Cutler puts on a show in Chicago

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
If the city of Chicago wasn't excited about the Jay Cutler era already, Saturday's preseason performance against the Giants should do the trick.One week after struggling in his Bears debut, Cutler led Chicago to scores on their first three drives. ...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were some very good catches in that game...Aromashodu was a surprise for everyone. Matt Forté is a great player.

Cutler was constantly pressured against the Bills but he seemed cooler against the Giants.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought he looked pretty good.

I'd rather have him than Rodgers on the Pack.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester blew an easy TD pass.
He was 10 yards behind the defense and did not make the play.
Cutler threw it a good 60 yards in the air while on the run and it was perfect but he pulled up for just a second and that was all it took.

Come on man.
This is what you do. Out run everyone else and catch the damn ball.
Maybe he was too used to Orton under throwing him all the time.
You have to make that catch and if you can't do that then you have no business playing WR.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hester blew an easy TD pass.
He was 10 yards behind the defense and did not make the play.
Cutler threw it a good 60 yards in the air while on the run and it was perfect but he pulled up for just a second and that was all it took.

Come on man.
This is what you do. Out run everyone else and catch the damn ball.
Maybe he was too used to Orton under throwing him all the time.
You have to make that catch and if you can't do that then you have no business playing WR.
You know that I've allways said that Cutler is a great qb and that the trade was good for the bears. Not as good as some of you think, but good.
But he isn't better than Rodgers. Just look at the performances of both. When Cutler has a great game, Rodgers has a nearly perfect one. Here's a line you'll like: If the circunstances where opposite (Cutler 2 years with the packers, Rodgers starting for the Bears), thing could be different. I'm not as bold to say that talent-wise Rodgers is better than Cutler. At least not for a considerable margin. HOWEVER in terms of the intangibles (leadership, team chemistry, and so on...), I, and most, believe Rodgers is a step above. Funny thing is that Rodgers was considered a problem comming out of college. Wonder how he learned to keep his mouth shut and play.
-
And let's be honest here. Did you really think that Hester could be a Wr? There's a reason he was a Cb at college... His hands aren't that terrible, but his route running and his perception of the field are.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know that I've allways said that Cutler is a great qb and that the trade was good for the bears. Not as good as some of you think, but good.
But he isn't better than Rodgers. Just look at the performances of both. When Cutler has a great game, Rodgers has a nearly perfect one. Here's a line you'll like: If the circunstances where opposite (Cutler 2 years with the packers, Rodgers starting for the Bears), thing could be different. I'm not as bold to say that talent-wise Rodgers is better than Cutler. At least not for a considerable margin. HOWEVER in terms of the intangibles (leadership, team chemistry, and so on...), I, and most, believe Rodgers is a step above. Funny thing is that Rodgers was considered a problem comming out of college. Wonder how he learned to keep his mouth shut and play.
-
And let's be honest here. Did you really think that Hester could be a Wr? There's a reason he was a Cb at college... His hands aren't that terrible, but his route running and his perception of the field are.

We went over all of these stats some time ago so I am not going to bother with them again.
Their numbers from last year were very similar except that Cutler threw for more yards, more yards per game and gets sacked a lot less than Rodgers does.
You pick out the stats that you like and gloss over the ones that do not support your argument.
An argument that you seem to be having alone for some reason.
Who was even comparing the two anyway?
You must feel threatened by the Bears not having Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton as their QB.
It was Packer fans that *****ed about Rodgers not being able to win games late so who are to trying to sell his great leadership skills or him having a "perfect" game to?
If he is the second coming of John Elway then why the obsession over your former QB?

You claimed that there were questions about Rodgers being a problem when he came out of college but because he says nothing for his one season as a starter and now you know all about him?
I am sure that he was told by the Packers management to keep his mouth shut so he would not to alienate himself from the fans any more than he already was just because he was not Brett Favre.
That was probably after he told the Packers fans to shut the hell up.

Is throwing for 4,000 yards and finishing 6-10 your standard for a great QB?
You won’t bring up Cutler’s record as a starter because it is better than Rodgers’.
Pick your spots and ignore the rest.
You already created one egomaniac QB monster with your over the top hero-worship and for all you know Rodgers could end be being the next Jon Kitna.
You really don’t know yet and you really can’t say that he is not injury prone either. He has shown signs of being fragile so far in his limited amount of NFL snaps.
He has not played enough to answer those questions yet.

There was never any talk about Cutler being a bad teammate in Denver until he was traded and none of that talk has come from his former teammates.
It is the Broncos little smear campaign designed to talk the fans into accepting their new coach and the sad reality that they have gone from Jay Cutler as their QB to Kyle Orton.
I have not bashed Aaron Rodgers.
I said that he handled the stupid circus that was crated in Green Bay last year a lot better than Favre, the Packers front office and the Packer fans did.
You like having Rodgers as your QB?
Good.
The fans here like having Jay Cutler as their QB so why does it bother Packer fans so much?

By the way... I do not want Hester as a WR.
I want him returning kicks where he was a game breaker and a difference maker.
When he was not scoring TDs he was giving the Bears great field position and that was far more important then the chance of him catching a TD once in a while.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We went over all of these stats some time ago so I am not going to bother with them again.
Their numbers from last year were very similar except that Cutler threw for more yards, more yards per game and gets sacked a lot less than Rodgers does.
You pick out the stats that you like and gloss over the ones that do not support your argument.
You must feel threatened by the Bears not having Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton as their QB.
It was Packer fans that *****ed about Rodgers not being able to win games late so who are to trying to sell his great leadership skills or him having a "perfect" game to?
If he is the second coming of John Elway then why the obsession over your former QB?

You claimed that there were questions about Rodgers being a problem when he came out of college but because he says nothing for his one season as a starter and now you know all about him?
I am sure that he was told by the Packers management to keep his mouth shut so he would not to alienate himself from the fans any more than he already was just because he was not Brett Favre.

You won’t bring up Cutler’s record as a starter because it is better than Rodgers’.
You already created one egomaniac QB monster with your over the top hero-worship and for all you know Rodgers could end be being the next Jon Kitna.
You really don’t know yet and you really can’t say that he is not injury prone either. He has shown signs of being fragile so far in his limited amount of NFL snaps.

There was never any talk about Cutler being a bad teammate in Denver until he was traded and none of that talk has come from his former teammates.
It is the Broncos little smear campaign designed to talk the fans into accepting their new coach and the sad reality that they have gone from Jay Cutler as their QB to Kyle Orton.
I said that he handled the stupid circus that was crated in Green Bay last year a lot better than Favre, the Packers front office and the Packer fans did.
Good.
The fans here like having Jay Cutler as their QB so why does it bother Packer fans so much?

When he was not scoring TDs he was giving the Bears great field position and that was far more important then the chance of him catching a TD once in a while.
First off, when did I say you bashed Rodgers? And most important, WHEN DID I BASH CUTLER? I've only said that he handled things poorly in Denver, and that his statements as a Bear were very unfortunate, which is all true, and portraited the same attitude that Favre had adquired (or had all along and hid pretty well, at least from me), and that's interesting that he didn't have that personality in Denver, and that's also a coincidence that he has the same agent that Favre has. I've also said he was right at wanting to be traded, but that you omit...

Talking about omiting, you say I omit the stats that don't favor me. What made you think that? When did I ever brought up stats in the first place? I know he threw for more yards, more yards per game and less sacks. I know he has a better winning record than Rodgers. Everybody knows, that's not a secret. But talking about stats, it's also not a secret that he was in his 3rd season with the team, having played for 2 seasons and a half as a starter. Always having the same line. Always having most of the same receivers (only Royal wasn't with them in 07). And even then, he never had a better Qb rating than Arod. He also has a losing record (better losing record? give me a break). And in his first season, he played worse than Rodgers. In his second season, with a way better OL, he played close to Rodgers. Let's remember: Rodgers had NEVER started an NFL game.

You say I must be scared. Yet you're the one trying to contradict my comments. I didn't have that intention, but somehow you felt that way. You're a pretty odd guy. Sometimes you can have a very pleasant and rational discussion, sometimes you just take the defensive and start bashing...

You are taking my comments as if they were a way to diminish the Bears, which they are not. At least that's not my intention. The impression that you're passing me is that you're hearing some packer fans smacking the Bears and Cutler, and respond to any packer comment like he's doing the same.
-
And about fearing the Bears with Cutler as a qb, they are improved. But I've discussed with you some points that I think don't make the Bears contenders. And unless they improve in those positions, I won't fear the Bears. They need better production from the wrs, they need better production from that DL, and they need to prove they can shut down a passing game. I saw both Bears games (to some extent, I agree). I did not see anything to fear. The completion rate for the opposite qb was alarming, and playing against us that way won't be easy for you. Right now, I'd say it's a win at Lambeau and a close game at Soldier Field.
Oh, and I fear Hester as a kick returner. That much I give you. The kid's amazing. But luckily your coach thinks he can be a wideout.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, when did I say you bashed Rodgers? And most important, WHEN DID I BASH CUTLER? I've only said that he handled things poorly in Denver, and that his statements as a Bear were very unfortunate, which is all true, and portraited the same attitude that Favre had adquired (or had all along and hid pretty well, at least from me), and that's interesting that he didn't have that personality in Denver, and that's also a coincidence that he has the same agent that Favre has. I've also said he was right at wanting to be traded, but that you omit...

Talking about omiting, you say I omit the stats that don't favor me. What made you think that? When did I ever brought up stats in the first place? I know he threw for more yards, more yards per game and less sacks. I know he has a better winning record than Rodgers. Everybody knows, that's not a secret. But talking about stats, it's also not a secret that he was in his 3rd season with the team, having played for 2 seasons and a half as a starter. Always having the same line. Always having most of the same receivers (only Royal wasn't with them in 07). And even then, he never had a better Qb rating than Arod. He also has a losing record (better losing record? give me a break). And in his first season, he played worse than Rodgers. In his second season, with a way better OL, he played close to Rodgers. Let's remember: Rodgers had NEVER started an NFL game.

You say I must be scared. Yet you're the one trying to contradict my comments. I didn't have that intention, but somehow you felt that way. You're a pretty odd guy. Sometimes you can have a very pleasant and rational discussion, sometimes you just take the defensive and start bashing...

You are taking my comments as if they were a way to diminish the Bears, which they are not. At least that's not my intention. The impression that you're passing me is that you're hearing some packer fans smacking the Bears and Cutler, and respond to any packer comment like he's doing the same.
-
And about fearing the Bears with Cutler as a qb, they are improved. But I've discussed with you some points that I think don't make the Bears contenders. And unless they improve in those positions, I won't fear the Bears. They need better production from the wrs, they need better production from that DL, and they need to prove they can shut down a passing game. I saw both Bears games (to some extent, I agree). I did not see anything to fear. The completion rate for the opposite qb was alarming, and playing against us that way won't be easy for you. Right now, I'd say it's a win at Lambeau and a close game at Soldier Field.
Oh, and I fear Hester as a kick returner. That much I give you. The kid's amazing. But luckily your coach thinks he can be a wideout.

You see.. I have a bad habit of saying "you" on this site because I was so used to battling several people at once all the time.
I did not bother to debate every single post individually so I would lump several of them together and respond to them like that.
By you I mean Packer fans in general and that is my fault for not correcting that or making it clear.
Old habits die hard sometimes.

I do rip the Bears on a regular basis and I don't play the homer role.
Yeah, I have pointed out the opposing QBs completion rate on sites here in Chicago.
I believe that it is a result of Lovie's system and not just the injuries to the CBs.

I hate the cover-2 and Lovie is the most stubborn coach that I have even seen.
He will not admit when something is not working and he believes that everything is written in stone and that is why I doubt that Hester will be moved back where he belongs.
The only person who could stop this guy on kick returns was Lovie Smith.
Dumb.
I also believe that they should have picked up at least one free agent WR during the off season like Antonio Bryant, Matt Jones or Joey Galloway and two would have been even better.
That is Jerry Angelo’s screw up and I have ripped him for years.
I only cut him some slack after he shocked everyone by trading for Cutler but that will not last forever.
I don’t gloss over the Bears problems and I don’t put players up on a pedestal either.
Payton, Butkus, Sayers, Singletary…. Yeah they are on a different level.
I do rip into Urlacher and as good has he has been I do not put him up there with those players.
Ever time I hear someone call Jim McMahon a great QB I just laugh.
He was not a great QB or even close to one.
Mike Ditka blew a 2nd straight Super Bowl title by playing Doug Fluttie in the playoffs against the Redskins and I ripped the hell out of that stupid move.
He wanted to get cute and come up with another William Perry type of gimmick and it cost them. They were by far the best team in football that year and they went one and done. It was a huge choke.
Any time a Bears fans even starts to talk about brining Ditka back I rip them a new one.
I came here the night the Bears lost the Super Bowl to the Colts and took my lumps and I did not sugar coat anything or make excuses.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You see.. I have a bad habit of saying "you" on this site because I was so used to battling several people at once all the time.
I did not bother to debate every single post individually so I would lump several of them together and respond to them like that.
By you I mean Packer fans in general and that is my fault for not correcting that or making it clear.
Old habits die hard sometimes.

I do rip the Bears on a regular basis and I don't play the homer role.
Yeah, I have pointed out the opposing QBs completion rate on sites here in Chicago.
I believe that it is a result of Lovie's system and not just the injuries to the CBs.

I hate the cover-2 and Lovie is the most stubborn coach that I have even seen.
He will not admit when something is not working and he believes that everything is written in stone and that is why I doubt that Hester will be moved back where he belongs.
The only person who could stop this guy on kick returns was Lovie Smith.
Dumb.
I also believe that they should have picked up at least one free agent WR during the off season like Antonio Bryant, Matt Jones or Joey Galloway and two would have been even better.
That is Jerry Angelo’s screw up and I have ripped him for years.
I only cut him some slack after he shocked everyone by trading for Cutler but that will not last forever.
I don’t gloss over the Bears problems and I don’t put players up on a pedestal either.
Payton, Butkus, Sayers, Singletary…. Yeah they are on a different level.
I do rip into Urlacher and as good has he has been I do not put him up there with those players.
Ever time I hear someone call Jim McMahon a great QB I just laugh.
He was not a great QB or even close to one.
Mike Ditka blew a 2nd straight Super Bowl title by playing Doug Fluttie in the playoffs against the Redskins and I ripped the hell out of that stupid move.
He wanted to get cute and come up with another William Perry type of gimmick and it cost them. They were by far the best team in football that year and they went one and done. It was a huge choke.
Any time a Bears fans even starts to talk about brining Ditka back I rip them a new one.
I came here the night the Bears lost the Super Bowl to the Colts and took my lumps and I did not sugar coat anything or make excuses.
Okay. That clarifies a lot. Thought you had Bipolar Syndrome or something. LOL.
I've never taken you for a homer btw. I am one, however. I try to be rational, and utilize stats, and view things from a more broad perspective, but in the end the green and gold speaks louder... I didn't see that 85 bears team, as I was just 6, but I try to learn a thing or two about the past of the league and it's players. The thing I remember about Ditka the most is the (in)famous Ricky Williams trade. It always puts things in perspective when I look at Harrell and other packers busts that I'd rather not mention.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. That clarifies a lot. Thought you had Bipolar Syndrome or something. LOL.
I've never taken you for a homer btw. I am one, however. I try to be rational, and utilize stats, and view things from a more broad perspective, but in the end the green and gold speaks louder... I didn't see that 85 bears team, as I was just 6, but I try to learn a thing or two about the past of the league and it's players. The thing I remember about Ditka the most is the (in)famous Ricky Williams trade. It always puts things in perspective when I look at Harrell and other packers busts that I'd rather not mention.

Ditka blew that game.
The 1986 defense was even better than the 85 team and they went 14-2.
There is no way that they should not have gone to and won the Super Bowl again yet they did not do it.
It was one of the biggest NFL chokes of all time and Ditka played a huge role in that.

He became a cartoon character of himself after that and it was time for him to go. He had lost it and he lost the team and that was that.
Speaking of draft picks.... I have blown gaskets on the Internet over some of the Bears picks and that is why I had no problem with them giving up two first rounders for Cutler.
I don't even count Orton as part of the trade.
He was a decent back up who's contract was going to expire after this season and it was no big deal letting him go.
Just a throw in.
Caleb Hanie has shown more raw talent and understanding of the game than Orton ever did.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Cutler is a good QB for Chicago. But, I wouldn't trade Rogers for him. Cutler seems higher strung and can be grumpy. Type 1 Diabetes is devastating on the body and moods. I wonder about his long term durability/stamina with it. Granted, he probably has much higher paid doctors, personal trainers and nutritionists working with him than most people with Type 1. I doubt he'll have as long a career as Rogers (assuming no devastating injuries) due to the diabetes.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good.

that being said ... that was Rodgers 1st year as a starter ... i dont believe we have seen all this kid has to offer ... once he settles in he may be a beast ... this year i expect to see him throw more and also deeper down the field ...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that being said ... that was Rodgers 1st year as a starter ... i dont believe we have seen all this kid has to offer ... once he settles in he may be a beast ... this year i expect to see him throw more and also deeper down the field ...

For all we know both of these guys could have already peaked or they both may go on to bigger and better things.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not sure about that ... i think we have to see what this year says about Rodgers ... i believe this year MM will allow Rodgers a little lee way out there ... also the fact that Rodgers now has had some time with his WRs .. im thinking he may be a better Qb than we thought ... i was his biggest critic when he took over ,, however he has won me over ... IMO Rodgers is a pritty good QB ... he makes few mistakes out there ... if anything i say give the kid one more season ... after that we can really see what this kid brings to the table ... i just wanna see him open up a bit and sent that ball deeper down the field ,, his arm seems good ... we will see ...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not sure about that ... i think we have to see what this year says about Rodgers ... i believe this year MM will allow Rodgers a little lee way out there ... also the fact that Rodgers now has had some time with his WRs .. im thinking he may be a better Qb than we thought ... i was his biggest critic when he took over ,, however he has won me over ... IMO Rodgers is a pritty good QB ... he makes few mistakes out there ... if anything i say give the kid one more season ... after that we can really see what this kid brings to the table ... i just wanna see him open up a bit and sent that ball deeper down the field ,, his arm seems good ... we will see ...

And that is what I am saying.
We really don't know yet.
A lot of people thought that Cullpepper was going to be a good QB for years and he was just a flash in the pan.
Same goes for Leftwhich and Mark Anderson.

You have to have more than one year under your belt to be anointed as a star.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that is what I am saying.
We really don't know yet.
A lot of people thought that Cullpepper was going to be a good QB for years and he was just a flash in the pan.
Same goes for Leftwhich and Mark Anderson.

You have to have more than one year under your belt to be anointed as a star.
Culpepper was a very good qb when he had knees.
-
Rodgers had possibly the best 1st season as a starter a qb has ever had. 2nd in rating, only behind Roethlisberger, but much more passing yards (aprox. 2500 to 4000), TDs (17 to 28), and much more attempts (300 to 500) . And he also had 4 rushing TDs. That's why people PROJECT him as this year's start. But as you said, PROJECT.

Members online