Could we see it again this year?

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the WR's ad TE's we now have, will we see he "Big 5" formation come back this year? I hope so! It could be deadly.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Just to be foolishly optimistic:

Imagine an offense that lines up speedy Nelson and high-jumper Davante Adams wide with a double beast-TE set of Finley and Lyerla with Cobb optioning out of the backfield. Or replace Cobb with Lacy.

All this with the game's best QB calling the shots. Wow.

All kinds of reasons that this won't happen, but nice to imagine.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is gonna have a HUGE year if he stays healthy. Defenses are gonna be sooo focused on our passing attack that Lacy will be running against 5-6 man defensive fronts most of the time. Draw plays and delays are gonna net huge chunks of yards for Lacy.

Im predicting a 1300-1500 type of year and 10-12 rushing TDs for Lacy.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is gonna have a HUGE year if he stays healthy. Defenses are gonna be sooo focused on our passing attack that Lacy will be running against 5-6 man defensive fronts most of the time. Draw plays and delays are gonna net huge chunks of yards for Lacy.

the thought alone makes me downright giddy.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have too many offensive weapons to play with for me to even begin to guess what we'll do with them all. Time to unveil the 6 WR flurry formation. Should be a fun year to watch. Hope we have good weather and some dome games to show this beast off.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have too many offensive weapons to play with for me to even begin to guess what we'll do with them all. Time to unveil the 6 WR flurry formation. Should be a fun year to watch. Hope we have good weather and some dome games to show this beast off.
4 OL? What are the rules? I know you have to have 5 guys min line up with hand down, but can one of em be a WR who goes out for a catch?

D

Deleted member 6794

4 OL? What are the rules? I know you have to have 5 guys min line up with hand down, but can one of em be a WR who goes out for a catch?

No, it´s not possible. Teams have to line up seven guys on the LOS and only the two guys on the ends of the LOS are eligible to catch a pass.

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s no doubt in my mind our offense will be scary good this season. Defenses will have to pick their poison.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was totally joking, but thanks for playing lol If it could be done, it'd have been done. It has not been done, therefore it can't be done.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit. Even with the replenished receiving corp, do you think the offense will score more points than the 2011 version (35ppg)? Or more points than the 2013 Broncos (37.9ppg)? Don’t get me wrong, I expect this year’s offense to be prolific and certainly good enough to win it all if injuries don’t decimate the team for a change. Preseason optimism is great but no offense is unstoppable as the 2011 and 2013 seasons showed.

The receiving core certainly has been replenished but to what degree we just don’t know yet. I got a laugh out of the 6-WR formation suggestion but IMO that joking suggestion points to an important consideration. My question would not be how often we’ll see the big 5 formation but rather, how often should the Packers go empty backfield? While we hope and expect that the receiving corp has been replenished, we know the RB position is as strong and deep as it’s been in the Thompson/McCarthy tenure. Previously if Rodgers handed the ball off on third and long it was perceived by some as giving up on that series. That’s not the case anymore and it’s not just because of Lacy. The other backs are capable of ripping off a long run when the D is set up to stop the pass.

Why is this important? Because even if healthy, there are questions about the Packers’ OL. In the 5 regular seasons Rodgers has started all the games (or nearly all), he has been sacked 50 or more times twice. Last season he was on pace for more than 40. Those stats don’t take into account the number of times he’s been hit and knocked down. So except for hail Mary’s and third and 12-15+ yards, I would rather not see an empty backfield - and perhaps not even then. I would rather not invite the defense to go after Rodgers more than they will anyway.

PFanCan

Reaction score
My question would not be how often we’ll see the big 5 formation but rather, how often should the Packers go empty backfield?

I absolutely HATE the empty backfield. Even on 3rd and long. I hate it as it takes away another blocker for Rodgers. I hate it because the DEs can pin their ears back and rush our franchise QB. I hate it because injury potential for Rodgers goes up (probably).

I agree with you. Keep someone, anyone, in the backfield just to keep that option open as well as slow the rushers down a half step. With Rodgers, that half step advantage is huge.

Besides, with Lacy back there, he poses a serious threat straight up the middle-- even on 3rd an long. Or, with Cobb back there, a deadly receiver or RB that can take it to the house on any given play. Even Starks/Harris/other, keep the threat there.

McCarthy... you listening?

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I say 15tds

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say 15tds

If lacy has 15 TDs, we'll break the record for points in a season. Combining his rushing TDs with Aaron's passing TDs. He won't have 15. We have a better TE group this year, more redzone passing options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HardRightEdge

In 2013, the Packers were 26th. in red zone TD% at 50.7%. This is not attributable to Rodgers' absence; we were faring poorly before his injury. This is contrasted with a first-in-the-league 68.5% in 2012.

An improvement in this area would be welcome.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet we end up averaging 31-35 points a game this coming season. If people stay healthy and our OLine continues to progress in certain areas, there is no reason we shouldnt average that many points.

PFanCan

Reaction score
We need Rodell or WhattheHell to chime in on this thread. Just to balance things out.

D

Deleted member 6794

If lacy has 15 TDs, we'll break the record for points in a season. Combining his rushing TDs with Aaron's passing TDs. He won't have 15. We have a better TE group this year, more redzone passing options.

I don´t think it´s a fair assessment to call this year´s TE group an improved one compared to last season, especially when Finley was healthy. Even in the games both Rodgers and Finley played we only converted 50% (10-of-20) red zone opportunities into TDs.

D

Deleted member 6794

In 2013, the Packers were 26th. in red zone TD% at 50.7%. This is not attributable to Rodgers' absence; we were faring poorly before his injury. This is contrasted with a first-in-the-league 68.5% in 2012.

Actually we were even worse when Rodgers played as we only scored a TD on 48.6% (17-of-35) of the red zone opportunities.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think it´s a fair assessment to call this year´s TE group an improved one compared to last season, especially when Finley was healthy. Even in the games both Rodgers and Finley played we only converted 50% (10-of-20) red zone opportunities into TDs.

It's improved from after Finley went down. Correction. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet we end up averaging 31-35 points a game this coming season. If people stay healthy and our OLine continues to progress in certain areas, there is no reason we shouldnt average that many points.

We averaged 26 pts per game (8th best) last year on offense and 400 yds per game (3rd best) without Cobb, Rodgers, Bulaga, etc. for most of the year so yes, I would think we should be able to add another 7 - 10 pts per game to that.

D

Deleted member 6794

We averaged 26 pts per game (8th best) last year on offense and 400 yds per game (3rd best) without Cobb, Rodgers, Bulaga, etc. for most of the year so yes, I would think we should be able to add another 7 - 10 pts per game to that.

I agree the offense will be great in 2014, I don't expect them to average 31-35 points per game though. That's tough to do, the Packers have only been able to score more than 30 per game once (2011) in franchise history.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree the offense will be great in 2014, I don't expect them to average 31-35 points per game though. That's tough to do, the Packers have only been able to score more than 30 per game once (2011) in franchise history.

McCarthy has said he thought 2013 offense was going to be his best ever until all the injuries. The offense was just getting ready to take off when Rodgers got hurt last year.

If they sign Finley which I expect them to do watch out. I could see them breaking records.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Our offense has never really been the trouble here, it has always been, and always will be the defense......and bloody injuries, especially the dreaded hamstring one. Has the team done ANYTHING to correct this problem ??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts