. I also really hope Jolly can get back to old form. 3-4 run stuffers can be effective against the pass if they can get their hands way up there and knock some balls down, and Jolly was always really good at that.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You just can't help yourself but to overreact to the offseason moves!

The Packers are a combined 15-1 against the NFC North the past two seasons!!!! So, yeah, I'm not too worried still.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't even realize - you said the Vikes got more and better weapons now. HA! They LOST Percy Harvin! He's the most electrifying and versatile player in the game. Jennings is a savvy veteran, but he's no Percy. And until Patterson proves anything - especially when everyone says he can't run routes - I'm not annointing him as a weapon yet. I'm sure you also thought the Pats got the better end of the draft day trade with the Packers when they took Chad Jackson (the first WR off the board) and the Pack took Greg Jennings (out of a small school) at the end of the second round. High draft selections - particularly at WR it seems - means nothing - just ask the Lions how Charles Rodgers and Mike Williams are treating them or the Vikings regarding Troy Williamson.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just can't help yourself but to overreact to the offseason moves!

The Packers are a combined 15-1 against the NFC North the past two seasons!!!! So, yeah, I'm not too worried still.

Yup, just like you can't help yourself being all in my kool-aid right? The Vikings improved their roster rather you want to admit it or not. You don't have to be worried, i'm sure Queens fans don't care.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even realize - you said the Vikes got more and better weapons now. HA! They LOST Percy Harvin! He's the most electrifying and versatile player in the game. Jennings is a savvy veteran, but he's no Percy. And until Patterson proves anything - especially when everyone says he can't run routes - I'm not annointing him as a weapon yet. I'm sure you also thought the Pats got the better end of the draft day trade with the Packers when they took Chad Jackson (the first WR off the board) and the Pack took Greg Jennings (out of a small school) at the end of the second round. High draft selections - particularly at WR it seems - means nothing - just ask the Lions how Charles Rodgers and Mike Williams are treating them or the Vikings regarding Troy Williamson.

Or they could ask us how Ahmad Carrol, Javon Walker, or Justin Harrell are doing right? I even made it easy for you and listed a wr, cb, and dt which is what they Vikings did in the first round this year. I never compared anyone to Percy Harvin so that argument is null. Take off the Packer shades for a minute dude seriously haha.

Members online

Latest posts