Cut block creates plenty of hard feelings

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets' Ellis confronts Packers' Moll
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 3, 2006

Green Bay - It took until Game 12 for the Green Bay Packers' cut-blocking technique to really tick someone off.

For years, the Denver Broncos, who run the same zone running scheme, have been called dirty and unscrupulous because of their use of cut blocks against defensive linemen. But up until Sunday at Lambeau Field, the Packers hadn't received many complaints.

That changed when New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis became furious with Packers right tackle Tony Moll for a number of low blocks, including one that temporarily sidelined him in the third quarter. Ellis was so angry he sought out Moll after the game and was seen yelling at him as Moll headed for the tunnel to the Packers' locker room.

Ellis had to be held back by a Jets official from getting to Moll.

"You know, I'm not sure what it was," Moll said. "Obviously, he was heated about something. I'm not sure. It's pretty sad he had to go to that level."

Ellis was so angry about repeated cut blocks, Moll said, that he took a shot at the back of the right tackle's knees after quarterback Brett Favre threw an interception late in the fourth quarter.

"I know he was definitely getting frustrated with me cutting him," Moll said. "Obviously, it was too much for him to handle for him to cheap-shot me.

"After Brett's last interception, after Vernand (Morency) tackled him, I was almost at the sideline waiting. He came from behind and cut me from behind."

After the game, Ellis wasn't asked whether he took a shot at Moll on the interception return, but he did say he thought Moll carried his cut-blocking assignments too far. He said he was getting hit in the back of the knees during the game.

"It's very frustrating," Ellis said. "I understand the cutting in the game of play, but when you get past a guy, then he's cutting you from behind that's taking it a little bit to the extreme. I'm not saying (he) was a dirty player."

But when asked if it was a dirty play, he said, "Yeah."

Ellis admitted that he was upset about it all game.

"I was, but I'm getting over it," he said.

Ellis' anger boiled over in the third quarter, when Moll cut him on a passing play and appeared to hit him below the belt. Ellis was down on the ground for a while and on the way back to the bench could be seen yelling at the Packers' huddle as Favre and receiver Greg Jennings looked over to see what the commotion was.

"Mine was clean," Moll said. "It was right in front of him; it was a designed cut play for the tackles. He jumped up in the air and so I punched - we're taught to punch and cut - I punched him and went for the cut and he jumped in the air and it's unfortunate. I think I hit him in the (groin).

"But it wasn't deliberate or anything like that. I was just doing my assignment."

Teammates sided with Moll, of course, especially in regard to being confronted after the game.

"I wasn't there when that happened, but I heard," guard Daryn Colledge said. "That can't happen. I'm sure there will be ramifications for that. We'll see what happens."

Said linebacker Nick Barnett: "I didn't see it. I heard it was some (expletive) though."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes this article great is the quote, "I think I hit him in the (groin)." I've never seen parentheses used for such comic effect.

Also, it was nice to read an entire article about the game that made no mention of how badly the Packers got killed by the Jets. I needed to take a break from that subject.

Members online

Latest posts