Day 2 Preview

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers did well to add a guy to the defensive line that TT clearly coveted. Mayock raved about him and I think he's got a great skill set to develop into a special player. Obviously we'll see.

But, let's move on to day 2. Packers have two selections near the latter stages of each round. Here is our prediction for day 2, including a breakdown of the players available and those that should be realistic options for TT. I make two fearless predictions, including one where TT trades up to get a guy that MM would absolutely love to utilize all over the field.

http://wp.me/p29VCs-hy

Who do you think Packers target on day 2? Will they trade? If so, up or down?

H

HardRightEdge

I think the 2nd. round will see a lot of those DTs and receivers moving off the board in fairly short order.

I think DT would be a good choice in Round 2 depending on who's left. I don't think Jenkins is all that far fetched. He needs to be in better shape, but regardless I see little or no falloff from Raji and a bunch of cap savings come next year. In the mean time he can get his feet wet with some of Pickett's snaps and spelling Raji. There is enough concern about his "bad body" he might fall to us.

Any receiver I might get a little excited about (Woods...hands, routes and 4.4 speed) won't be around for our pick in the 2nd. I think we should shoot for a project speed guy in a later round (Fuller).

I can't say I can get all that excited about the TEs after Eifert. Next year's class should be stronger. I guess the Kelce kid is kinda interesting.

I'm looking for an O-Lineman in round 3. In keeping with the "versatile and athletic" theme set with the Jones pick, I'd still say Quessenberry would be a decent value here. He might even take Newhouse's job. Or could we trade Perry and our #3 for Albert? :eek:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too foresee TT getting a WR/TE here on day 2 unless something unforeseen falls to him. Like you I'm a fan of adding a DL or LB

Gopackgo520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like most have said day 2 would be a nice day to get a WR. More so than woods I would like to take Stedman Bailey who played opposite of Tavon Austin at West Vieginia. Kid is a great route runner and has absolutely superb hands. I want him so we won't draft him.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking 3 players I'd really like to see us pick if they're still around at #55:

Eddie Lacy
Jonathan Cyprien
Menelik Watson

It's unlikely any 1 of those 3 will fall to us, but if they do, I hope TT scoops him up.

Bailey in round 3 and Quessenbery in round 4 would make for a nice round-out, assuming we didn't nab Watson in round 2.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking for an O-Lineman in round 3. In keeping with the "versatile and athletic" theme set with the Jones pick, I'd still say Quessenberry would be a decent value here. He might even take Newhouse's job. Or could we trade Perry and our #3 for Albert? :eek:

I wouldn't be upset if we tabbed a lineman in round 3. In addition to Quessenberry, I'd keep my eye out for Barrett Jones. Played every position for Alabama and won 3 national championships - maybe even at a different position for each one. He'd offer good competition to EDS for center, which would be good.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has drafted worst in the 5th & 7th rounds. Especially considering his penchant and ability to find UDFAs post-draft, I would think that TT will bundle a pick or two in order to move up especially since he's got an extra 5th.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the second i think TT will go running back if there is one worth taking. Hopefully Bernard from North Caarolina. Wouldn't be shocked if he took Barret Jones either if he's still there. On another note Minnesota had a killer 1st rd, i think they hit on all three picks. Two of the three were projected to be top ten picks at one point.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a safety

I saw zero ucla games last season so it's hard for me to judge the pick. Otherwise I'm just working off 2nd hand knowledge and high light clips, not a good idea.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I have seen people scream for TT to get a back up QB for awhile. Free agency is pretty bad for that so here we are in a great position to pick up a quality back up. Would you want to waste a 2nd round pick on one? Or rather put it towards a player that should see the field?

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't be upset if we tabbed a lineman in round 3. In addition to Quessenberry, I'd keep my eye out for Barrett Jones. Played every position for Alabama and won 3 national championships - maybe even at a different position for each one. He'd offer good competition to EDS for center, which would be good.

Is there a reason why Barrett Jones worked down the O-Line food chain to center in his senior year?

I realize this is Alabama with Fluker and probably a bunch of stud underclassmen, but that kind of move inside in college does not suggest sufficient athleticism to play OT. Still, it looks like he'd be a good value for G/C out of the 3rd. round, but without the OT potential. Still and all, EDS is the only center on the roster among the guys likely to make the final 7 which seems like the best argument for Jones.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking 3 players I'd really like to see us pick if they're still around at #55:

Eddie Lacy
Jonathan Cyprien
Menelik Watson

It's unlikely any 1 of those 3 will fall to us, but if they do, I hope TT scoops him up.

Bailey in round 3 and Quessenbery in round 4 would make for a nice round-out, assuming we didn't nab Watson in round 2.
I'm hoping Watson is not there, or we pass him bye. Surprised to read that some question if he even likes football. The sacrifice and dedication necessary to succeed requires, IMHO, a love of football.

Cyprien would be great, but the player I would really like is either ILB brown or Minter. Add some attitude to the Defense will go a long way.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Watson is not there, or we pass him bye. Surprised to read that some question if he even likes football. The sacrifice and dedication necessary to succeed requires, IMHO, a love of football.

Cyprien would be great, but the player I would really like is either ILB brown or Minter. Add some attitude to the Defense will go a long way.

I completely agree with both takes. Watson is too much of a product to really be of benefit to us immediately - and potentially ever. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like Brown or Minter, I get the distinct feeling that TT is satisfied with Hawk, Jones, Manning, Lattimore inside - which, frankly, sucks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I completely agree with both takes. Watson is too much of a product to really be of benefit to us immediately - and potentially ever. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like Brown or Minter, I get the distinct feeling that TT is satisfied with Hawk, Jones, Manning, Lattimore inside - which, frankly, sucks.

If Minter is still there for our 2nd round...I think TT would think long and hard about it, he's not one to allow what he has affect his drafting....no matter whether what he has is a need or not in his eyes.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on the quissenberry train. I would also keep an eye on Kiko Alonso the ILB out of Oregon. He is a different breed than the usual slow hawk type.

M

mayo44

Eddie Lacy
Jonathan Cyprien
Menelik Watson

Actually, one or more of them could definitely fall to us. With Geno not being drafted yesterday, there could be an early-to-mid round run on QBs. As far as Lacy goes, I could very easily see Franklin, Ball, Bell, or Bernard getting drafted before him. The talking heads all like to say Lacy is the best because they think they need to up their own market hype that way, but the reality is that there is a top tier that includes those guys who are all actually pretty much equal talent-wise. I'd actually prefer waiting until the 5th round or so to draft a "boom or bust" kind of guy like Davis or Stacy. It's not like RB is a pressing need for us.

MidnightToker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I have seen people scream for TT to get a back up QB for awhile. Free agency is pretty bad for that so here we are in a great position to pick up a quality back up. Would you want to waste a 2nd round pick on one? Or rather put it towards a player that should see the field?

I know I'm going to be flamed for this to no end, but I say we take Jordan Rodgers if he's still there in the 6th or 7th round. I think he could be a solid backup, regardless of his last name and relationship to our current starting QB.

If I'm not mistaken, Aaron had considerable influence in the re-signing of James Jones (correct me if I'm wrong on that). Is it crazy to think that he has asked Ted to consider drafting Jordan in the late rounds? It's the only time he's going to have a brother in the draft

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. I'd like to find a preview somewhere who predicted this day for the packers. haha. Eddy Lacy and 10 picks for day 3. Have fun trying to guess what TT does with all that ammo tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts