[DEBATE] Staff

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:
So Thompson has a built in excuse for going 4-12 for 4 seasons. Gimme a break. I'll let the history books keep record. Meanwhile you guys can tell your grandkids about that nasty ole Mike Sherman that killed this team.

You better hope your grandkids don't have the smarts to look up the records or they'll be putting you in a home faster than you can type TT.

Oh and I suppose that Vince Lombardi was successful because of the players Scooter McLean and Lisle Blackburn brought in. In '57 Blackburn was 3-9,. In '58 Ray "Scooter" McLean was 1-10-1. In '59 Lombardi's first year he was 7-5 and in '60 they went to the Championship game. You guys make sure you call the historians that have it wrong. Let them know that the only reason Lombardi was successful was because of the players that Blackburn and McLean brought in.

Sherman is no Lombardi. Most would consider Lombardi the greatest Head Coach EVER. That can make a huge difference in how a team plays.

You can say what you want about history books but you can't dispute the absolute fact that Ron Wolf built the team that Sherman inherited. That is why Bob Harlan made the change at GM because Sherman wasn't qualified to be one and wasn't doing a very good job at being one either. If Sherman was doing this grand job like your trying to give him credit for as a GM then Harlan would of left Sherman in charge.

Sherman as a Head Coach will have a winning record. As a GM he did a poor job in even finding that one player that could put this team over the top.

He failed in free agency. His big pickups where Mark Roman, Hannibal Navies, and Wesley Walls. He picked up Grady Jackson off of waivers I believe in 2003.

His Drafts speak for themselves. It's not the fact that GB doesn't have any of those players no more. It's the fact that only 1/3 are still in the league today. That's just awful.

He made one good trade and that was for Al Harris.

You can bring TT in the equation all you want but if you forget Ted Thompson for the moment and just examine the job Mike Sherman did as GM you'll see the FACTS that he took a team built by Ron Wolf to the playoffs as a Head Coach and he took that team as GM and took it to decline.

Porky here is some sound advice. A little less would go alot further. Your posts are too long, especially when you say the same thing over and over. As a Mod you should realize this.....people stop reading when it's the same thing over and over. I'm only telling you this so people will read your post.

BTW...thanks for not addressing the McLean/Blackburn thing. I scanned your reply and din't see their names.

Wow...just....wow. Now I understand why you don't understand anything we are saying! It's not stubbornness, you just can't read.

You and pyle just post "10-6 and 4-12, 10-6 and 4-12" over and over again, then we give you legitimate reasons why it happened and why it possibly couldn't have been avoided by TT and then you just reply with "10-6 and 4-12, 10-6 and 4-12. You don't even take 20 seconds of your time to read what we typed. And then you wonder why we repeat ourselves?

God, it's like arguing with a brick wall. :wall:

Edited by Porky at the end: Let's try to refrain from name calling

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:
So Thompson has a built in excuse for going 4-12 for 4 seasons. Gimme a break. I'll let the history books keep record. Meanwhile you guys can tell your grandkids about that nasty ole Mike Sherman that killed this team.

You better hope your grandkids don't have the smarts to look up the records or they'll be putting you in a home faster than you can type TT.

Oh and I suppose that Vince Lombardi was successful because of the players Scooter McLean and Lisle Blackburn brought in. In '57 Blackburn was 3-9,. In '58 Ray "Scooter" McLean was 1-10-1. In '59 Lombardi's first year he was 7-5 and in '60 they went to the Championship game. You guys make sure you call the historians that have it wrong. Let them know that the only reason Lombardi was successful was because of the players that Blackburn and McLean brought in.

Sherman is no Lombardi. Most would consider Lombardi the greatest Head Coach EVER. That can make a huge difference in how a team plays.

You can say what you want about history books but you can't dispute the absolute fact that Ron Wolf built the team that Sherman inherited. That is why Bob Harlan made the change at GM because Sherman wasn't qualified to be one and wasn't doing a very good job at being one either. If Sherman was doing this grand job like your trying to give him credit for as a GM then Harlan would of left Sherman in charge.

Sherman as a Head Coach will have a winning record. As a GM he did a poor job in even finding that one player that could put this team over the top.

He failed in free agency. His big pickups where Mark Roman, Hannibal Navies, and Wesley Walls. He picked up Grady Jackson off of waivers I believe in 2003.

His Drafts speak for themselves. It's not the fact that GB doesn't have any of those players no more. It's the fact that only 1/3 are still in the league today. That's just awful.

You can bring TT in the equation all you want but if you forget Ted Thompson for the moment and just examine the job Mike Sherman did as GM you'll see the FACTS that he took a team built by Ron Wolf to the playoffs as a Head Coach and he took that team as GM and took it to decline.

Porky here is some sound advice. A little less would go alot further. Your posts are too long, especially when you say the same thing over and over. As a Mod you should realize this.....people stop reading when it's the same thing over and over. I'm only telling you this so people will read your post.

BTW...thanks for not addressing the McLean/Blackburn thing. I scanned your reply and din't see their names.

Wow...just....wow. Now I understand why you don't understand anything we are saying! It's not stubbornness, you just can't read.

You and pyle just post "10-6 and 4-12, 10-6 and 4-12" over and over again, then we give you legitimate reasons why it happened and why it possibly couldn't have been avoided by TT and then you just reply with "10-6 and 4-12, 10-6 and 4-12. You don't even take 20 seconds of your time to read what we typed. And then you wonder why we repeat ourselves?

Why edit, porky. I'd like to see what the genius called me. And believe me, if I or anybody else that supports Sherman called names it would come to more than an edit. First of all, I never typed what you said I typed. Apparently it is a-haug that can't read. Sherman's record as GM is 12-4,12-4,10-6,10-6. TT's is 4-12 and ????

Make yourself look foolish and keep debating!!!!!

And ripping pyle while he can't respond is typical. You KNOW he was banned for supporting Sherman.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
ahaug82 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:
DePack said:

Why edit, porky. I'd like to see what the genius called me. And believe me, if I or anybody else that supports Sherman called names it would come to more than an edit. First of all, I never typed what you said I typed. Apparently it is a-haug that can't read. Sherman's record as GM is 12-4,12-4,10-6,10-6. TT's is 4-12 and ????

Make yourself look foolish and keep debating!!!!!

And ripping pyle while he can't respond is typical. You KNOW he was banned for supporting Sherman.

Let's all get overly excited over nothing, shall we?

I didn't call you anything. I typed
....and then you just reply with "10-6 and 4-12, 10-6 and 4-12. Yeah, that's what I thought idiots."
Notice the quotation marks. That wasn't even directed towards you. It shouldn't have been modded.

Also, you just called me foolish for saying that you always respond to reason and logic with the records of the GMs. What do you do next? You post the records of the GMs. That's funny. :lol:

And I didn't know pyle was banned because really, I don't care. I don't spend my life on packerforum.com and I'm not fully up to date with the goings on with all of the members. It doesn't matter, because that's not ripping him. It's simply stating what he does. Look back at in this thread and you'll see many instances where this actually happens.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem here is that change is inevitable and yey many just won't except it.

The fact that things have changed dramatically since MS first took over is ignored and when the facts come out they revert back to the "record" as a saving grace.

When MS took over the reins the players he inherited were in their PRIME. Bubba, Green, Favre, Rivera(whom TT only got to see going out the door), were churning out All-Pro seasons.

MS inherited the best offensive line in the NFL. TT inherited a problem. Some how, some way, with very little money he was stuck with fixing it. No way he keeps Rivera. There's a player that made the Pro-Bowl during MS' rein that TT couldn't touch.

Many here attack TT and fault HIM for the 4-12 record of last year when in reality that was MS team. How much influence could any new GM have in the first year with $2 million bucks? Make no mistake the signiture at the bottom of the '05 roster was MS not TT.

TT goes down as the GM of record in '05 but the identity of that team personnel-wise was, as it always is, the former GM's for the lions share.

So some here don't like change. I would guess Brett and Bubba and William and Ahman would love to take some years off the table. But since that's not going to happen SOMEBODY is left to deal with how to handle it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
The problem here is that change is inevitable and yey many just won't except it.

The fact that things have changed dramatically since MS first took over is ignored and when the facts come out they revert back to the "record" as a saving grace.

When MS took over the reins the players he inherited were in their PRIME. Bubba, Green, Favre, Rivera(whom TT only got to see going out the door), were churning out All-Pro seasons.

MS inherited the best offensive line in the NFL. TT inherited a problem. Some how, some way, with very little money he was stuck with fixing it. No way he keeps Rivera. There's a player that made the Pro-Bowl during MS' rein that TT couldn't touch.

Many here attack TT and fault HIM for the 4-12 record of last year when in reality that was MS team. How much influence could any new GM have in the first year with $2 million bucks? Make no mistake the signiture at the bottom of the '05 roster was MS not TT.

TT goes down as the GM of record in '05 but the identity of that team personnel-wise was, as it always is, the former GM's for the lions share.

So some here don't like change. I would guess Brett and Bubba and William and Ahman would love to take some years off the table. But since that's not going to happen SOMEBODY is left to deal with how to handle it.

So the same can be said for the Lombardi team, right. He won with Blackburn and McLean's players. It was their signatures on those teams.....not Lombardi's.

Gimme a break.

For every player that Wolf drafted MS could have gotten rid of his first year. He chose to keep them and he fielded winning teams. TT did the opposite and he is fielding a team that SO FAR is an embarassment. Well over half the players on this team are TT's choices. Sooner or later TT has to be treated like a big boy and take responsibility for this team. You guys wanna give him a 4 year built in excuse??? Enjoy it.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
ahaug82 said:
DePack said:
Have a nice day ahaug!!

And to you too my friend. :wink:

I wasn't being a wiseass....just my way of saying I'm done with the thread. I've always enjoyed your posts in the past!!

I wasn't being a wiseass either. You said have a nice day and I returned the favor. :-?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
warhawk said:

So the same can be said for the Lombardi team, right. He won with Blackburn and McLean's players. It was their signatures on those teams.....not Lombardi's.

Gimme a break.

For every player that Wolf drafted MS could have gotten rid of his first year. He chose to keep them and he fielded winning teams. TT did the opposite and he is fielding a team that SO FAR is an embarassment. Well over half the players on this team are TT's choices. Sooner or later TT has to be treated like a big boy and take responsibility for this team. You guys wanna give him a 4 year built in excuse??? Enjoy it.

A blatant attempt to obscure the point of the post. It was pointed directly at the '05 season that you want to continuously throw back in everybody's face as TT's doing when the personnel of that team was by a vast majority Ms's.
The guy had no money to make any serious change in '05. Did he not stay with the Carrolls and Jacksons, and Romans, and Digg's, and Lenon, and Davenports and Flannigans?

The only change was at guard which was, as pointed out, a problem he inherited, not one he created.

You also never make mention of the fact that many of the key players were INJURED last year which contributed greatly to the outcome of the season.

Stating MS COULD have gotten rid of of Wolf's players is untrue as well. Most were under long term contracts and in their prime so how and WHY would he do that anyways?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
warhawk said:

Gimme a break.

MS kept Wolf's players because they were good. They made the roster and ended up starting sooner or later.

TT is ridding Sherman's draft picks because they can't make the roster. There not that good. It's now 8 of 27 Draft picks with the recent release of Carroll that are actually on an NFL Team.

So to think that if we kept all of Sherman's draft picks we'd be a better team when 19 of them are watching games just like you and me is a little ridiculous in that sense.

I myself believe if no improvement is shown by next season then a change needs to be made. I don't have control over the team. I think TT is probably going to get 2 more years here. That just the feeling I get. The feeling I get he’ll rise and fall with Aaron Rodgers. If Rodgers emerges like a Rex Grossman has or a Carson Palmer has then this team is in good shape to be strong in the near future. If he fails that’s a huge set back and I think he could cost TT his job and McCarthy obviously as well.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
[
Stating MS COULD have gotten rid of of Wolf's players is untrue as well. Most were under long term contracts and in their prime so how and WHY would he do that anyways?

Yea because you can't just cut a guy......ala Ahmad Carroll......

Sherman must have been a pretty good GM to recognize Wolf's players were pretty good!

And yea Porky....if TT hadn't made any changes at all we would have a better record.

Now go about your lives....you lost.... this thread is long enough. Be gone boys.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
warhawk said:
[

Sherman must have been a pretty good GM to recognize Wolf's players were pretty good!

And yea Porky....if TT hadn't made any changes at all we would have a better record.

Now go about your lives....you lost.... this thread is long enough. Be gone boys.

:rotflmao:

Brick wall. :wall:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
DePack said:
warhawk said:
[

Tell me about it....frustrating as hell ain't it :wink:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
ahaug82 said:
DePack said:
warhawk said:
[

Tell me about it....frustrating as hell ain't it :wink:

Most of the time it is entertaining. What else is there to do when things are bleak. You, Pyle, Anubis, and Lare make this whole forum fun!

You mentioned the coach before Lombardi, just how old are you De? :lol: :wink:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it kinda is Depack.

You want fact so your given facts.

Over 90% of the players on the '05 team were MS guys and yet the record you are so quick to draw on is all TT's fault. Maybe it was the coaching! Oh wait a minute that was MS as well. Better not go there.

All you come back with is babble about how MS could have changed out Wolfs players as well and some nonsense about Lombardi. Neither have anything to do with the topic.

The point is TT DIDN'T change MS's players out in '05 and we went 4-12. If anything I would think you would want to move past '05 since you ARE an MS fan considering he was on the sideline with all the players he had brought to the party when the ugly happened.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just have a thing about giving credit where credits due and the same goes for blame.

If your going to go on and on and on about Mike Shermans RECORD than be straight up about it.

When it's essentially the same players and the same coach and the record shows 12-4 or 4-12 the guy gets the credit for the great season and takes responsibility for the bad one as well.

Put all you want on TT for whatever happens in '06 and beyond. But don't put him in front of MS on the list for what happened in '05.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

That's not what I asked. Your twisting words. I mentioned just Sherman's draft picks. If they were going to make an impact on this team they certainly wouldn't of been cut but even if it was just a "stupid" mistake by Ted Thompson you'd think quality players like that would be picked up. That's not the case. If we want we can pick them up. There not in the NFL right now and that's why I highly doubt this team would be better with even the majority of those draft picks. There is a reason why they were release. They ended up being bad picks.

Every NFL team changes year in and year out. If not then there would be no free agency or salary cap at all. That's what it was design for to create parity in the league.

Reaction score
SOURCE.

The Green Bay Packers have been playing one man short all season because of a roster decision regarding cornerback Will Blackmon that was highly questionable when made Sept. 2 and looks even worse now

General manager Ted Thompson admits that Blackmon should have spent the first six weeks of the regular season on the physically unable to perform list.

"In hindsight, yeah, absolutely it would probably have made more sense to go 'PUP,' " Thompson said Friday. "But I didn't have the luxury of that at the time."

Thompson was referring to what he says is a complication during Blackmon's rehabilitation that has caused him to be out longer than anticipated.

"The reason he wasn't able to go during training camp was not the reason he's not able to go now," he said. "It's a new thing. I'm not saying it's not the same foot or the same area or anything like that. But the foot is a very complicated thing."

Blackmon, a fourth-round draft choice from Boston College, suffered a break of the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot during a routine play May 21 in minicamp. On May 30, he underwent surgery.

According to Blackmon, he never had a setback and his current problems aren't related to treatment.

"It's just not ready yet," he said Friday. "It was an educated guess they made. You've got to live and die with the decision they make. I could have been back by the Saints game (Sept. 17) but it just so happens I wasn't. You can't really say this should be better by then. The body reacts in a funky way."

Blackmon was asked whether it's possible he might not be ready until 2007.

"Anything's possible, to be honest with you," he replied. "But I made huge progress from last week to this week."

Based on the injury, the position that Blackmon plays and the fact he had so little practice time in Green Bay, placing him on the physically unable to perform list appeared to be the logical move. If the Packers had done so, they could have added a healthy player to their 53-man roster and still been able to use Blackmon later in the season.

The unavailability of Blackmon, who still can't practice, became even more critical this week when the Packers felt compelled to cut nickel back Ahmad Carroll.

The cornerbacks behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson are free agent Patrick Dendy, who played 13 snaps from scrimmage last season for the Packers; rookie free agent Jarrett Bush, who has played about 10 snaps from scrimmage in four games; and Blackmon.

If Blackmon had gone on the physically unable to perform list, he would have had to remain there until at least Oct. 17. Between Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, the Packers could have designated him eligible for practice for a 21-day period. After the 21 days, they either would have had to activate him, cut him or place him on injured reserve.

"You always err on the side of caution, particularly when it's a weight-bearing bone," a personnel director for another team said. "He's got to plant and drive. Unless you know 100% he'll be ready by Week 3 you just keep him on PUP. Give him as much time as you can."

Thompson said the Packers weren't concerned in the least about having to pay 54 players.

Blackmon did practice from Sept. 6-8, wore pads on two days and took part in team drills with the scout team. Since then, he hasn't been able to take part in any organized workouts

"I just wanted to try it out," he said. "It wasn't a failure. It just wasn't ready. We want it to be as soon as possible. Then again, we don't want to rush it where I screw it up even worse."

Thompson described the club's medical staff as "marvelous" and said he didn't feel let down in the case of Blackmon.

Dendy, 5 feet 11½ inches and 190 pounds, will be the nickel back Sunday against St. Louis, according to Bush. He also said if either Harris or Woodson were injured, it would be Dendy taking their place.

"I kind of like him," Thompson said, referring to Dendy. "He's a good kid and has had some tough breaks. I think he's passionate about playing the game. He has some physical skills to play."

Dendy ran 40 yards in 4.63 seconds before his final season at Rice. Thompson said Dendy ran in the 4.4s for the Packers last year. They signed him in April 2005 after he didn't even get into a pro camp in 2004.

Thompson called Dendy a smart player. He holds a degree in economics from Rice, worked for a Houston law firm during the off-season and scored 19 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

The Packers elected to promote Dendy from the practice squad to replace Carroll instead of signing Tony Beckham, who is high on their emergency list at cornerback. Beckham, a former UW-Stout player, was a backup for Tennessee from 2002-'05 and had a solid summer with Minnesota.

Mike Hawkins, who was cut by Green Bay on Sept. 2, has worked out for five teams in the past month. Another former Packers cornerback, Jason Horton, has had three tryouts. Carroll's first workout was Thursday in Kansas City.

Two veteran starting cornerbacks, former Giant Will Peterson and former 49er Ahmed Plummer, are recovering from back and neck injuries, respectively, and aren't ready to play. Peterson should be ready by November.

Although Thompson doesn't like trading draft picks, he might if the right cornerback became available. The trading deadline is Oct. 17.

"There's not a whole lot of them around that people want to get rid of," he said.

So the Packers, who rank 31st in pass defense, plunge ahead at the position with one player who's out indefinitely and two raw newcomers as their backups.

I'm mixed about this.

First of all I like that TT is able to admit his mistake, even if to some degree.

However, TT should have taken into account that "the foot is a complicated thing" as well as the fact that Blackmon needed a few weeks of practice to get up to speed on things before being read yo go out there, and placed him on PUP.

Also, does anyone else get mixed signals here? TT says it is a new problem, but Blackmon says "it [the foot] simply isn't ready yet".

Mixed signals? :-?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is this weeks scapegoat

Now that Carroll is gone who will be this weeks scapegoat? Somebody has to go to keep the heat off Thompson. How about Sanders? Last week we played with ten men on the field twice.

"We will fix that"...this week our defense played with ten guys on the field only once and had 12 men on the field twice which cost us a timeout and a penalty that was declined because we couldn't even stop them with 12.

This kind of crap is inexcusable for a high school team. Last week it was inexcusable. This week it is flat out embarassing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts