Could coaches cheat the "booth review" system?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In light of the failed Jim Schwartz "challenge" on Thanksgiving where he made a play unreviewable due to a challenge that he couldn't make, I have to wonder if this isn't a poorly thought out rule with loopholes. Hypothetical situation here....

This Sunday, Cobb catches a pass from Rodgers and streaks towards the endzone. Being tackled near the goal line, he stretches out and fumbles just short of the goalline and goes out of the back of the endzone.

But the officials rule he broke the plane and give Cobb a TD. McCarthy's guys upstairs quickly radio down that the play will not stand on review, and will result in Minnesota's ball on the 20. MM quickly throws a challenge flag out and says he wants to challenge that it was not a fumble.

So...the play can no longer be reviewed, right? MM draws a 15 yard dead ball penalty to be enforced on the XP or kickoff, but the TD stands? Or do they have something else in place to prevent this rule from being taken advantage of?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the penalty given ( in this situation) to the packers would then change the opposing teams chance at replaying the same play. Seems to be a pretty obvious loophole to not have a simple provision to close it. Would have to look at the wording of the rule to be sure though.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the rule enforced in the Detroit game was crap. 100% crap. And I very much wanted the Lions to lose, but not lose on a garbage rule like that. Bad rule that needs to be changed. I don't think the rule should even result in a penalty. In other instances where the play can not be challenged they simply tell the coach it can not be challenged. If they really want to be ****-retentive about it, charge them a time out, but that's it.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In light of the failed Jim Schwartz "challenge" on Thanksgiving where he made a play unreviewable due to a challenge that he couldn't make, I have to wonder if this isn't a poorly thought out rule with loopholes. Hypothetical situation here....

This Sunday, Cobb catches a pass from Rodgers and streaks towards the endzone. Being tackled near the goal line, he stretches out and fumbles just short of the goalline and goes out of the back of the endzone.

But the officials rule he broke the plane and give Cobb a TD. McCarthy's guys upstairs quickly radio down that the play will not stand on review, and will result in Minnesota's ball on the 20. MM quickly throws a challenge flag out and says he wants to challenge that it was not a fumble.

So...the play can no longer be reviewed, right? MM draws a 15 yard dead ball penalty to be enforced on the XP or kickoff, but the TD stands? Or do they have something else in place to prevent this rule from being taken advantage of?

The answer is no, this challenge would not be allowed. The officials won't allow a challenge from a coach who could benefit from the lack of replay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dnt-have-blocked-review-by-throwing-red-flag/

Members online

Latest posts