Culpepper interested in signing with Packers?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsess...0d5d80a5c87f&template=with-video&confirm=true

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- If the Green Bay Packers change their mind about having two rookies back up quarterback Aaron Rodgers this season, veteran free agent Daunte Culpepper is willing to listen.

"I have not heard from the Packers since before the draft," Culpepper said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Thursday night. "My ears are definitely opened to listen if they need a proven backup for Aaron."

Culpepper visited the Packers in April, after Brett Favre's original retirement, but left without a deal in place. He continues talking to other teams, but so far hasn't received the response he is hoping for.

"I am talking," Culpepper said. "I am just not convinced that the teams are listening."

Culpepper, 31, was a standout quarterback for Green Bay's division rival, Minnesota, before he sustained a major knee injury in 2005. He played in four games for Miami in 2006 and seven with the Oakland Raiders last season.

The Packers drafted a pair of rookies, Louisville's Brian Brohm and LSU's Matt Flynn, in April. Rodgers took over as the starter -- and stayed there, even after Favre unretired and was traded to the New York Jets.

Brohm generally has outperformed Flynn in practice and Flynn has been better in the Packers' preseason games, but neither may be far enough along to be considered a viable backup at this point in their careers.

After both struggled against the Tennessee Titans' No. 1 defense in the first half of the Packers' 23-21 loss in Thursday night's preseason finale at Lambeau Field, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he was comfortable with his quarterback situation.

"I'm going to say it for about the 100th time, it takes time, OK?" McCarthy said. "It takes time to develop young quarterbacks, and that's where we are. I'm excited about their future, but we've got work to do."

But McCarthy seemed to leave the door open to the possibility of the team adding a veteran backup.

"Those are all options," McCarthy said.

Flynn threw a pair of touchdown passes in the second half and nearly tied the game after narrowly missing a potential two-point conversion pass at the end of regulation. Brohm had a potential second-half touchdown called back on an instant replay review.

Brohm said the Packers are fine with the quarterbacks they have.

"I don't think we need to bring in a veteran backup because I think all three of us are ready to go," Brohm said.

I don't know. I REALLY don't know. Part of me says grab him but part of me says he could be a distraction, and god forbid Aaron have a rocky start. I think I'd be OK with it if he signed cheap, knew his role, and helped the TEAM any and every way he could.

joeyharrington

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who wants that scrub on the team? Culpepper knows noone else wants his looser *** thats why he's scrawling back.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. It seems like he's pretty open coming to the team and knows exactly what his role would be, a proven backup for Aaron Rodgers.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems like Daunte is changing his tune. I'm guessing he is sorry he didn't take TT up on his offer earlier. I don't know if TT will bother with him now.... :$

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this issue is necessarily dead. I got the sense he retired because he's bitter that nobody is willing to pay what he thinks he deserves. If someone were to step up in an act of desperation, I bet he'd be willing to come back...with that said, if he has that mindset, I don't want him within a state of Green Bay!

What's the news on Simms...haven't heard much about that lately.

TheFrozenTundra1984

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pugger said:
Yes, I've noticed Simms is still unemployed. Maybe TT knows something here... ;)

Not anymore....

And the last I heard Daunte was happily retired...and even if he decided he did want to play, I doubt he'd be anywhere near playing shape.

TeamGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather soldier on with the 3 we have.. Brohm and Flynn wont be fully ready for a few years, we all know that but still rather have them backing Rodgers up and keep the balance than bringing him in!

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been quite unimpressed with both Bohm and Flynn, moreso with Brohm. Picking up someone like Culpepper may not be a terrible idea. Retirement doesn't mean crap, just ask Brett.

Crweems11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the season started I really wanted them to get some veteran qb, but now since I've seen Rodgers and the rest of the team play, I don't think so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Members online

Latest posts