Defense was simply terrific

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Things I really liked:

a) the play of our rookies. Worthy, Heyward, McMillan, Daniels. I didn't see much of anything from Perry, but apparently he was able to get pressure.

b) Tramon Williams. Yes, we have an all-pro corner again.

c) Woodson at safety seemed like he didn't miss a beat.

d) Raji showed up.

e) AJ Hawk. YES, finally! I thought Hawk was very active this game, made some good tackles and lived up to our expectations for once.

Not a hawk lover, but you cannot say he didn't show up against the 49ers, he had a league high 14 TACKLES. That has to be at least worth some praise....right???
Plus he provides some "fire" and "attitude" that we need.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Clay didn't get his teammates fired up. They were all week. Media were talking about them as a poor defense like last year.You really believe he's that kind of leader this early in his career? I'd put the motivation on Wood. He's the old guard and the leader.
2. Go ahead, hate on Sam, give the credit to the rush. Foolish. The scheme, the holding him out of playing time from the coaches all helped Sam. I said it two years ago... Joe Whitt liked him then and I knew he was going to be good. He's a young player on the rise. The Packers have a world class coaching staff. He was always a great athlete, the coaches in Green Bay will make him a star. But you're welcome to think he's good because of a pass rush that was ranked poorly, had miraculously improved, rather than to acknowledge he's gotten better this year. Yea, I see the clarity there. Nice to see he's passed your grade.
3. So is Perry. Cudos to both. They played a great game. Offenses will have trouble game planning for them both.
3b. You have two (3s) so I"m giving you the (b). Yep, Wood lead 'em. Refer to #1. Wood fired up Clay.
4. They always do, it doesn't always work though, offenses are as crafty as defenses.
5. Did he fumble today Shawnsta in fact, would it be fair to say he doesn't have a history of fumbling? What exactly are you referring to here?
6. Who doesn't like an underdog? I love the guy because he's a throwback.
1- I meant that Clay was getting his teammates fired up with his performance. No doubt Woodson is the leader of this defense. But when a guy is just repeatedly getting after the quarterback, play after play and pushing the offense back 5,10 yards, it's gotta fire your teammates up. But I wouldn't underestimate Clay as a leader in that locker room either.

2- I think you misunderstood what I meant. Since this season has started I've been the biggest Shields supporter. I was never in favor of putting Bush in as starter over him. He is really fast, has good ball skills and I thought if he would just improve his quarterback vision and take less risky chances and inprove his instincts he would be a Pro Bowler. I wasn't in favor of taking his playing time away from him earlier this year, but admittedly it seems to have worked for the long term minus week one. He's on his way. I wasn't giving the "credit" to the pass rush but when you can get after the quarterback and hurry him, force a bad throw and sack him to put the offense in a tough 3rd and long situation, it makes the whole defense look better as a whole.

3- sorry about the repeat number.

5- Cobb is a versatile big play threat. That being said, he's muffed a few punts/kicks and fumbled a few also. He also has had shaky ball handling skills on offense. This sounds really critical but I don't mean it too. He's looked improved this year.
Here's a news article from halfway through last year about Cobb: http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/133864873.html

I didnt mean to sound critical on any of these guys. Sorry it came out that way.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
1- I meant that Clay was getting his teammates fired up with his performance. No doubt Woodson is the leader of this defense. But when a guy is just repeatedly getting after the quarterback, play after play and pushing the offense back 5,10 yards, it's gotta fire your teammates up. But I wouldn't underestimate Clay as a leader in that locker room either.

2- I think you misunderstood what I meant. Since this season has started I've been the biggest Shields supporter. I was never in favor of putting Bush in as starter over him. He is really fast, has good ball skills and I thought if he would just improve his quarterback vision and take less risky chances and inprove his instincts he would be a Pro Bowler. I wasn't in favor of taking his playing time away from him earlier this year, but admittedly it seems to have worked for the long term minus week one. He's on his way. I wasn't giving the "credit" to the pass rush but when you can get after the quarterback and hurry him, force a bad throw and sack him to put the offense in a tough 3rd and long situation, it makes the whole defense look better as a whole.

3- sorry about the repeat number.

5- Cobb is a versatile big play threat. That being said, he's muffed a few punts/kicks and fumbled a few also. He also has had shaky ball handling skills on offense. This sounds really critical but I don't mean it too. He's looked improved this year.
Here's a news article from halfway through last year about Cobb: http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/133864873.html

I didnt mean to sound critical on any of these guys. Sorry it came out that way.
Yep Shawnsta, I misread it. Kinda sounded like you were "giving them a pass" this week. There's nothing wrong with this defense that time won't cure. Dom has new toys, Dom will Dominate.
1. I think Clay is becoming a leader, yes, he's incredible but I don't feel his leadership. I know that sounds crazy but we've all heard these guys in pressers and interviews and I don't think leadership is Clay's strong point. He's a leader by example and that works. I underestimate him a bit because he's a bit showy. The best leaders make the others around them better and I don't know how he does that. He'll get better with wisdom and age though.
2. I get that. I'm a huge Sammie fan. I think he's done superb with his little time at CB. He had the advantage over Jefferies. He's in his 4th year as a CB? He's facing WRs who have played that position all of their lives. I have no idea what you are referring to as "quarterback vision" and taking risky chances and improve his instincts?
I only have one question. Have you ever played the game? Because taking risky chances is something the Packers are coached to do. No player was ever given an assignment "undercut the throw" as his call.
Instincts means forethought. It means you think you know what's going to happen because you've seen it, experienced it or otherwise have familiarity with it. Asking Sam Shields to be instinctive as a CB is like asking you to be able to fly in tight formation with a jet fighter.
As for QB vision, I think you're referring to how a QB sees the field and how you disguise your assignment. For goodness sake.... are we going to go into this for a CB? Safety yes, LB yes but a CB?
I think you'd be hard pressed to sell any QB on anything other than zone or man right?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I get that. I'm a huge Sammie fan. I think he's done superb with his little time at CB. He had the advantage over Jefferies. He's in his 4th year as a CB? He's facing WRs who have played that position all of their lives. I have no idea what you are referring to as "quarterback vision" and taking risky chances and improve his instincts?
I only have one question. Have you ever played the game? Because taking risky chances is something the Packers are coached to do. No player was ever given an assignment "undercut the throw" as his call.
Instincts means forethought. It means you think you know what's going to happen because you've seen it, experienced it or otherwise have familiarity with it. Asking Sam Shields to be instinctive as a CB is like asking you to be able to fly in tight formation with a jet fighter.
You underestimate Sam. He is a former WR and we picked him up because he has those instincts. He's in their heads. It's what he would have done. It's how CB used to beat him.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep Shawnsta, I misread it. Kinda sounded like you were "giving them a pass" this week. There's nothing wrong with this defense that time won't cure. Dom has new toys, Dom will Dominate.
1. I think Clay is becoming a leader, yes, he's incredible but I don't feel his leadership. I know that sounds crazy but we've all heard these guys in pressers and interviews and I don't think leadership is Clay's strong point. He's a leader by example and that works. I underestimate him a bit because he's a bit showy. The best leaders make the others around them better and I don't know how he does that. He'll get better with wisdom and age though.
2. I get that. I'm a huge Sammie fan. I think he's done superb with his little time at CB. He had the advantage over Jefferies. He's in his 4th year as a CB? He's facing WRs who have played that position all of their lives. I have no idea what you are referring to as "quarterback vision" and taking risky chances and improve his instincts?
As for QB vision, I think you're referring to how a QB sees the field and how you disguise your assignment. For goodness sake.... are we going to go into this for a CB? Safety yes, LB yes but a CB?
I think you'd be hard pressed to sell any QB on anything other than zone or man right?
By quarterback vision I mean reading the quarterbacks eyes, watching where he might go and basically being aware of what the quarterback is doing more often an then reacting to that. He hasn't always been instinctive about this in the past. He use to cut a lot of routes early and get burnt and have to rely on his speed to catch up. Not all of these will show up in the stat sheet either as he did catch up with his speed, or the quarterback didn't see the open receiver either way that's what I meant by risk. I guess not that all risks are bad but taking unnecessary risk and improving his instincts once again. Which he has.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all this talk about Shields stepping up and Heyward looking good it got me thinking about House. Does anyone know his situation? He was the second CB by all accounts during preseason so I would love to see him come back and challenge for the starting spot and more importantly push Bush down the depth chart more.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hopefully he'll push for some diime time and maybe some nickel look. I think the harness will be too much of a factor for him to start, but he should earn that 3 spot.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
By quarterback vision I mean reading the quarterbacks eyes, watching where he might go and basically being aware of what the quarterback is doing more often an then reacting to that. He hasn't always been instinctive about this in the past. He use to cut a lot of routes early and get burnt and have to rely on his speed to catch up. Not all of these will show up in the stat sheet either as he did catch up with his speed, or the quarterback didn't see the open receiver either way that's what I meant by risk. I guess not that all risks are bad but taking unnecessary risk and improving his instincts once again. Which he has.
Hypon suggested it and I had forgot about that. He was a WR so that certainly helps. I guess what I'm saying is that I think that was the focus of alot of his off season work by the coaching staff.
As for your suggestion that he cut alot of routes, I'm not sure if that isn't partly by design. The Packers do that alot. They are a gambling D but they do come up with INTs don't they?
As for the vision part, he can't do that unless he's in zone. In man he's on his guy. Either way, I think we agree he looks like he's going to be okay.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hypon suggested it and I had forgot about that. He was a WR so that certainly helps. I guess what I'm saying is that I think that was the focus of alot of his off season work by the coaching staff.
I'd say tackling was the main focus of this past offseason. Maybe in the past offseasons they spent some time on it, but he looked pretty natural in XLV.
As for your suggestion that he cut alot of routes, I'm not sure if that isn't partly by design. The Packers do that alot. They are a gambling D but they do come up with INTs don't they?
Yeah, the cut is by design, but you have to have the "safety net" (I am witty) to do it effectively, because if you don't and you spill your milk...
As for the vision part, he can't do that unless he's in zone. In man he's on his guy.
I sucked at man coverage, but even I could tell when the ball was coming just by watching the reciever (well, tight end)
Either way, I think we agree he looks like he's going to be okay.
Agreed

