DD

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I post on many different forums. I like sports, cars, fishing, computers, civil rights.

Anyways, for several years I have been arguing w/some Cowboys fans regarding the Packers. 2005 was a rough year. There are many Packer & Favre haters out there.

Todays discussion revolved around DD v.s. TO.

I feel not only is DD as good as TO, but when the two careers are over, DD will have better stats than TO. I put DD right in the same class as Reggie Wayne, Harrison, & TO. Some do not feel DD is a elite player.

What does Packer nation think?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I dont think that DD is even the best reciever on the team. Whenever people talk about DD I never think he is the number one reciever. IMO you cant be a number one reciever on a team, or a elite reciever in the NFL with the ammount of dropped passes that he has.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, going to have to whip out DD's stats:

| 2004 gnb | 16 | 84 1208 14.4 9 |
| 2005 gnb | 16 | 86 1221 14.2 5 |
| 2006 gnb | 16 | 92 1295 14.1 8 |
| 2007 gnb | 9 | 48 602 12.5 2 |

Definitely look like elite stats to me. The reason why 2007 is lower is because MM plans the ball to be spread around more, and that's a GOOD thing. You double cover DD, GJ will get you. You double cover both, one of our other WRs or Lee will get you. Our receivers cannot be stopped.

DD is one of the toughest WRs in the league. He's not scared to go up the middle and sacrifice for the team. He plays to win, and fights tooth and nail for every yard he gets. I can't say enough good stuff about DD. He's my second favorite Packer right now.

If he plays at least 3 more years at this level, he has a shot to make the Hall. He's already a lock for the Packers Hall of Fame.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you mean by "elite." Moss is definitely elite, but after him it gets kind of fuzzy. Maybe T.O. because he does score a lot of TD's and always has. T.O.'s weakness is that he drops a lot of balls, way more than Driver or any other good receiver I can think of. I've always thought Driver's hands were above average, by the way. Not outstanding, but very good. He is asked to catch a lot of bullets in heavy traffic. T.O. drops easy ones.

In the end, I guess I have to say yes, Driver is an elite receiver. I think he's about on the level of Reggie Wayne. But more importantly, Driver is a great team guy, and I honestly don't think he cares much whether or not people think he's an "elite" receiver.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved DD. There is no one in the NFL how has a bigger heart than he does.
There is no doubt that DD and Brett are very much in tune with one another.
His problem is that Brett has always spread the ball around while the "elite" WRs are on teams that focus on one WR so their stats are always going to end up being better.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I dont think that DD is even the best reciever on the team. Whenever people talk about DD I never think he is the number one reciever. IMO you cant be a number one reciever on a team, or a elite reciever in the NFL with the ammount of dropped passes that he has.

lol what a joke. ok you tell me some drop passes he has had when the ball was right in his hands and he just plain dropped it. and do you remember who is throwing the ball to him. i can only remember like 1 time when he dropped a pass right in his hands and that was like chargers game when favre threw a bullet from like 5 yards away or less.

DRIVER IS ONE OF THE BEST RECIEVERS IN THE LEAGUE THERE IS NO ARGUEMENT. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY WE TALK ABOUT THIS ANYMORE. ESPECIALLY PACKER FANS

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Driver has excellent hands, is fast enough, uses his body well, has a huge heart / determination, but most importantly he is a smart reciever.

Smart meaning, he can exploit a defense to find a hole in the coverage, sit down and gain the needed yards.

Their are wides with more speed, are bigger and stronger, and can jump higher. But ask yourself this, how many recievers would you rather throw to if you needed a catch?

I can't think of too many, maybe 2, so yes I would have to put him as an elite reciever in the NFL currently.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask yourself this, who would you rather have playing receiver on your team? My answer is easy because DD is consistent. How many games in a row now with a catch? And last year he was double covered the whole season and still put up good numbers.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what you think an elite receiver is. I only have about 4 or 5 and Driver is not one of them but then I have a lot of great receivers which are also considered #1. Driver is that in my opinion. He does just about everything well. The only thing he can't do is really stretch the field on a consistent basis. Outside of that he's up there in my opinion.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved DD. There is no one in the NFL how has a bigger heart than he does.
There is no doubt that DD and Brett are very much in tune with one another.
His problem is that Brett has always spread the ball around while the "elite" WRs are on teams that focus on one WR so their stats are always going to end up being better.

See, that's how I see it.

You put Driver on a team where the #2 WR sucks, and he'll put up "elite" numbers. It's just, we spread the ball around, unlike a lot of other teams.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, putting aside DD is my favorite WR and trying to be as open-minded as possible, who would you rather have than DD as our #1 WR?

Randy Moss? Ok, personality aside, sure.

Who else?

Nobody I can think of, and DEFINITELY not T.O. He'll drop the passes DD will catch. Nothing kills drives like sacks, penalties, and dropped passes. I'm not even mentioning his attitude.

Reggie Wayne? About tied.

Chad Johnson puts up numbers, but I'd compare him more to Greg Jennings, and I'd seriously rather have Jennings than Johnson. You might think I'm a fool saying that now, but I guarantee you, five years from now, you'll look back and say I'm right.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD is as elite as #4 needs him to be. And by my estimation, as good as any WR in the league. Sure, Moss (elite WR by most accounts) is more explosive, but also more limited in the middle of the field. DD blocks for the run, Moss does not. DD give supreme effort each and every play, Moss does not. DD is a team guy, Moss is not. DD is happy to win...even with reduced numbers, Moss is not. DD helps groom the guys coming up....his replacements, Moss does not.

Yeah, DD is elite, by any measure. The heart of a champion resides in his non-prototype frame...wouldn't trade him for anybody.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD did one thing that Moss will never do, and that is help to bring a team from a losing record BACK into contention.
DD's greatness comes from being a complete package - he's a playmaker, he is tough, can go deep, can break away, fights for more yards, hangs onto the ball in tough situations, blocks downfield, has an outstanding understanding with his quarterback, and is as high quality of a guy as you'll find in the NFL.

Part of this is from being a fan, but I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on what you think an elite receiver is. I only have about 4 or 5 and Driver is not one of them but then I have a lot of great receivers which are also considered #1. Driver is that in my opinion. He does just about everything well. The only thing he can't do is really stretch the field on a consistent basis. Outside of that he's up there in my opinion.

I'll go with Porky on this one. When I think of elite I think of possibly 2 or 3 people in the entire league and I can name 2 or 3 better overall package than Driver. However, he would be in the next grouping of top 10 receivers in the league, and probably close to - if not in - the top 5.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD is greta but just on talent I wouldn't say he's an elite WR BUT when you take the whole package of talent plus heart plus leadership I would have to say he's right up there. There's stuff that doesn't get considered like with DD you know he won't ever leave you hanging holding out heading into a season. Can that be garenteed about Moss or TO for next year?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask yourself this, who would you rather have playing receiver on your team? My answer is easy because DD is consistent. How many games in a row now with a catch? And last year he was double covered the whole season and still put up good numbers.

I think people are taking me wrong. I dont think DD is a bad reciever at all. He is doing a good job this year, and he is causing Jones, and Jennings to get open by being double teamed, and he is still catching balls. And Ill take DD one on one with any defender in the open field. I just dont think that he is a number one. But to answer the question. I would take Randy Moss, TO, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress, and Houshmandzadeh, among others above DD.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD has been under rated by the league in my opinion. The man is the heart of our receiving core. I can't count the times he has taken the hits in double coverage while keeping hold of the ball to make important plays. I think part of the success of our group of receivers as a whole is how DD takes some heat away from the others. The man is tough and has class. He may not stretch the field like a Moss but he has taken far more hits and keeps ticking.

Cheers to DD ( he is elite in my mind anyway )

:packbeer:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD has been under rated by the league in my opinion. The man is the heart of our receiving core. I can't count the times he has taken the hits in double coverage while keeping hold of the ball to make important plays. I think part of the success of our group of receivers as a whole is how DD takes some heat away from the others. The man is tough and has class. He may not stretch the field like a Moss but he has taken far more hits and keeps ticking.

Cheers to DD ( he is elite in my mind anyway )

:packbeer:

Not only will he take those hits in double coverage, he will know he's going down and fight for one more yard. Those yards add up.

Like several other people have mentioned, DD blocks and goes up the middle, two things Randy Moss won't do.

By the way, I'm very proud of K-Rob. He put on some killer blocks last game.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer ,

Right on all three counts my friend, I loved K-Rob last game too. That time he was down but ****** his body around to get that extra yard was fantastic !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts