Curious Trade Idea

kmeyer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know what Adrian Peterson means to the Vikings and their future. Knowing Miami needs a QB, I wonder if they would take ARod and our 1st pick for the number 1 overall. We then take McFadden to platoon with Grant.

Is that too much? Would Miami consider this? I agree RB is not our biggest need, but special impact players do not come around often.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for improving our run game but over the long haul we must have a QB ready to take over for Favre. It's too high a price for a rookie who'll want a $60mil contract. Miami is smart to try to trade out of the #1 spot.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Kmeyer.. this is a draft loaded with RB's, I wouldn't move up to select McFadden at all..

Here is a quick list of some higher rated ones.. Great class.

Allen Patrick Oklahoma
Chris Johnson East Carolina
Dantrell Savage Oklahoma State
Darren McFadden Arkansas
Felix Jones Arkansas
Jacob Hester Louisiana State
Jamaal Charles Texas
Jonathan Stewart Oregon
Justin Forsett Cal-Berkeley
Kevin Smith Central Florida
Matt Forte Tulane
Mike Hart Michigan
Rashard Mendenhall Illinois
Ray Rice Rutgers
Ryan Torain Arizona State
Steve Slaton West Virginia
Tashard Choice Georgia Tech
Thomas Brown Georgia

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno about that one... Think about the signing bonus we'd have to pay McFadden for the 1st Overall. Plus, I think we're okay in the RB department at the moment. Also, getting rid of Rodgers means we have to pick up another QB and try to teach him the offense and hope that he does well. I like having Rodgers around as the backup to Favre. Not really sure why everyone wants to give him the boot.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for improving our run game but over the long haul we must have a QB ready to take over for Favre. It's too high a price for a rookie who'll want a $60mil contract. Miami is smart to try to trade out of the #1 spot.

Agreed. QBs are too hard to replace. Rodgers has too much talent for us to let go of him.

Don't underestimate Jackson. I think he'll evolve into a pretty good secondary RB and receiving RB.

Pack93z

Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

Agreed. QBs are too hard to replace. Rodgers has too much talent for us to let go of him.

Don't underestimate Jackson. I think he'll evolve into a pretty good secondary RB and receiving RB.

I think if we can find a true speed back, a triple threat type like Sporles in San Diego... he would fit wonderfully on this team... a pocket hercules type with speed to burn.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
retiredgrampa said:

I think if we can find a true speed back, a triple threat type like Sporles in San Diego... he would fit wonderfully on this team... a pocket hercules type with speed to burn.

No RB is going to do anything on this team while the line is imploding on half of our plays.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that Ryan Grant is our starter, and should be. We need to supplement him with improved o-line play (I'd be okay with bringing in some better guards) and good play by the backup RB. At the moment, I don't know if Brandon Jackson can be a good backup, but I think he can.

Also, trading Aaron Rodgers seems ridiculous to me. I'd go and join the massive thread about it, but I don't have the time. Simply put, the guy will be 25 or 26 when he inherits the offense, and by that time he'll already know quite a bit about the system. It's recommended not to rush QBs into starts. He certainly won't suffer from that. The key for ALL US FANS is to not expect him to be Brett Favre. If all he can do is be a post-Elway Brian Griese, then we need to ride that ship a few years and hopefully by then a strong run game and powerful defense will lead the way. But TRADE HIM? That's much to near-sighted a view for this football team.

Pack93z

Reaction score
No RB is going to do anything on this team while the line is imploding on half of our plays.

Agreed... need consistency on the oline.. but the thread is about Mcfadden and or running backs... ;)

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we have a good group of backs the that may not be around is morencey sorry sure i spelled the name wrong,but grant is going to be very good i think better than green and i liked him still do,jackson is showing improvement wynn will be back and grant is like a w.r. or somthing like that so i dont think we should trade :)

OP
OP
K

kmeyer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everyone. My only point is that if they think McFadden could make the same impact Peterson made with the vikes, then and only then do I like the idea.

I realize it is a deep rb draft, but there are not 10 Adrian Peterson's in this draft. There may not be even 1.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't mean to be a butt-hole, but can you please use periods? it makes it difficult to follow your posts with no punctuation.

Reaction score
There may not be even 1.

And that's reason enough to not do this trade.

To invest 35+ million guaranteed into one player in the hopes that he will an AP type RB is bad investing.

You never should invest too much money at a position such as RB, because you can get quality guys that are much less expensive. Look at Ryan Grant, DeShawn Wynn, etc. These guys are big play threats that are strong runners and elusive.

Look at Bucs RB Cadillac Williams and Dolphins RB Ronnie Brown. They were both lost to injury, and you could argue that Ryan Grant is doing every bit as good a job as them for whole lot less.

Reaction score
My only point is that if they think McFadden could make the same impact Peterson made with the vikes, then and only then do I like the idea.

The draft is no science.

If people knew AP would have the type of season he had, he'd never have slipped to #7.

You can't say with any certainty that McFadden will be the next AP. Even if it looks like he has similar skills, you can't say for certain those skills will translate to on-field success.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson has a LOT of Eddie George in him.

He's 80% of their offense and just like Cadillac Williams in Tampa,
and Eddie George w/him...they're not going to last...

Cadillac can't even play a full season anymore and he's relatively new..

I don't see Adrian Peterson lasting that long, w/his style and his
injury history.

The pack really don't need to trade for anyone. Can just take the best player.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson has a LOT of Eddie George in him.

He's 80% of their offense and just like Cadillac Williams in Tampa,
and Eddie George w/him...they're not going to last...

Cadillac can't even play a full season anymore and he's relatively new..

I don't see Adrian Peterson lasting that long, w/his style and his
injury history.

Couldn't agree more.

Pack93z

Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Agreed. There are relatively few holes to fill, so the Packers can take the best of what slips to them.

Except a QB, right Cal? :lol: ;)

Dang it AADP ... we had a thread going with a mention of Favre or Rodgers.. flippin Canadians. :lol:

Pack93z

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everyone. My only point is that if they think McFadden could make the same impact Peterson made with the vikes, then and only then do I like the idea.

I realize it is a deep rb draft, but there are not 10 Adrian Peterson's in this draft. There may not be even 1.

Is there an real separation between McFadden and the rest of this class? I really don't think so, McFadden to me is over-rated highly. I have been wrong before, often... but I can't see spending the money to find out on this kid.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Miami would respond with a No thank you to the Packers on that offer.

Plus I think Dorsey and Long are really can't miss prospects. Imagine a defensive line with Ryan Pickett, Chris Long, Aaron Kampman, and Johnny Jolley. That'd be scary good.

Again though you'd have to give to much to move up that far in the Draft and I'm sure Miami could move down a few spots and take Matt Ryan and still pickup an extra first or a 2nd and a 3rd.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Agreed. There are relatively few holes to fill, so the Packers can take the best of what slips to them.

Except a QB, right Cal? :lol: ;)

Hehe..nah..they can draft a QB...it would be nice to see if Brian Brohm
fell into the packers arms. Competition is always good.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Felix Jones, the next Devin Hester...

Members online

Latest posts