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'd say tackling was the main focus of this past offseason. Maybe in the past offseasons they spent some time on it, but he looked pretty natural in XLV.
Disagree, I think it's alot of it but he is still learning the position. That's like saying you should have a quick grasp of a DT if you played Center. Or be a quick study of TE if you played LB. It happens but it takes time. He isn't the first player to change position for any NFL team but it takes time.
Yeah, the cut is by design, but you have to have the "safety net" (I am witty) to do it effectively, because if you don't and you spill your milk...
Love the pun. Don't get how the net catches milk though. Doesn't a net have holes?
I sucked at man coverage, but even I could tell when the ball was coming just by watching the reciever (well, tight end)
You made my point. Man coverage is different than zone. Shawnsta referred to "QB Vision" as an ability for a CB. It's true of any defender in man coverage. You have to get your clues from the player you're covering, your back is to the LOS, you're not looking at the QB. Of course the Packers and many good passing teams let the defender get ahead and throw back shoulder to the receiver trailing and that is a bad thing for the D if you can do it effectively. Catch-22.
So you are an official member of the "Sam Shields Appreciation Club" Welcome.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Disagree, I think it's alot of it but he is still learning the position. That's like saying you should have a quick grasp of a DT if you played Center. Or be a quick study of TE if you played LB. It happens but it takes time. He isn't the first player to change position for any NFL team but it takes time.
Shields changed over his last year of college, and playing FB/TE gave me a good grasp of how to play LB. No, it is often not automatic, but more of a help than you seem to give it credit for.
Love the pun. Don't get how the net catches milk though. Doesn't a net have holes?
Sorry, "Spilt your milk" is a euphemism very similar to "dropped the ball"
You made my point. Man coverage is different than zone. Shawnsta referred to "QB Vision" as an ability for a CB. It's true of any defender in man coverage. You have to get your clues from the player you're covering, your back is to the LOS, you're not looking at the QB. Of course the Packers and many good passing teams let the defender get ahead and throw back shoulder to the receiver trailing and that is a bad thing for the D if you can do it effectively. Catch-22.
Glad to be of service. That back shoulder throw is more annoying than getting stacked up. QB vision is really more of a LB/S thing.
So you are an official member of the "Sam Shields Appreciation Club" Welcome.
Glad to be a part of this club, but I'll have to skip the next meeting lol

Members online