Davante Adams Thread!

D

Deleted member 6794

Amen! As I have said before I love speed as much as the next guy but I would much rather have the guy with "enough" speed that runs crisp routes, has sticky hands and is where 12 wants him to be more times than not. Marvin Harrison wasn't the fastest guy and for that matter neither was Reggie Wayne. What did those 2 "non-burner" guys do? Exactly. The great thing is if we didn't have AR one could use the "yeah but they had a HOF QB throwing..." Call me a homer but as much as I respect and admire Manning I would take 12 over him every day of the week and that is saying something. I am so jacked to see Adams in the redzone beasting on DB's. His skill set just fits so well with what we do and judging from his body type he should be a pretty decent blocker on the edge. I will admit that I am learning more on him daily as well as the other picks and UDFA's but does anyone know what type of blocker this kid is? Does he enjoy it and attack it while utilizing his thick frame? Does he do enough to get by and not look like he's ******* it? Does he olay (sp?) people? Did Fresno even run the ball?!?!? Drop some knowledge on me if anyone has some insight on this...GPG!!

He's not a great blocker downfield and isn't as physical as his size might indicate.

Fresno State didn't run the ball that much last season, only doing it on 38% of the plays.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a great blocker downfield and isn't as physical as his size might indicate.

Fresno State didn't run the ball that much last season, only doing it on 38% of the plays.
Thanks for the input. Dude has the size to pancake some DB's and hopefully he incorporates that into his game. Quite frankly, if he wants to see a bunch of PT early on I think he better. Obviously the offense will revolve around 12 but with what we have in Lacy, Starks and Co. I think our run game could be down right scary this year. It goes without saying that in order to jump to the next level of running success our guys out wide need to lock there man up and stay on him like a rat on a cheetoh. Lacy is scary on those toss sweeps and if our guys buy into blocking I dare say the running game could really take off! I have to say it has been a while since I have been so excited to see how we will look this upcoming year. From the addition of Peppers and what sort of disruption he will bring to the man I hope so shakeup at LB to a secondary with it's full compliment of players and addition of HaHa and Hyde's supposed new role. I could go on and on but the bottom line is it appears to me that we have a mostly stocked cubbard and a bunch of young guys in a make or break situation (Sherrod, Perry, Raji, D. Jones to a certain extent, Burnett, the "other Jones", etc. etc.) Surely a few of those guys will rise to the occasion and perform at the levels they appear capable of. As we have all been saying Week 1 will be a good barometer of where we are but I also hope we don't go overboard regardless of the outcome. The only way I would go bat shhh crazy would be a 35-10 like whipping of the SuperBowl champs in their house. Man would that be sweeeeet... GPG!

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the input. Dude has the size to pancake some DB's and hopefully he incorporates that into his game. Quite frankly, if he wants to see a bunch of PT early on I think he better. Obviously the offense will revolve around 12 but with what we have in Lacy, Starks and Co. I think our run game could be down right scary this year. It goes without saying that in order to jump to the next level of running success our guys out wide need to lock there man up and stay on him like a rat on a cheetoh. Lacy is scary on those toss sweeps and if our guys buy into blocking I dare say the running game could really take off! I have to say it has been a while since I have been so excited to see how we will look this upcoming year. From the addition of Peppers and what sort of disruption he will bring to the man I hope so shakeup at LB to a secondary with it's full compliment of players and addition of HaHa and Hyde's supposed new role. I could go on and on but the bottom line is it appears to me that we have a mostly stocked cubbard and a bunch of young guys in a make or break situation (Sherrod, Perry, Raji, D. Jones to a certain extent, Burnett, the "other Jones", etc. etc.) Surely a few of those guys will rise to the occasion and perform at the levels they appear capable of. As we have all been saying Week 1 will be a good barometer of where we are but I also hope we don't go overboard regardless of the outcome. The only way I would go bat shhh crazy would be a 35-10 like whipping of the SuperBowl champs in their house. Man would that be sweeeeet... GPG!

I think if he usn't a liability in blocking it won't hurt his chances of getting on the field.

I fully except Raji and Sherrod being gone after next season. As long as we don't find any replacements for the other guys you mentioned all of them should be safe.

As I've said repeatedly I'm worried about the ILB position.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if he usn't a liability in blocking it won't hurt his chances of getting on the field.

I fully except Raji and Sherrod being gone after next season. As long as we don't find any replacements for the other guys you mentioned all of them should be safe.

As I've said repeatedly I'm worried about the ILB position.

I agree with all the above for the most part. I guess my point was Adams' best chance of getting more PT than Boykin, if they are deemed close by the staff, would be showing off his blocking skills. Very true though, as long as he is even serviceable and does the most important thing (catch the rock) he will see the field plenty.

I do differ with you on Raji and Sherrod. With Raji going back to his more natural position I think he will have a very productive year and as long as he doesn't ask for the world it will be hard for the Pack to let him go. I may be delusional but I am still holding out hope that he can reemerge as a force in the middle. Sherrod is the tough one for me. Regardless of how well he plays this year there is no way (logically) he could ask for some mega contract considering his injury past. I actually think that this could end up working for both parties and I pray the young man gets a shot at resuming or for that matter, starting his career.

ILB is a mess for the most part. I would be foolish to argue otherwise. Hawk is what he is but we really, really need someone else to step in that can make some impact plays. Hopefully Lattimore, Bradford, Doughty, hell anyone comes in and takes the other spot by Hawk. Regardless of how we improve on the front and back ends I fear gaping holes in the middle of the field could cost us more than a handful of times. GPG!!

D

Deleted member 6794

I do differ with you on Raji and Sherrod. With Raji going back to his more natural position I think he will have a very productive year and as long as he doesn't ask for the world it will be hard for the Pack to let him go. I may be delusional but I am still holding out hope that he can reemerge as a force in the middle. Sherrod is the tough one for me. Regardless of how well he plays this year there is no way (logically) he could ask for some mega contract considering his injury past. I actually think that this could end up working for both parties and I pray the young man gets a shot at resuming or for that matter, starting his career.

ILB is a mess for the most part. I would be foolish to argue otherwise. Hawk is what he is but we really, really need someone else to step in that can make some impact plays. Hopefully Lattimore, Bradford, Doughty, hell anyone comes in and takes the other spot by Hawk. Regardless of how we improve on the front and back ends I fear gaping holes in the middle of the field could cost us more than a handful of times. GPG!!

IMO Raji shouldn´t be brought back, no matter how he ends up playing in 2014. There´s no way I would trust him enough to sign him to a long term deal after the way he played in a contract year. I don´t expect Sherrod to win a starting job at any time next season, so there´s no reason to bring him back.

I think in an ideal world both Hawk and Jones should be replaced. I would be happy though with someone stepping up to at least put one of them on the bench.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Raji shouldn´t be brought back, no matter how he ends up playing in 2014. There´s no way I would trust him enough to sign him to a long term deal after the way he played in a contract year. I don´t expect Sherrod to win a starting job at any time next season, so there´s no reason to bring him back.

I think in an ideal world both Hawk and Jones should be replaced. I would be happy though with someone stepping up to at least put one of them on the bench.

I can follow your logic. There is certainly some warranted concerns with signing Raji long term. With the way injuries have hit this squad I will be absolutely shocked if Sherrod isn't called upon at some point to play meaningful snaps. For the kids sake I hope that if his name does get called he can step in and perform at a high level.

NO WAY Hawk isn't out there if he's healthy. You and I both know that so realistically in a best case scenario we end up with someone else lining up by 50. I just hope that one of the young bucks steals the job and makes it a no brainer. I think we are sooooo close to being a Super Bowl caliber team and I hope the ILB's can do their part to make that happen. For the record I am not a Hawk hater. I simply think it's clear that we could upgrade there however he IS serviceable and if we can get a playmaker beside him we would be just fine...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that it´s pretty obvious that if the Packers decide to re-sign only one of them it will be Cobb as he´s five years younger than Nelson.

With Jordy signed do you believe Cobb will be signed???

I said it in this thread, Cobb and Jordy both will be signed..Cobb wont be done this year, so I expect Cobb's new contract will be done about this time

D

Deleted member 6794

With Jordy signed do you believe Cobb will be signed???

I said it in this thread, Cobb and Jordy both will be signed..Cobb wont be done this year, so I expect Cobb's new contract will be done about this time

I would like the Packers to extend or re-sign Cobb as well. It will depend on how much he asks for though.

If you don't think Cobb's new contract will be done this year the Packers won't have a chance to wait until the start of training camp next year though as Cobb will become a UFA in March.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like the Packers to extend or re-sign Cobb as well. It will depend on how much he asks for though.

If you don't think Cobb's new contract will be done this year the Packers won't have a chance to wait until the start of training camp next year though as Cobb will become a UFA in March.

Typo on my prev post..

Meant this time NEXT year for Cobb to do a new deal

**ok a UFA**

Then I expect him to get new deal at end of season

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!! Saw Davante Adams make a few catches at Family Night and that's what I said each time. Excellent body control, soft hands, and he has a huge catch radius because every catch is actually him snatching the ball out of the air.

Once this kid gets onto the field the coaches won't be able to get him off. TT has struck gold in the 2nd round, again!

RobBlake

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fresno State fan here.

Davante Adams is going to be a star player in the NFL. He has some experience in the Pro Style offense and when DeRuyter came into town, he became a leader for the WR in the spread system. Coach preached in order to get the rock, you must block. It's a large reason *imo* that Oklahoma stand out Jalen Saunders transferred over there.

Pros:
+Attacks the ball at the highest point; experience in basketball really helps when working in the redzone.
+Speaking of the redzone.. he is a REDZONE MONSTER. The majority of his TDs I remember seeing being caught was from within the RZ and Carr just let Adams go to work.
+Strength: He can outmuscle a db for a ball, at least in college. I know strength may not instantly translate to the NFL because college dbs are not the same as NFL dbs.
+Blocking: Even though he is a star player, he can block and is willing to block
+Physicality: he loves talking trash and is not afraid to dish it to opposition, he rarely gets out of control with it
+YAC: He has moves and he often reminds me of crabtree when he has the ball in his hands
+Vertical: He has great leaping ability
Fun fact.. he was a a game or so away from breking Larry Fitz record of consecutive tds a game

Cons:
Loss of focus: There are times where he just loses focus in a season and he was called out on it by coach. See the Hawaii game of this past year.
Speed: He is never going to be the fastest guy on the field. He has average speed and he has developed moves to make up for it.

Route Running could use some sharpening

RobBlake

Cheesehead
Reaction score

FS ran quick WR screens as an extension of the run game, he knows how to block

H

HardRightEdge

Since week 5, Davante Adams leads the league in receiving yards with 677.

"I don't think he'll make the 53 man roster." - McGinn, and many, many others.

In searching for a thread for this note, I ran across post #120. I wouldn't change a word of that scouting report.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Since week 5, Davante Adams leads the league in receiving yards with 677.

"I don't think he'll make the 53 man roster." - McGinn, and many, many others.

In searching for a thread for this note, I ran across post #120. I wouldn't change a word of that scouting report.

I loved him coming out of college as you can tell from my original post.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams must have been really, REALLY hurt last year to play so ****-poor. Apparently I wasn't in-the-loop, but I'll eat crow for pleading for him to be cut. I'll try to stay more on top of the live-cam of the training room from now on :).

H

HardRightEdge

Adams must have been really, REALLY hurt last year to play so ****-poor. Apparently I wasn't in-the-loop, but I'll eat crow for pleading for him to be cut. I'll try to stay more on top of the live-cam of the training room from now on :).
You don't have to be "really, REALLY" hurt to play **** poor. You just have to be hurt enough.

Members online

Latest posts