cullen jenkins?

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the second round pick got me thinking.. could this possibly mean we dont resign jenkins? Thought?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a hint at where we stand at 3-4 DE. Raji will play one of the spots this year. Jolly will definitely be suspended for a couple of games imo and his contract is expiring. So is Jenkins' and I believe Jenkins might want to play in a 4-3. I do not advocate resigning Justin Harrell even if he ends up having a solid year. That leaves us with Jarius Wynn. Who else do we have for DE??? I thought taking Mike Neal was a reach but it a safe one so I'm satisfied. Besides, do you really want to take a 3-4 DE in the first round next year? Because that will be our biggest need next offseason.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with Jolly's legal situation, plus this pick gives us the ability to rotate personnel.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice when you take a step back and think about it for a minute, isn't it? =)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think it was a reach, but there's a definite necessity of a DE...

If you had asked me last year, I thought Kampman would never leave, so... Not much hope about Jenkins... Hopes he leaves us with a ring...

OP
OP
Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres no doubt whatsoever that he was a reach.. and i still dont think it was the pick we should have made at all.. but the picks done and now all we can hope for is that he turns out to be a good player.. i guess we couldve done worse

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
word is that neal was shooting up draft boards, and might have gone in the late 2nd or early 3rd so this was not much of a reach. if you want a player you go get him, you dont hope he is their later you take him then. i like the pick, i think it means the end of harrell more than anyone. i think jenkins and jolly will get resigned, jolly is a good young player who made a mistake and i dont think thompson will let him walk for that. jenkins also had a very good year last year. people wanted him in the pro bowl and he is also pretty young. you dont get rid of good young players you stockpile them. which is what thompson is doing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more of a "what if Jolly goes to jail" contingency plan.
I think it's a "what if Jolly goes to jail, what if Harrell is hurt again, and what if either Pickett, Raji or Jenkins gets hurt" thing...

Before this two picks, we could have entered the season with Raji, Jenkins, Pickett and Wynn. Wynn is still too weak to play in a regular basis. So we could've had absolutely no rotation this year.

But I still think it was a reach. Won't care where he was drafted if he becomes a stud, though...

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but if they pan out to be decent and part of the rotation, then you have 2 complete dlines and can keep them fresh during games which will help the pass rush which is one of the big needs we have anyway.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the fact that one of the two will not be resigned next year, TT thinking a year in advance, and the fact that Jolly is one dimensional.

We must get better play out of our defensive line, they need to draw more double teams and collapse the pocket. To do this on a consistent bases we need depth and good rotation to keep them fresh.

We now have 6 players that could rotate in, more than just Raji and Wynn.

IMO last year they put too much faith in Justin Harrell playing, when he was unable to go we were short handed. TT is not going to make that mistake again.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the fact that one of the two will not be resigned next year, TT thinking a year in advance, and the fact that Jolly is one dimensional.

We must get better play out of our defensive line, they need to draw more double teams and collapse the pocket. To do this on a consistent bases we need depth and good rotation to keep them fresh.

We now have 6 players that could rotate in, more than just Raji and Wynn.

IMO last year they put too much faith in Justin Harrell playing, when he was unable to go we were short handed. TT is not going to make that mistake again.

I agree 100%. The coaches needed to identify where the pass rush was truly lacking, was it the linebackers or the d-line? To me it was always the d-line. In fact before the draft I went as far as suggesting that the Packers would take Jared Odrick with their first pick (glad that didn't happen.) Now that we zeroed in on which area of the D was hampering our players from getting to the QB I expect Matthews and Jones to have far better seasons than the ones they just had.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe GB is putting their money where they should in their Defensive Line. I don't think Harrell or Hawk will be around next year and with the loss of Kampman their should be money in the pot to keep both Jenkins & Jolly.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe GB is putting their money where they should in their Defensive Line. I don't think Harrell or Hawk will be around next year and with the loss of Kampman their should be money in the pot to keep both Jenkins & Jolly.

The way that I'm looking at it now, I think only one of them will be resigned. I'm a big fan of both those guys but their contracts will be too enormous that we'd have to ignore other key positions. Then again by letting go of Harrell and Hawk we free up a ton of big-time salaries. If that happens, I guess there's a slim chance that getting both Jolly and Jenkins back could be possible.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way that I'm looking at it now, I think only one of them will be resigned. I'm a big fan of both those guys but their contracts will be too enormous that we'd have to ignore other key positions. Then again by letting go of Harrell and Hawk we free up a ton of big-time salaries. If that happens, I guess there's a slim chance that getting both Jolly and Jenkins back could be possible.

The way the packers are talking it seems like they want to keep Hawk around. I wonder how much he would want...

I thought Jenkins has two years left on his contract

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
your insane, jenkins is our best D-lineman.....

This means we don't know whats going to happen with Johnny Jolly's Current Police situation, and we dont have enough depth to replace him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way the packers are talking it seems like they want to keep Hawk around. I wonder how much he would want...

I thought Jenkins has two years left on his contract

You're right, Jenkins' contract runs up til the end of the 20111 season. But there are still some people thinking that Green Bay ships him out via trade if he starts to slow down or isn't performing as well as expected. I understand that he's our best d-lineman FOR NOW, but after drafting two stud 3-4 DE's this year that could very well change. Who knows, maybe Neal and Wilson could step in Day 1 and unseat both Jolly and Jenkins respectively and 1 year from now we would forget all about them.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts