Could Mike Daniels, Datone Jones, Julius Peppers add a needed mean streak?

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones was kicked off practice. Mike Daniels has been aggressive on practice and in interviews. Jolly Jolly was the only real mean guy on our defense last year. I think a lack of that kind of attitude has been part of the problem.
So what say you? Think these guys could add a little nastiness, a little smackdown to our ailing defense?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely couldn't hurt, especially on that D-Line (now if only it would go over to the ILB).

Mike Daniels interviews are must watch/ listen to for me, the passion and aggression just oozes out of every word he says, I don't know how you could not get pumped up playing next to this guy, I love it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I love the way Daniels has stepped up as a leader on the defense. He will hold guys accountable and add much needed nastiness to the unit. Don´t expect Peppers to be a guy like that though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You HAVE to have guys like Daniels if you are going to be a physical, nasty defense. I love the guys who show up, work hard, stay in their lane and don't "stir the drink." You know, Mr. Lunchpail. However, there has to be a few guys that talk about crushing people, yell curse words as loud as they can and challenge anyone on the field be it friend or foe. The thing I like about Daniels is that he not only talks the talk but walks the walk. I think last year was just a preview of things to come for this young man. He is not the typical size of your prototypical D-Lineman but he has the size of the guys that I love the most. I call is squatty. He is like a bowling pin and I think that's a good thing. His lower center of gravity allows him to be in a positive leverage position and he carries his 300+ pounds with surprising agility. The most important attribute he brings to the table is his motor. You can have all the talent in the world but if you lack the fire in the belly you can quickly become just another guy. I am sure this guy has been told more than once that he doesn't have the proper size to be a NFL lineman and this has to **** him off in a way that will always keep his flame lit. On the other hand you have a guy like Datone that has all the physical attributes you would want if you were creating a defensive player on the latest Madden. If he can channel his energy and feed off guys like MD I think this kid can be scary good. He has the size and speed to pose significant problems for D-Coordinators and O-Linemen alike. I hope these two are spending a lot of time together off the field and serve as the face of our defense for years to come. You have to have willing leaders who will do whatever it takes to win and I think we just may have found them. I know I have said it in nearly every post but damn I am so friggin jacked to see what this team is going to do this year! Get yourselves ready Seahags because the new look Pack is rolling into town and looking for a fight!!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well said, SoonerPack. The only thing I would add is that in order for Daniels' attitude and leadership to be effective, he has to be able to walk the walk. And IMO it's much more effective coming from a productive player than a position coach.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said, SoonerPack. The only thing I would add is that in order for Daniels' attitude and leadership to be effective, he has to be able to walk the walk. And IMO it's much more effective coming from a productive player than a position coach.
Exactly. As I mentioned I think last year was a precursor to the upcoming greatness of Mike D. I think his skill set combined with his passion/motor will make for one helluva problem for a lot of offensive linemen this year. The barking and what not can ring a touch hollow if it's coming from some dude who rarely plays or plays like a softy. If this D is going to take the next step Mike D is going to have to be a big part of it and there's just no way around that. Fingers crossed his play can run stride for stride with his swagger...I am betting it will!

Members online

Latest posts