1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

D-Day celebrations

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by buggybill2003, Jun 6, 2014.

1. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    Very emotional indeed. Thank you to our American allies from us. It has been quite choking seeing the old veterans who made it back. Gratitude to those who didn`t. R.I.P.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    I've been to the Normandy and Omaha Beach several times. Visiting the cemeteries, doesnt matter if its an allied cemetry or a German, is very moving. Hope something like this wont happen again.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    Me too Nessie, and the German WW1 cemetries. The loss of ANY young life is a shame. A reporter said today that over 8000 German soldiers were killed on D-Day, many merely kids thrown in by a mad man. Not all Germans were Nazis, just soldiers fighting for thier country. I go to Belgium next week to visit the WW1 cemetries and battlefields. Its a shame that individuals get killed because of the actions of pompous officials (both sides).
  4. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 49 / -33
    Right back at the Brits who stood up to Hitler’s aggression early in the war. Unfortunately too many Americans don’t know WWII began in September of 1939, more than two years before the US entered the war. The Battle of Britain, which began over a year before Pearl Harbor, included the brutal bombardment of London. It’s easy to look back knowing the outcome, but at the time victory over Hitler and the Axis powers was anything but certain. Churchill’s brilliant and inspirational oratory played a big part in keeping the Brits’ spirits up in the war’s darkest hours. (BTW, we’ll take partial credit for Churchill since his mother was American.:D)

BTW, agreed about pompous officials on both sides causing wars, with WWII being the exception. That was started by leaders of the Axis powers, particularly Hitler of course. For example, Neville Chamberlain could hardly have been more accommodating. :(
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    Where in Belgium are you going to visit WW1 cemetries ? Ypern ? Have you been to Verdun in France too ?
    My grandfather fought in WW2 and didnt talk about it until he was in his 60's and I was a young man and asked him a lot of questions about it.
    As you said, the loss of all the young lifes is a shame and those who survived could barely handle the experience they made at war.
  6. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    Yepp, the appeasement politics of Chamberlain was one of the main reasons why a criminal like Hitler could unleash WW2.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    Staying in Ypres Nessie. I have never been as far as Verdun yet, but hope to next year. My dad was too young to be involved in the war, but did his national service clearing Uxbs in Germany in the early 50s. He said he once drove through Dresden on his way home on leave, and drove 16 miles where not one building stood. As a Brit I understand Chamberlains lack of balls contributed greatly, France wanting more than thier pound of flesh after WW1 definately made it worse.
  8. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    For me one of the sad ironies of WW2 was that Britain went to war to defend Polish freedom, however by the end of it they in effect handed over Poland to the Soviets. A really appaling thing to do when so many Polish Airmen and troops fought so bravely against the Nazi's. I hate politics and politicians.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    My dad has been in Verdun last year and was deeply impressed Bill. He says its worth a visit.
    The bombing of Dresden was a crime, I read a lot about it, shocking. But of course we dont have to talk about who has started this kind of war.
  10. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    The history of Poland is a tragedy. For centuries under the influence of another country. But my grandfather never forgave them that he was expelled from Silesia and lost his daughter, the older sister of my father, on the long trip out of Silesia.
    Another example why war is nothing but senseless.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    Yeah thats the horror of the thing nessie, ''They sowed the wind now they will reap the whirlwind'' that quote is from Bomber Harris the Bomber command chief. In other words we will be even worse than them. Read somewhere Hamburg was hit hard aswell, but apparently alot of people there did not really like Hitler anyway. Yep senseless
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    You can understand that really sad, i had to look up on Silesia im guessing it was part of Germany and then it became part of Poland.
  13. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    Exactly PF71. It never belonged to Poland before. The same with East Prussia. Later, before he died and after the wall came down, he was able to visit the house where he was born and lived before he was expelled.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    I got back from my trip to the WW1 cemeteries and battlefields to find my home was broken into while I was away. The worst part was my wife was in the house at the time. Thankfully she stayed upstairs when she heard the noise and they ran off when they knew somebody was in there. Scumbags !
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  15. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    On the plus side, the beer in Belgium was superb ! :laugh:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  16. mhnessie

mhnessie Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +537 / 4 / -0
    Sorry to hear that Bill.:(
    But most important is that nothing happened to your wife.
    Burglaries have become a major problem in Germany as well. I recently upgraded all doors and windows in my house with new locks.
  17. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59 / 4 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Berlin much the same. More than 50% of Berliners were not supportive of Hitler. He came to power from his overwhelming political dominance inMunich/Bavaria. The only place that mass targeting of German civilians can be strategically rationalized IMO is the Ruhr valley and places like Regensburg where German armaments industries were so prevalent. Much of the German population was responsible for allowing the war machine to flourish.
  18. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59 / 4 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    No doubt about it. I recently read where Germany made their last payment on WW1 reparations in 2006. It's very important to be fair in your post war agreements. You have to leave the conquered with a sense of hope for the future.
  19. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    I know the Allied bombers would sometimes go for even the small German towns with wooden buildings that had no strategic purpose and fire bomb them, just because they were there. Sometimes i wonder who the good guys really were.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    I think that may be stretching diplomacy just a tiny bit mate. I think we can all agree it was an unfortunate period of European and World history that thankfully and hopefully will never happen again. I`ve said silent prayers this weekend at French, Belgian, British AND German cemeteries. We didn`t get to any American cemeteries or I would have done so there too.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    Diplomatic or otherwize Bill i says it as i see it and thats what i know. The human condition is what it is, and conflict is sometimes needed because of that. I'm just grateful i havent experienced it because of the sacrifice of others in my lifetime.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,203 / 18 / -7
    We`re agreed on that one. I meant no offence, just saying it as I see it too mate, but sadly Germany was the aggressor in both conflicts. I bear no malice or issue with any of our German friends here or anywhere else, I just hope the world in general remembers and never repeats it ;). The sheer number of all those names in the small area I visited in only a weekend showed the futility of war full stop.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59 / 4 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Well, the Soviets suffered tremendous losses as well. They were actually more heavily invested in the war in Europe than America was and at probably just as much or more than the British. The Yalta conference allowed for free Eastern European countries and Stalin was breaking the spirit of that accord as early as a month after the signing. Churchill realized as early as March of 45 what Stalin was doing but America and Britain were in no position to go to war with the Soviets.
  24. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +59 / 4 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    The post war situation would have been far different if Hitler wouldn't have insisted on fighting the western front so aggressively in 44-45. The western allies would have been able to capture Czechoslovakia, Hungary, yugoslavia, and all of Germany possibly parts of Poland had Hitler concentrated a greater bulk of forces on the eastern front. Just my opinion though. It also was a problem that Roosevelt was in very poor health for the last 9 months of the war in Europe. Churchill goes down in my book as the greatest leader of the 20th century. Americans owe him a great debt of gratitude.
  25. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 19/05/12

Ratings:
    +705 / 1 / -1
    There is no denying that they did, the Poles lost their freedom to the Soviet Bloc and Stalin. Defending Polish freedon was the basis of the UK going to war with the Nazi's. Britains reason for going to war was abandoned, i have no rose tinted glasses for leaders how do you know their lying? his/her mouth is moving.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1