Crosby and his issues

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy on what players are thinking about misses: "I'm not going to sit here and act like everybody's not watching how this is handled."

At the very least, it sounds like the players are divided over Crosby. A lot of them are probably close to Crosby, but understand business is business. If you're paid to make field goals, that's what you have to do.

Slocum also said that he's making kicks in practice.

H

HardRightEdge

Assuming Crosby doesn't turn this thing around going into the playoffs, will his inability to make anything longer than a point after force MM to be more aggressive in playcalling? If so, it could work for us. Pretty ironic and not the way we'd like it to be, but that's what we might be looking at. On a side note, continuing to win in spite of not having the luxury of counting on FG's only adds to ARod's greatness.
I think yes and no, depending on how you view the conventional wisdom.

Nearly every team in most game situations will try a FG when it's 4th. and 2 with a 50 yard field goal distance. Personally, I think this is usually dumb. It's a case where there should be compelling circumstances and very favorable field conditions leading you to kick; the default should be go for it, not the other way around. If having an untrustworthy kicker leads to more go-for-its on short yardage in lieu of a 45 yd.+ FG, then it should work out in more cases than not.

The problem comes in when you're 4th. and long, or the clock is ticking down, or you're in OT. You'd like to think you have a 60-70% chance on a 45 yd. FG. MM's in a tough spot with that one. He went for a 4th. and 6 instead of a 43 yd. FG in between Crosby's 2 misses. It worked, but the odds are poor in that case and you should be able to kick with confidence.

H

HardRightEdge

Side note.....but Alex posted the vid which reminded me.......did anyone else REALLY not like Clays new sack dance?

I'm with you. :poop:

I guess he's going for Chippendale for the gal fans...his agent probably told him his female demographic is off the charts. To me, he looks like a girly stripper. The Bears #79 looks like he's saying, "turn around...I want some of that booty."

However, in the end, if he keeps playing like that, he can stand on his head and salute the queen for all I care.

As for putting that mess in one's signature area...let's go back to Hall and Oates album covers. :whistling:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
McCarthy on what players are thinking about misses: "I'm not going to sit here and act like everybody's not watching how this is handled."

At the very least, it sounds like the players are divided over Crosby. A lot of them are probably close to Crosby, but understand business is business. If you're paid to make field goals, that's what you have to do.

Slocum also said that he's making kicks in practice.

I feel like every struggling kicker in history has been accompanied by a coach with a microphone telling everyone about how he's been nailing the kicks in practice.

I believe he has been. Which is why I don't believe Crosby for a second when he said this is something physical, not mental. Not a chance, Mason. This has gone far beyond a physical correction, it's completely in your head, and you know it.

As far as Kaeding, I'd pass. Entering the playoffs, I don't want any part of a kicker that is notorious for struggling in pressure situations. We already have that right now.

Just go ahead and bring in some weak-legged, but accurate kicker that can hit everything 45 and under and easily be cut at the end of the season, that's good enough for me. Longwell and Kasay fit the bill.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And McCarthy is part of them too because he's acting like there are no other kickers in America he could bring in instead.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I don't think MM will make any kicker change now, but next season? I would sure be looking for someone to replace him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And McCarthy is part of them too because he's acting like there are no other kickers in America he could bring in instead.

I think it's.... slightly more complicated than that. I hear what you're saying and I get the sentiment. But McCarthy is giving very little insight to us fans about the situation and, with respect, that's your take. I don't think he's sending that signal; I don't think he's sending any signals at all. And honestly, at this critical point in the season, I'm fine with that. Sure we're frustrated by his close-to-the-vest approach, but other teams likely are too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy is too stubborn to change his play calling? Check the run/pass play calling ratio from early in the season to the last month or so. And he regularly gives help to Barclay in pass pro – that’s also a change for him. IMO the stubbornness that is being displayed is by those who have decided McCarthy’s play calling hasn’t changed in spite of the evidence to the contrary.

What having no confidence in a PK does is gets the team closer to the “never punt” philosophy with a twist. “Never attempt a FG” causes the Packers to go for it on fourth down in opponents’ territory and they certainly had success Sunday. But obviously they need a dependable FG for the playoffs. McCarthy can still be aggressive and go for it on fourth down but it will be necessary for him to have a legitimate alternative.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's.... slightly more complicated than that. I hear what you're saying and I get the sentiment. But McCarthy is giving very little insight to us fans about the situation and, with respect, that's your take. I don't think he's sending that signal; I don't think he's sending any signals at all. And honestly, at this critical point in the season, I'm fine with that. Sure we're frustrated by his close-to-the-vest approach, but other teams likely are too.
I understand loyalty and it's a good trait.
To an extent.

I also understand kicking.
Kicking us much mental, along the lines of golf, both drives and putts.
I've been there before...
Same way with free throw shooting, and for some wild pitchers, pitching. Sometimes a relief pitcher just cannot find the strike zone.
Some great shooters have streaks where they can't buy a basket.
Some great golfers have days where they can't make a putt over 5 feet long.
Or hit a fairway........ it's almost always mental.

Crosby is a head-case and McCarthy has given him 3, 4 more chances than any other coach would have.
I think it's too much patience.

Would love to be proven wrong and see Crosby go Adam Vinitiri on us with some Super Bowl winners.
But I can't stomach to watch this guy now, imagine a playoff game-ender. I'd faint.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We used to have someone in this forum who's favorite player was CROSBY.
I remember their avatar or signature or something was about him, the kicker.

Who is/was that person?
Anyone remember? Sorry for my alzheimers.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of you are the same monkeys who were jumping up and down in your cages about not signing Marshawn Lynch. Running a quality NFL team requires more than just the ability to fire and hire. Thank goodness Dan Snyder isn't running this team, because it sounds like that's the style of GM you're all looking to run this team. The last time I looked, the coach and GM on the watch have a pretty good track record that most other fans are envious of. Now calm down and eat your bananas

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of you are the same monkeys who were jumping up and down in your cages about not signing Marshawn Lynch. Running a quality NFL team requires more than just the ability to fire and hire. Thank goodness Dan Snyder isn't running this team, because it sounds like that's the style of GM you're all looking to run this team. The last time I looked, the coach and GM on the watch have a pretty good track record that most other fans are envious of. Now calm down and eat your bananas

Sorry...I can't buy that....the two situations are way different....We had other backs on the roster that they knew about and as it turns out handle the load..Even tho they werent world beaters they turned out pretty good..They also didnt really cost us any games..

We have no one on the roster to jump to for kicking a fg now..

But Crosby has costs us at least one tie vs the Colts..and has made other games way more close than they should have been

packers_BG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even imagine what is in his head when the unit goes in the field. I always sympathise players, that struggle with themself. I really like Mason, but at the end of the day - it's the guy that does the job. As american football is a game, that is projecting a war battle, you can't afford your artillery to be the worst element.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I understand loyalty and it's a good trait. To an extent.
I also understand kicking.
Kicking us much mental, along the lines of golf, both drives and putts.
I've been there before...
Same way with free throw shooting, and for some wild pitchers, pitching. Sometimes a relief pitcher just cannot find the strike zone.
Some great shooters have streaks where they can't buy a basket.
Some great golfers have days where they can't make a putt over 5 feet long.
Or hit a fairway........ it's almost always mental.
This is an interesting concept.
I can ride a unicycle, I can jump on one 10 years after not riding one and do it. Not as easy as you might think.
I can shoot free throws and "coffin corner" jumpshots at the same rate without picking up a basketball for years.
I am consistent in trap, I miss 'em at station 5 (I'm right handed)
But I am all over the world on drives. I have no confidence in my drive.
You're right Frank, people suggest drivers, grips, angles, foot placement and swing. I honestly don't think that Tiger Woods as my pro would correct my drive. So nobody ever talked to me about my short game, in fact I'm downright pro out of the sand. I often short put but I'm happy with that as I almost always 2 putt. I've never questioned it and never thought about it because it's not an issue.
But here's the thing - if I was making a living at any of these things I'd be doing it ALOT and damned sure I'd be good at it. I'd have raced in the Indianapolis 2.5 on the unicycle.
I don't know that place kicking in the NFL has any other parellel in sports but it sure as heck is interesting.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, I dont care WHO is to blame here, the kicker, the holder, or the long snapper, THIS WHOLE KICKING THING is beyond belief. This whole unit is probably going to cost us BIG. It really is just a matter of time. IMHO

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the playoffs approaching it would be sheer stupidity for McCarthy to stick with a FG kicker that you can't rely on to consistently make a 40-yarder. If McCarthy wants to give him one more chance, fine. But if after next week things look the same then he has to get a new kicker.

If Crosby flubs a kick inside of 50 yards next week, I'll bet money we'll have a new kicker. McCarthy is hearing it a lot from fans and he'll hear it twice as much.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Lets just pacify everyone and sign another kicker (keeping Crosby). Jeremy Ross would be just fine on slipping through waivers and being on the Practice Squad.

Latest posts