Crosby and his issues

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I sure do not wish for a playoff loss because of a missed FG this year off the foot of Crosby. I propose to give T. J. Lang a shot at kicking FG's. Problem solved. :)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read reports where crosby has been nailing everything in practice and in warmups which is why the coaches say it's mental (duhh). Maybe we need to go for it everytime if the attempt is over 35 yards so this guy can go on a streak and get some confidence back knocking in some easy ones. Only thing is we put more pressure on the defense potentially giving up field position if we don't convert, and the offense to have to convert so were not giving up field position. So Crosby's inability to make FG's has put pressure on everybody really.

The last person on the team people should be talking about is the darn kicker. Now we have to hear about how bad he is and how MM is sticking with him on every dog'on football show.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an interesting concept.
I can ride a unicycle, I can jump on one 10 years after not riding one and do it. Not as easy as you might think.
I can shoot free throws and "coffin corner" jumpshots at the same rate without picking up a basketball for years.
I am consistent in trap, I miss 'em at station 5 (I'm right handed)
But I am all over the world on drives. I have no confidence in my drive.
You're right Frank, people suggest drivers, grips, angles, foot placement and swing. I honestly don't think that Tiger Woods as my pro would correct my drive. So nobody ever talked to me about my short game, in fact I'm downright pro out of the sand. I often short put but I'm happy with that as I almost always 2 putt. I've never questioned it and never thought about it because it's not an issue.
But here's the thing - if I was making a living at any of these things I'd be doing it ALOT and damned sure I'd be good at it. I'd have raced in the Indianapolis 2.5 on the unicycle.
I don't know that place kicking in the NFL has any other parellel in sports but it sure as heck is interesting.
It definitely is mental with this guy.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I sure do not wish for a playoff loss because of a missed FG this year off the foot of Crosby. I propose to give T. J. Lang a shot at kicking FG's. Problem solved. :)
How bout Masthey? Why not,he's the punter

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe I am remembering wrong but I thought I recall in his first preseason, Masthay getting some kickoff duties and kicking with about the same leg strength as Crosby. So if we had to bring in a weak-legged kicker for field goal attempts only, we would still be covered on kickoffs.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I've read reports where crosby has been nailing everything in practice and in warmups which is why the coaches say it's mental (duhh). Maybe we need to go for it everytime if the attempt is over 35 yards so this guy can go on a streak and get some confidence back knocking in some easy ones. Only thing is we put more pressure on the defense potentially giving up field position if we don't convert, and the offense to have to convert so were not giving up field position. So Crosby's inability to make FG's has put pressure on everybody really.

The last person on the team people should be talking about is the darn kicker. Now we have to hear about how bad he is and how MM is sticking with him on every dog'on football show.

practice and warm ups are different senarios than game time. Pressure, crowd noise, defensive line coming after you and jumping up to block.......game time & practice = apples to oranges

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides just kicking the ball, the snapper, holder, and kicker all have to be on the same page. Might be a bit late in the game to accomplish that for this season. Cutting immediately would be very risky. Bringing someone in on the practice squad was my vote - at this point it is not going to wreck Mason's confidence any more, it is already in ruins.

It would help also if we called plays to get first downs rather than deep routes when it is 3rd and 2 on their 35 yd line. In this last game it seemed like MM was finally doing this rather than trotting Mason out there for a 55 yd attempt.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It would help also if we called plays to get first downs rather than deep routes when it is 3rd and 2 on their 35 yd line. In this last game it seemed like MM was finally doing this rather than trotting Mason out there for a 55 yd attempt.

Could there be 3 or 4 guys going out, one is deep, one is short curl, and one or two is a short/medium out/in?

So when Rodgers tosses to the long route, is that MM's fault?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ I think what he is trying to say is: it has been a trend this season to toss a long bomb on 3rd and short. Just seems like it hasnt worked out yet. IDK if they are look for a PI call or what, but I'm tired of seeing that junk too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
^ I think what he is trying to say is: it has been a trend this season to toss a long bomb on 3rd and short. Just seems like it hasnt worked out yet. IDK if they are look for a PI call or what, but I'm tired of seeing that junk too.

Yes i know..but not every Wr is going out for a 20 yard route

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understand loyalty and it's a good trait.
To an extent.

I think what Bozz is saying is that you don't really know what's going on at 1265. McCarthy doesn't give much up to the press and he's not going to on this either.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby represents a minuscule amount of our overall problems. The largest part of that 99 goes to the O-Line. If the O-Line wasn't as big as a problem, we wouldn't have to rely on Crosby so much. It would take him out of the equation.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of you are the same monkeys who were jumping up and down in your cages about not signing Marshawn Lynch. Running a quality NFL team requires more than just the ability to fire and hire. Thank goodness Dan Snyder isn't running this team, because it sounds like that's the style of GM you're all looking to run this team. The last time I looked, the coach and GM on the watch have a pretty good track record that most other fans are envious of. Now calm down and eat your bananas
Last I checked, Jimmy Johnson also had a pretty decent track record. In 1991, the Cowboys went 11-5 with Ken Willis as their kicker. Willis went 27 for 39 that year and was cut. In 1992 Johnson won a Superbowl with Lin Elliott as his kicker. The following year, Elliott started the season, but in the second game he missed two FG's, Dallas lost to Buffalo by a score of 13-10 to go 0-2 to start the season, and Elliott was cut - after two games! Johnson brought in 37 year old "Steady" Eddie Murray, won 12 of the next 14 games, and won his second Superbowl in as many years.

