Davante Adams Thread!

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just kind of worried. I mean what kind of competition did Fresno State face?

But I've doubted Ted Thompson before, too, and was proved wrong.

While competition does matter in some instances I truly believe that you need to step back and look at the total skill set and how it a) translates to the league and b) works within the system the player will be playing. Adams has the body type of a James Jones who himself played at a smaller school in San Jose St. The trend in the league seems to be bigger corners and safeties and Adams at the age of 21 already has his "man muscles". He appears to be able to get separation off the LOS and as we know has outstanding ups and air skills thanks to his hoops background. Also, he looks like he is a handful to bring down which is great for YAC and fits perfectly in the west coast passing game we use. I keep watching tape and I keep coming back to one guy which he reminds me of. Anquan Boldin. If you were to put these guys side by side I swear you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. If he can be anything like AB Ted will have hit a homerun with this pick IMO. For grins and giggles I pulled up a few "notable" games that Adams played what could be called stiffer competition. Take a look and I dare you not to smile the size of Texas...

Boise State (2 games): 17 for 162 and 2 TD's
Rutgers: 14 for 148 and 2 TD's
SMU: 13 for 144 and 1 TD
Oregon (in Autzen Stadium): 12 for 92
Air Force: 9 for 141 and 2 TD's
USC (Bowl Game): 9 for 73 and 1 TD

I don't know about you but dude seems to be able to play and play against just about anybody. Chew on this one as well if you will. Adams scored at least 1 TD in 22 of 26 collegiate games played and in 10 of the 22 he reached paydirt 2 or more times. Those are Madden numbers. Now I get that he played in a pass happy conference and whatnot but in my eyes that is exactly what the NFL is turning into. Bottom line is production talks and this kid could be a speech writer.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all fine and good, but I've not seen Boykin running away from anybody on the field. The same is true of Adams on the highlight tapes.

So what? I've seen Darius H-B run away from tons of people. But is he a better WRs than Boykin? Not if you look at his production on a per start basis. Track speed is fine and good, but production trumps all.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had him rated behind the glut of other Round 2 WR's. I liked Moncrief, Latimer, Robinson, Matthews, and Lee (depends on how you view his health) ahead of him.

It's easy to look at the stats and see all the production, and he has good hands, good size, catches in traffic, and tracks the over the shoulder ball well.

His negatives are that he ran so many bubble screens, quick hit curls, and short outs that he was very tough to evaluate. He doesn't get much seperation, runs sloppy routes at times, and has only 1 gear... on tape, good DB's had no trouble staying with him. To his credit, he still made a lot of catches with DB's draped all over him - but that's a double edged sword - he makes the catch, but is very often tightly covered b/c he can't shake the DB.

We'll see... I like him well enough, and viewed him as a 2nd round guy - I just like those other guys better, especially Moncrief. I think Moncrief probably belonged in the 1st round, but went near the end of the 3rd. Indy got a steal.

H

HardRightEdge

So what? I've seen Darius H-B run away from tons of people. But is he a better WRs than Boykin? Not if you look at his production on a per start basis. Track speed is fine and good, but production trumps all.
It's easy to make a favorable comparison with a guy in the Brick Hands Hall of Fame. How about all the other guys with speed and hands?
Heyward-Bey is already enshrined in the Stone Hands Hall of Fame and he's not even retired yet.
Tough to peg athletically. At the combine, compared to other WRs:

Poor 40
Good Shuttle
Poor 3 cone
Great vertical
Good Broad jump
Average Bench

But you look at the production and you think he must have a great understanding of the game, route running, and great hands.

There were 3 or 4 WRs who were about the same ranking, in my eyes, and I probably would have gone with at least 2 of the other guys. But, I have no doubt that Adams will be a very good player for us.
They like his hands.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had him rated behind the glut of other Round 2 WR's. I liked Moncrief, Latimer, Robinson, Matthews, and Lee (depends on how you view his health) ahead of him.

It's easy to look at the stats and see all the production, and he has good hands, good size, catches in traffic, and tracks the over the shoulder ball well.

His negatives are that he ran so many bubble screens, quick hit curls, and short outs that he was very tough to evaluate. He doesn't get much seperation, runs sloppy routes at times, and has only 1 gear... on tape, good DB's had no trouble staying with him. To his credit, he still made a lot of catches with DB's draped all over him - but that's a double edged sword - he makes the catch, but is very often tightly covered b/c he can't shake the DB.

We'll see... I like him well enough, and viewed him as a 2nd round guy - I just like those other guys better, especially Moncrief. I think Moncrief probably belonged in the 1st round, but went near the end of the 3rd. Indy got a steal.
I mocked Moncrief to us in the 2nd earlier. His measureables are very impressive and he may be a big star. I then heard whispers that he is inmature, a pain in the butt, and difficult to get along with. I took him off my list of possible TT targets.

Of the WRs left when the Packers picked, I would have takent Latimer, Robinson, then Adams. But Adams is very much worthy of the selection. My opinion would probably be different if I knew we were getting the other 2 guys with some height later in the draft.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question again is where is he going to play? Doesn't seem fast enough to play in the slot. Kinda small to be on the outside but he can get up and has some nice hands. I think he would've been there in the 3rd as I thought there were better Wrs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think Adams is going to play in one dedicated spot. If you look at recent Packers offensive teams they line receivers up all over the place. They all kind of play universally. Each receiver knows every receiver position of the field. That is one of the things that makes it so unique. I am very excited to see Devante Adams as part of the receiver corp. He is very athletic and I believe fast enough. He creates seperation out of cuts. He has a 40 inch vertical jump and as scouts said can high-point the ball. He is also great after the catch. I see this a another potential TT home run WR pick. IMO he contributes at some capacity immediately.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Adams is going to play in one dedicated spot. If you look at recent Packers offensive teams they line receivers up all over the place. They all kind of play universally. Each receiver knows every receiver position of the field. That is one of the things that makes it so unique. I am very excited to see Devante Adams as part of the receiver corp. He is very athletic and I believe fast enough. He creates seperation out of cuts. He has a 40 inch vertical jump and as scouts said can high-point the ball. He is also great after the catch. I see this a another potential TT home run WR pick. IMO he contributes at some capacity immediately.

I think Abby will to. Could mean the end of Cobb it Nelson tho...probably Cobb unfortunately.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think Abby will to. Could mean the end of Cobb it Nelson tho...probably Cobb unfortunately.

I could see Abby returning punts. Well see on Cobb and Nelson. They have the cap room to extend both of them. With bringing all these receivers in it might make the negotiating table easier for TT.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Abby returning punts. Well see on Cobb and Nelson. They have the cap room to extend both of them. With bringing all these receivers in it might make the negotiating table easier for TT.

Won't be any easier if they make it to free agency. Then it'll be harder. Why would they resign with us if they could be on a WR needy team willing to give them sole stardom and a bigger paycheck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I think if they had to choose they'd keep Cobb. Actually, I think if they have to choose, Rodgers will get 90% of the say

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Won't be any easier if they make it to free agency. Then it'll be harder. Why would they resign with us if they could be on a WR needy team willing to give them sole stardom and a bigger paycheck?

Ummm. Let me think. Maybe because they like playing for a winner in Green Bay and catching balls from the best quarterback in the league. Just ask Greg Jennings how it worked out. I could see them playing for a little less to stay in Green Bay. I don't see how they don't keep at least one of the two. I would think Cobb. If a guy takes a little more money over winning you don't want him anyways. Let him go into obscurity in a place like Jacsonville.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
adams is going to make a living on back shoulder throws and quick throws that he can use his running strength.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
adams is going to make a living on back shoulder throws and quick throws that he can use his running strength.

Everyone is comparing him to JJ. I think this guy is exactly what Boykin is trying to transform into.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My question again is where is he going to play? Doesn't seem fast enough to play in the slot. Kinda small to be on the outside but he can get up and has some nice hands. I think he would've been there in the 3rd as I thought there were better Wrs.

Small? LOL

He is 6'2 216

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small? LOL

He is 6'2 216

Well that's how big I am and I don't consider myself small by any means. I thought I read somewhere that the guy was under six foot? 5"10? Well in that case the comment made about him being Our new James Jones does make sense...but with better ball skills, If the guy is really that big with a 40 inch vertical he better be in the game everytime we reach the red zone . Saw his highlight reel and he's got some hands. If he's able to be a factor il be the 1st person to give TT props.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well that's how big I am and I don't consider myself small by any means. I thought I read somewhere that the guy was under six foot? 5"10? Well in that case the comment made about him being Our new James Jones does make sense...but with better ball skills, If the guy is really that big with a 40 inch vertical he better be in the game everytime we teach the red zone .

Here are his combine numbers, He out jumps J.J by about 6 inches and thats when Jones was younger.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/davante-adams?id=2543495

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easy to make a favorable comparison with a guy in the Brick Hands Hall of Fame. How about all the other guys with speed and hands?

Here's a list of some guys who didn't run a 40 any faster than Adams:

Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Anquan Boldin
Michael Irvin
James Jones
Art Monk
Eric Decker
Julian Edelman
Dez Bryant
Hines Ward

and of course... JERRY RICE.

So I fail to see why his 40 yard dash should cause any concern on the football field.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Anquan Boldin
Michael Irvin
James Jones
Art Monk
Eric Decker
Julian Edelman
Dez Bryant
Hines Ward

So I fail to see why his 40 yard dash should cause any concern on the football field.

And Rice was known as a speedster too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny because I've seen several comments that compared him to Dez Bryant from some other football Msg boards. Dez Bryant IMO is the best wr in the NFL when it comes to tracking the ball in the air and that includes Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Also Bryant has football sped which makes up for his 40 because he can be explosive once he has the ball. If he's anything like Drz the football player this offense will score tons of points. The more research I do the more I like him and that's saying something.

H

HardRightEdge

Larry Fitzgerald
Cris Carter
Anquan Boldin
Michael Irvin
James Jones
Art Monk
Eric Decker
Julian Edelman
Dez Bryant
Hines Ward

I see Adams' upside as a slightly slower Roddy White. I guess you guys didn't notice I liked this pick. But breakaway speed is not his thing, nor is it a necessity if other pieces are in place.

I observed that with Boykin and Adams our receiving corp is getting slower; I don't see how that can be refuted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts