DE Jeremy Thompson from Scouts.inc

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grade: 75
6'4", 264, 4.75

Strengths: Plays with a wide base, is stouter than size indicates and can hold ground at the point of contact when plays with sound technique. Keeps head, shows good lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage and string plays out. Takes sound pursuit angles and closes down cutback lanes. Stays disciplined and generally does a good job of sniffing out misdirection. Has quick feet and flashes an effective swim move when rushing the passer. Gets good depth and reads the quarterback's eyes when asked to drop into zone coverage. Blocked a field goal attempt in 2004 and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Stands up too much coming out of stance, lacks elite size and can get driven back at this point. Lacks ideal lower body strength, gets engulfed by double teams and struggles when teams run right at him. Takes too long to shed blocks and can avoid blockers rather than stacking them up. Takes too long to locate the ball and occasionally gets caught out of position as a result. Shows good range as a run defender but appears to gear down when sees other defenders getting to the ball carrier and effort is somewhat inconsistent. Doesn't do a great job of anticipating the snap and is step slow getting off the ball at times as a result. Lacks ideal top-end speed and is going to have problems turning the corner at the NFL level. Doesn't always drive legs once in position and isn't a powerful bull rusher. Sustained a season-ending knee injury in 2005, slowed by a shoulder injury in 2006 and durability is a concern.

Overall: Thompson was an instant contributor when he arrived at Wake Forest, collecting 66 tackles (9.5 for losses) and two sacks in 33 games (19 starts) through his first three seasons (2004-'06). In 2005, he suffered an ACL tear in his left knee and missed the Demon Deacons' final three games, and in 2006 he was slowed by a shoulder injury in the team's last four games. As a senior in 2007, he had 46 tackles (11 for losses) and 6.5 sacks. For his career, Thompson also recorded two interceptions, seven pass breakups, two forced fumbles and two blocked kicks. Thompson projects as a fourth round pick because he doesn't have prototypical speed or explosiveness and he has had some problems staying healthy. However, he moves well for his size, he has the frame to bulk up and he doesn't make many mistakes so he could develop into an adequate starter or valuable backup.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a situational pass rusher. We still need some linemen and I don't know what we traded.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall hearing this name and that is very odd because I hardly pay ANY attention to players entering the draft..

Maybe this is a relative of Teddy?

LOL

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB moved 113 and 162 (late 5th) to move up to 106. So, they still have their other two 4s.

Mayock really liked his upside as a pass rusher. Thinks he can be a beast off the edge.

OP
OP
A

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the talking heads said Tennessee had targeted Thompson at 103, so we wouldn't have landed him without the trade.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the talking heads said Tennessee had targeted Thompson at 103, so we wouldn't have landed him without the trade.

Considering the titans took a DE with 103, right after GB took Thompson...thats probably right. Tennessee probably HATES Ted Thompson right now for that move. Took him right under their nose.

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the brother of Orrin Thompson. I college a lot of people compared him to Julius Peppers. Hopefully he can have some of the success in the pros.

Reaction score
gopackgo said:
Hmm. This guy must be special. I mean, we did trade UP for him!

KGB's eventual replacement?

Looks like it.

The Packers' scout that scouted him was interviewed after the pick and said Thompson played almost entirely at RE at Wake Forest.

Speaking about the low sack numbers, the Packers' scout said some of that can be explained by the fact that Thompson was always asked to play in a read and react system, so a lot of the time his first job wasn't to rush the passer.

Seems like a solid pick, Thompson was said to be a gym rat and someone who just loves to be out on the football field. Should further bolster our ST.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Looks like it.

The Packers' scout that scouted him was interviewed after the pick and said Thompson played almost entirely at RE at Wake Forest.

Speaking about the low sack numbers, the Packers' scout said some of that can be explained by the fact that Thompson was always asked to play in a read and react system, so a lot of the time his first job wasn't to rush the passer.

Seems like a solid pick, Thompson was said to be a gym rat and someone who just loves to be out on the football field. Should further bolster our ST.

Thanks AADP.

Rock will put 10-15 pounds of solid muscle on him without losing a fraction of second in speed.

Our D will demand he put pressure on the QB, so hopefully he should get some good sack numbers.

I'm really excited about this pick now, from all everyone's saying here.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I like hearing that. Thompson seems to put a higher priority on that stuff than Sherman did.

The drafting of Thompson most likely puts and end to the Mike Montgomery experiment and hopefully will provide a low-cost replacement for KGB after this season or the next.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this and thought it was interesting:

"Thompson provides the Packers with another solid pass rusher off the bench. He has the ability to start at the NFL level. His 10-yard time of 1.53 was as good as Chris Long or Vernon Gholston, who both went in the top-10 picks."
-http://nfldraft.rivals.com/nfldraft.asp?Round=4

Speedy off the line, nice...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
look at this guys nfl.com video.

he is a freakin beast. atheletic as hell.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/jeremy-thompson?id=2317

looks like a great upside to this guy. someone that will need some grooming sure. but is a gym rat and wants it.

i like this pick

I knew\still know nothing about this guy really, so that helps.

This draft was the depth draft of awesomeness.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is going to end up being a great pick. Rock will make him strong and explosive.

Really the only pick I'm worried about is Lee.

Members online

Latest posts