There are plenty of NFL caliber kickers out there that can kick the ball through the uprights in pressure situations. I hope we don't have to depend on the one they have...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main point was that there is a tremendous difference between doing something like that in Week 2 versus Week 16. There is also a difference between cutting Vic So'oto at this point and cutting a 6-year veteran, who is 8 for 10 in playoff FGs. He may not be a vocal leader, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that Crosby is a leader in that locker room one way or another.

I'll just wait to see if TT, MM, and I are the only three that can say 'I told you so' after this season. I think that staying the course with Crosby is the right move. I'm nowhere near 100% sure that he will snap out of it, but I'm also nowhere near 50% sure that bringing in a FA kicker is the best move at this point of the season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well they could have at least bought in some competition ijs. Some people perform better when the threat of sombody else taking their job is presented. Crosby needs to know his job is at stake, imo he's way to comfortable.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This just in from the Packers Practice field.....Crosby kicked 5 in a row from 30 yards and MM gave him the rest of the day off to practice his tournament putting.

Sign a second kicker already dammit!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Lets just wait till the playoffs start and go steal Orlindo Mare from the bears (since they wont be there ha ha lol ), he can still kick, we've seen that.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign a second kicker already dammit!
I'm not going to say that this is the wrong strategy, because depending on the use it could be smart. However, I will give you guys something to think about regarding that notion.

Here are Crosby's career (not including this season 2007-2011) and 2012 stats:
Career__2012
100%____100%__0-19 yards
95%_____100%__20-29 yards
86%_____71%___30-39 yards
69%_____70%___40-49 yards
50%_____13%___50+ yards

As far as percentages go, he is at career averages for everything but 30-39 and 50+. He is 5 for 7 in the 30-39 range which is not unusual for him, but missing any more from that range would tie his record of three in 2008.

What has really dropped his overall season average is going 1 for 8 kicking over 50 yards. Compared to other Packer kickers, Crosby's career averages are better than Chris Jacke's and even with Ryan Longwell's stats under 50 yards. Over 50 yards those guys kicked 65% (Jacke) and 59% (Longwell) while Crosby is a career 50% guy. So clearly Crosby is -- EVEN THIS SEASON -- kicking just fine under 50 yards, but he sucks from long range.

The point is that bringing in another kicker to go 50+ could be a good decision. Why McCarthy keeps trotting the guy out for 50+ kicks is the head-scratcher. No other Packer kicker has attempted more than 6 field goals except when Chris Jacke went 6 for 7 in 1993. The point is that he isn't connecting long and might be killing his confidence. Keep him kicking under 50 where he is doing just fine and the Packers will be just fine.

For anybody who thinks that bring Olindo Mare in, he's a worse 50+ kicker than Crosby at 44.2%. He went 0-2 last year from that distance and missed three FGs in the 30-39 range last year as well. He's no better than Crosby right now, in fact worse. Think before you type.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to say that this is the wrong strategy, because depending on the use it could be smart. However, I will give you guys something to think about regarding that notion.

Career__2012
100%____100%__0-19 yards
50%_____13%___50+ yards

As far as percentages go, he is at career averages for everything but 30-39 and 50+. He is 5 for 7 in the 30-39 range which is not unusual for him, but missing any more from that range would tie his record of three in 2008.

What has really dropped his overall season average is going 1 for 8 kicking over 50 yards. Compared to other Packer kickers, Crosby's career averages are better than Chris Jacke's and even with Ryan Longwell's stats under 50 yards. Over 50 yards those guys kicked 65% (Jacke) and 59% (Longwell) while Crosby is a career 50% guy. So clearly Crosby is -- EVEN THIS SEASON -- kicking just fine under 50 yards, but he sucks from long range.

The point is that bringing in another kicker to go 50+ could be a good decision. Why McCarthy keeps trotting the guy out for 50+ kicks is the head-scratcher. No other Packer kicker has attempted more than 6 field goals except when Chris Jacke went 6 for 7 in 1993. The point is that he isn't connecting long and might be killing his confidence. Keep him kicking under 50 where he is doing just fine and the Packers will be just fine.

For anybody who thinks that bring Olindo Mare in, he's a worse 50+ kicker than Crosby at 44.2%. He went 0-2 last year from that distance and missed three FGs in the 30-39 range last year as well. He's no better than Crosby right now, in fact worse. Think before you type.

I don't even care about the 50+ yarders. No one is talking about bringing in Longwell or Kasay or any other aging kicker with 50+ yard FG's in mind. Just go for it or play field position back from the 30 yard line, depending on distance to go and game situation.

I would, however, like to have someone not make a 38 yard FG regularly look like an adventure.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Career__2012
100%____100%__0-19 yards
50%_____13%___50+ yards

Problem solved. Never let Crosby kick from beyond 29 yards

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Career__2012
100%____100%__0-19 yards
50%_____13%___50+ yards

You can throw career averages out the window, especially with a field goal kicker. It is ALL about what he is (or isn't doing) now. Why can't you face the fact that for whatever reason, Crosby is in a bad slump, whether its mental or physical, we have 2 games left that mean something (home field advantage) and the playoffs ahead that a made field goal could be the difference. Everyone has been waiting for Crosby to kick his way out of this, but it isn't happening. Do you keep putting a career 300 hitter up to the plate when he is batting 150 over the last half of the season? No, you sit him down and bring in someone who can hit. Keep Crosby in the line-up (for kick-offs and PAT's), but bring someone in that is wearing some big boy pants and can make a damn field goal.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Career__2012
100%____100%__0-19 yards
50%_____13%___50+ yards

The problem with your stats are that they are season averages. They don't factor in the current slide by Crosby. The stats from those distances for the last 5 or so games wouldn't be nearly as pretty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts