Cuts?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow just updated/refreshed it and Muir and Borel gone now....just Boykin as the last WR possibly out it seems or he's our lucky #6.

H

HardRightEdge

No big surprises so far...up through the Muir cuts. I think there's 4 more to go, or 5 if they decide to go with 52 + Walden.

Some of these guys will go to PS. Maybe Gurleymania can be put to rest. Boykin moved to the top of the list for #6 WR, but I still think there's a good chance we'll go with 5.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if we go with 5 only because I still feel we're possibly waiting to see how desperate a team would be to pluck Jones from us. If he stays I'm happy with it because let's be honest 1-6 or 1-5 no team is as loaded as we are. Shoot we had 7 guys this preseason that would make nearly every team in the league.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I'm a little surpried that they cut Muir, I thought he looked good most of the preseaon. Maybe the 247 rushing yrd. by KC played a role in this.

2. Without R. Wells, Datko and Sherrod on PUP I'm curious whos gonna be the Backup at LT.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I'm a little surpried that they cut Muir, I thought he looked good most of the preseaon. Maybe the 247 rushing yrd. by KC played a role in this.

2. Without R. Wells, Datko and Sherrod on PUP I'm curious whos gonna be the Backup at LT.

#2 is something on my mind as well...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Tori Gurley era is over before it started.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
:cautious: Had to cut him for room to go get Deion Branch or some other castoff has-been. As we all know, over-the-hill "names" from other teams are better than our rising no-names if only TT would open his eyes and wallet to go get them.:giggle:I hope people see satire where it is intended

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that these cuts become official at a specific time this evening. Until then, we can still change our minds. My thinking here is that some team may have been waiting for Jones, when he wasn't in the list of cuts, they contact TT and swing a deal for a 5th round pick. TT trades him and un-cuts Gurly.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers will probably move Lang to LT and put EDS ad OG if the need arises.

That's the best explanation...with perhaps Barkley at OG. I can't say I'd want to see Lang at LT, ever. Maybe a trade is in the works; maybe they'll go to the waiver wire when cut downs are final. Unless I'm missing somebody, this takes us down to 7 OL + Sherrod. That does not make much sense.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding is that these cuts become official at a specific time this evening. Until then, we can still change our minds. My thinking here is that some team may have been waiting for Jones, when he wasn't in the list of cuts, they contact TT and swing a deal for a 5th round pick. TT trades him and un-cuts Gurly.
Really? James Jones for a 5th round pick? Gurley had every chance to make the team this year and he didn't. It was fun to picturing him blocking and important punt or something but it's not like we NEED him in the red zone. They went with Boykin who is the better guy right now. If they move JJ it won't be for anything less than a third. It's not like the guy is some huge bust or something.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? James Jones for a 5th round pick? Gurley had every chance to make the team this year and he didn't. It was fun to picturing him blocking and important punt or something but it's not like we NEED him in the red zone. They went with Boykin who is the better guy right now. If they move JJ it won't be for anything less than a third. It's not like the guy is some huge bust or something.
So the equation is Gurly + 5th vrs JJ. I don't think there is a big drop off from JJ to Gurly. Gurly is less expensive. Gurly has a higher ceiling. We can still put Finley, Jennings, Jordy, Driver and Cobb on the field, and we wouldn't miss JJ.

H

HardRightEdge

So the equation is Gurly + 5th vrs JJ. I don't think there is a big drop off from JJ to Gurly. Gurly is less expensive. Gurly has a higher ceiling. We can still put Finley, Jennings, Jordy, Driver and Cobb on the field, and we wouldn't miss JJ.

Somebody would want to pay JJ $6 mil over the next 2 seasons. Everybody had the chance to do that last year, with no compensation at all, and everybody passed. I don't think JJ's play last season would have changed that picture much.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams arent going trade for James Jones. Too many deals are out there for players as good or close to his level for much cheaper in salary and available on waivers. Packer fans complain about jones all the time but someone think he is great trade bait and people would pay for him. The projected jones drew trade left me scratching my head. Seems like just yesterday fans were saying the same sort of deals about Hawk.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're totally different players. Gurley is a situational guy and JJ can get downfield. If Nelson or Jennings are out for a game or two, I'd be much happier with Jones out there than Gurley. Actually, given how he's played this year so far, I guess I'd rather than Boykin too. The guy just gets open.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only guy who thinks the Pack should keep Jones and Gurley and let Driver go? Cobb needs to play the slot more often. He needs his playing time increased. Driver keeps Cobb off of the field. Gurley and Jones are both younger than Driver.

I love Driver as a player and a person, but the young players need their shot.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only guy who thinks the Pack should keep Jones and Gurley and let Driver go? Cobb needs to play the slot more often. He needs his playing time increased. Driver keeps Cobb off of the field. Gurley and Jones are both younger than Driver.

No I agree with you so does, 7thfloorRA and 13 times champs might but I could be wrong on the last one.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with you. I don't think Driver is going to stand in Cobb's way this year though. Great guy and great career but his best days are behind him and he is now preventing other talent from seeing the field.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody would want to pay JJ $6 mil over the next 2 seasons. Everybody had the chance to do that last year, with no compensation at all, and everybody passed. I don't think JJ's play last season would have changed that picture much.
Einstein thinks he's worth a 3rd. I would be surprised if my scenario happens, just mentioned because of the rumor yesterday that Miami was interested in trading. I think JJ is worth more to us than he would be to other teams. Because they are different players I don't see as having any impact on the matter.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. I don't think Driver is going to stand in Cobb's way this year though. Great guy and great career but his best days are behind him and he is now preventing other talent from seeing the field.

I hope you're right... Cobb has too much talent to ride the bench

H

HardRightEdge

Einstein thinks he's worth a 3rd. I would be surprised if my scenario happens, just mentioned because of the rumor yesterday that Miami was interested in trading. I think JJ is worth more to us than he would be to other teams. Because they are different players I don't see as having any impact on the matter.

Yeah, a 3rd. is too high for a team assuming that contract, though I don't see the need for name calling.

How about JJ and Hawk for Jake Long. :confused: OK, OK...we'll throw in Bush.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I totally agree. That's why I was so surprised to see the contract they gave him which would have made it crazy stupid to cut him no matter how he looked in camp. Still, we're spending so much time talking about their strongest position. What about Dline? Cutting Muir seems weird. The guy did everything they wanted him to but better than they'd expected.

H

HardRightEdge

That was my position before they renegotiated his contract. Once that was done, the door was closed, provided Driver didn't stink up camp and preseason, which he didn't. I would have preferred they parted ways in the off season.

You don't make one of the faces of the franchise take a big pay cut, have him come into camp and do exactly what was expected, and then cut him. That's just bad form.

He's due a $1.1 mil initial roster bonus...it looks like that check will be written.

Driver's dropped quite a few balls the last couple of years, and he does not get down for low balls anymore. And personally, I believe if you're going to be a team leader, you don't skip OTAs to take a second job dancing for a paycheck.

Nonetheless, sometimes a decision is made and you just need to live with it, otherwise you look like an indecisive jerk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts