Current Backup QBs in NFL

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those pounding TT for being so naive, dumb, idiotic, etc. for not having a better backup plan than Seneca, here's a list of the current backups to the other top clubs in the NFL:

Broncos - Brock Osweiler - second year player. Who knows what they have there.
Patriots - Ryan Mallett - attempted four career passes in three years. A name player given his college career, but no clue what he brings to the table.
Ravens - Tyrod Taylor - third-year player out of Va. Tech. Limited game action.
Steelers (who have a QB that's banged up a lot) - Bruce Gradkowski. On fifth team in seven seasons.
Texans - Keenum - Looks better than Schaub through one game.
Colts - Matt Hasselback. Signed two-year, $7.25M deal in 2013.

Cowboys - Kyle Orton
Giants - Curtis Painter
Lions - Shaun Hill
Falcons - Dominique Davis - second-year player out of East Carolina. Never played a down.
Saints - Luke McCown - on his fifth team.
49ers - Colt McCoy
Seahawks - Tarvaris Jackson

Couple takeaways:

1. We aren't the only team with a bare shelf after our star QB.
2. Teams that paid top dollar for their QB (Baltimore, Saints, Falcons...) are more likely to have the bigger question mark behind their starter.
3. Teams with QBs under rookie contracts have greater flexibility to get (i.e. pay for) a better backup, though that's really debatable after looking at these names.

Long story short, we are far from the only team with a perilous backup plan. It's the nature of the salary cap era, especially when the Packers just handed out the richest contract in football history to Rodgers, one of the top deals on defense to Clay, and have a myriad of players that need resigning in coming years.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe someone could remind me of how the Pats and the Colts did when Brady and Manning were out.
How did their back up QBs do in their first games and then overall through the rest of the season with the star QBs on the sidelines?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night was the battle of the back-ups.
And we know which team won.
However he has already had some game time experience.
Even so, right now Da Bears has a better back up than we do.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe someone could remind me of how the Pats and the Colts did when Brady and Manning were out.
How did their back up QBs do in their first games and then overall through the rest of the season with the star QBs on the sidelines?

Manning-less Colts won the Suck for Luck derby. Proceeded to make playoffs in Luck's first year with similar roster to year before.

Matt Cassell held together for a winning record and playoff berth. Without looking, I think they lost first round.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of those backup QBs were signed 6 days before the season opener?

That's a red herring argument.

Tell us, exactly, what TT should have done differently, accounting for the fact that these will be the first games Rodgers misses since 2010, that Rodgers just signed the richest contract in league history, the Packers have a lot of talent up for contracts soon, and they need depth at other issues that have also been ravaged by injuries.

For the sake of argument, let's say the Packers did sign a Hasselbeck type to that kind of contract to appease your concerns, would you do so at the cost of Shields because we wouldn't have been able to resign him this off-season? Do so at the ability to resign Claymaker at the terms we did? And with a multi-year deal at that price range, we'd be saying good-bye to James Jones, EDS, JMike, and Neal to name a few.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
How would that be a red herring. You have a backup QB to back up the starting QB. How well can you back up a QB after 6 games? I have never espoused a Matt Hasselbeck type backup. I see the signing of Wallace as only the tip of TT's iceberg of incompentence. The 6 days to prepare is what damns it. I would have been more fine with Harrel as he had more time to be a part of the system

Members online

Latest posts