Crosby and his issues

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The mouth is just as, if not more exaggerated than the drops from the haters. You know who sucks? Missin Crosby, that's who sucks.

You're right. Let's just pretend he didn't make 46 of 56 attempts during the 2010 and 2011 seasons. Let's pretend he didn't make 86% of his kicks last year. Let's just forget about him making 17 straight FGs going back to last season and instead let's just look at the slump he's had in the last month as the only true representation of his ability to kick a football. The previous two YEARS were all an illusion. Yeah... that sounds smart.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. He is TERRIBLE dude, get over it.

It's a good thing we have smarter football minds than yours in charge. He's not terrible, our FG unit was in a slump. End of story. Get over it already.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Our FG unit was in a slump? Ya... Our kicker is horrible, not the unit. I've yet to see a bad snap or anything.

Have you ever been part of a college or pro FG unit? I doubt you'd know a bad hold if it smacked you in the ***.

If anything, our unit has bailed out our offense on fakes on more than 1 occasion. 9/9 in last 18 is the worst I've EVER heard of. High school kickers go better than 50%.

The majority of high school FG attempts are less than 30 yards and most of HS kickers never attempt anything past 35 yards.

If considering yourself a smart football mind helps you sleep at night I guess..

I think you're confused. I never said I was. I merely said you WEREN'T. Regardless, if nothing else, I would bet a good penny that I know more of what goes into a FG than you ever will. I held for 3 years in college and learned basically everything they teach NFL kickers, holders and long snappers at Al Del Greco's kicking camp in 1993 and again in 1994. So don't accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about regarding kicking on a high level. Crosby and Masthay have BOTH had their issues the past 6 weeks and they BOTH need to correct it. Crosby will be fine. If GMs were as impatient as fans, there would be no team-building. If they don't get it ironed out by the end of the season, someone will probably be brought in to compete. But I don't see a single kicker available who is better.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly! As a ex-kicker myself, even pushing the ball too hard into the ground can cause an easy miss.

Then you understand how much it harder it is on the kicker when the holder places the ball 2 or 3 inches off from where they mark the spot on the ground. You're relying on that ball being placed right there and when it's not you have only a split second to adjust your kick. And if the placement is late, well...

Reaction score
Then you understand how much it harder it is on the kicker when the holder places the ball 2 or 3 inches off from where they mark the spot on the ground. You're relying on that ball being placed right there and when it's not you have only a split second to adjust your kick. And if the placement is late, well...
(I wasn't the one arguing with you before lol I was just giving my input (if you thought that)) lol
But yes, I do. Hitting the ball just a centimeter off the ball too can be the difference between in between the uprights and completely missing the field goal.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(I wasn't the one arguing with you before lol I was just giving my input (if you thought that)) lol
But yes, I do. Hitting the ball just a centimeter off the ball too can be the difference between in between the uprights and completely missing the field goal.

Yeah, I knew you weren't arguing. Didn't mean for it to sound otherwise.:oops:

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just making sure :)... But anyways, Crosby will come around sooner or later.

Yes he will. Just like Gary Anderson did after a horrible stretch in '86. Happened to Del Greco a couple of times in his career. I bet I could compile a list of at least a dozen QUALITY kickers who had similar streaks to what Crosby & Co. are working through.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

But it has already been established that Crosby was the issue not the holder..So to keep blaming the holder or saying that it MIGHT be the holder or snapper can't really be used anylonger..

Solcom has been quoted as such..Granted it was after the Indy game, but at the time that is what we knew

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/173184191.html

The pair of field goal attempts that K Mason Crosby missed against the Indianapolis Colts Sunday, including a 51-yarder that would have sent the game into overtime, were simply bad kicks.
There were no problems with the execution up until it was in Crosby's hands.
"I would say this, I would expect him to step up and make that kick," Slocum said. "He needs to help our team in that situation, where that game was at that time and obviously to go to overtime, he needs to make that kick."

So your Al Del Creco camp doesnt help anyone in this matter when his coach puts the blame right on Crosby's leg

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it has already been established that Crosby was the issue not the holder..So to keep blaming the holder or saying that it MIGHT be the holder or snapper can't really be used anylonger..

Solcom has been quoted as such..Granted it was after the Indy game, but at the time that is what we knew

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/173184191.html

So your Al Del Creco camp doesnt help anyone in this matter when his coach puts the blame right on Crosby's leg

There was plenty of blame to go round on that game. Yes, we can blame Crosby. We can also blame Clay Matthews for not wrapping up the QB when he had him in his grasp - this would have won the game for us too. Rodgers threw a really bad interception setting up Indy for a TD. Play calling was amiss as well as a bunch of other things. This was a complete team failure to squander a big lead at half.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was plenty of blame to go round on that game. Yes, we can blame Crosby. We can also blame Clay Matthews for not wrapping up the QB when he had him in his grasp - this would have won the game for us too. Rodgers threw a really bad interception setting up Indy for a TD. Play calling was amiss as well as a bunch of other things. This was a complete team failure to squander a big lead at half.

I wasnt talking about who was to blame..Only the fact that Green was trying to blame the holder for misses..Mason's coach put all blame on Mason

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'm not blind. I can use my damn eyes to make my own judgments. I don't mind being corrected, but I'm not stupid.

Solcom has been quoted as such..Granted it was after the Indy game,

That was one game, and the holds looked fine in that game. He was 3-7 from the Jaguars game to the first Lions game. About half of the holds in that game were pretty far off. Of the ones he missed, only 1 hold looked good. But then again, I guess you know better, don't you?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not blind. I can use my damn eyes to make my own judgments. I don't mind being corrected, but I'm not stupid.

That was one game, and the holds looked fine in that game. He was 3-7 from the Jaguars game to the first Lions game. About half of the holds in that game were pretty far off. Of the ones he missed, only 1 hold looked good. But then again, I guess you know better, don't you?

Maybe... I REALLY....REALLY do know something you dont..But you went to kicking camp, so you HAVE to be right?

Special teams coach Shawn Slocum doesn't see a common denominator on the deep misses, only saying Crosby needs to "trust his mechanics." The Packers will let him swing away.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe... I REALLY....REALLY do know something you dont..But you went to kicking camp, so you HAVE to be right?

No, I've been there an done that over 140 times, so I speak from both training AND experience and I know what I'm looking at when I look at the kicks. Not sure why Slocum would put it 100% all on Crosby. Perhaps that's the way they want to play it to the media.

[ naive ] Or do you think coaches always offer full disclosure on everything?[ /naive ]

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the snap or the hold were consistently the reasons for misses or the reason for a particularly important miss, I'd expect LS Goode and/or holder Masthay to stand up and say so thus deflecting the blame away from Crosby. If Goode and/or Masthay were the reason for a miss, I'd expect the STs coach to point that out, thus deflecting some of the heat away from Crosby. But there hasn't been even the slightest hint that the problem is anything but Crosby. Considering the volume and intensity of criticism directed solely at Crosby, IMO that's telling.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

So when a coach BLAMES someone he is lying? Why not blame the real culprit??? So tell me why the coach would be lying?

Now your going to say you know (for the 10000th time, WE KNOW YOU HAVE SAID YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE...No need to remind us in every effing post)

So we are to TRUST YOU, but no one else?

No thank you, I go by what the coach says....So let's leave it at that...

Jeez guys, we`re supposed to be on the same side here. Everybody has an opinion and is entitled to express it. Lets calm down a bit.

H

HardRightEdge

So when a coach BLAMES someone he is lying? Why not blame the real culprit??? So tell me why the coach would be lying?

Evaluating whether a coach or management is "lying" is situational. If you can identify an edge in doing so, then the "lying" argument is plausible. In this case, I agree that placing blame on one guy while knowing the blame belongs elsewhere provides no identifiable advantage.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He just made a 48 or 49 yarder. He's been making kicks lately, and I'm sure one day soon he'll nail a 50+ when we need him to. This "what have you done lately" attitude is crap and is really ticking me off

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Now your going to say you know (for the 10000th time, WE KNOW YOU HAVE SAID YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE...No need to remind us in every effing post)

Like YOU said, his comments were after the COLTS GAME, which was very early on.

And you don't have to trust anyone on anything. You're free to think whatever you want, but don't tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I don't appreciate your not-so-veiled implication that I'm lying about my own experiences. Surely you can do better than that. How about you go back, look at all the kicks with your own eyes and tell me why I'm wrong, using your own expertise?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like YOU said, his comments were after the COLTS GAME, which was very early on.

And you don't have to trust anyone on anything. You're free to think whatever you want, but don't tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

I don't appreciate your not-so-veiled implication that I'm lying about my own experiences. Surely you can do better than that. How about you go back, look at all the kicks with your own eyes and tell me why I'm wrong, using your own expertise?

I am saying I trust what coach says...you maybe right..The point is I DO NOT KNOW..

So when you do not know how things are done, (could be anything, cooking, rebuilding an engine, etc...)

Do you trust a guy you never met? A guy you never seen do these things?

Or someone who teaches these techniques for a living???

Again YOU MAYBE CORRECT...I just do not know..

Moving these again to the kicking thread

12theTruth

Don't understand why some go out of their way to defend a FG kicker that has really never been a "clutch" kicker. Going into this last season I think Mason Crosby was 1-4 in game winning kicks in his career. It seems like constantly throughout his career Mason is relearning how to kick it without going out of bounds, learning how to be more than a horrible long distance FG kicker, and being probably the most mentally fragile Green Bay Packer of my lifetime. Nope, don't understand it at all.

Someone that can't be relied on is a weakness, no?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't understand why some go out of their way to defend a FG kicker that has really never been a "clutch" kicker. Going into this season I think Mason Crosby was 1-4 in game winning kicks in his career. It seems like constantly throughout his career Mason is relearning how to kick it without going out of bounds, learning how to be more than a horrible long distance FG kicker, and being probably the most mentally fragile Green Bay Packer of my lifetime. Nope, don't understand it at all.

Someone that can't be relied on is a weakness, no?
Totally agree. And the kicking is really mental.
Longwell had one bad year with us in 2005 which had a lot to do with the holder he had.
Aside from that Crosby has all the ability. But mentally he just plain does not have it.
He hit a game winner from 36 in his first game in 2007 to beat Philly. But he was the new kid in town.
Replacing Dave Rayner you can only get better.

In 2008 and 2009 he was certainly marginal. He missed a game winner in the Metrodome that Vinitieri made from the same distance against the Vikings to beat them a month earlier.
He missed a big one down in Tennessee that may have kept us from an OT loss. In 2010 and 2o11 he made some terrific kicks. But none of them were so significant that the game was on the line.
Even the winner to beat the Giants last year was only 32 yards. And if we'd have gone to OT and lost it was no big deal. We were already 11-0 and had our seat placed for the post season.

The key misses this season were at Indy. If he just could have made one. I can understand missing at Lambeau especially in the wind and snow. But indoors? That is a kicker's dream. It's like free throw practice in the modern game.

Members online

Latest posts