Corey Williams: I wanted out of Green Bay

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is too bad... I ran into williams out on the town a couple of times this season and he was overly friendly - Just seemed like he really enjoyed it here. I'm sure he was pretty upset by the pack not keeping him, which is understandable...People say things like that when they are upset..

Yes. I think he was just upset. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

From the article:
The Packers, meanwhile, have three picks among the top 60 in what is considered a relatively deep draft.

I like this! :cool:

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just business, on both sides.

I don't see a reason for anyone to be upset. Williams said he wanted out, basically to a team that would commit to him and pay him. From there, he said he wouldn't get into anything else. Ok, that's fine, no problem there. Well handled. Good luck, Corey.

The Packers weren't going to keep him due to a deep DL. So...That's that on our end. Pretty cut and dry. :pop:

That's football in the NFL.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well look at it a little different for a second.. he played very well over the course of the past two years and wasn't negotiated with at all during the season, but seen other players around him get reupped with a contract.

Then, this offseason wasn't offered much in terms of a contract offer and go back and read the agents comments, the last two weeks their was little dialog from the Packers to Williams. Then bang.. the franchise tag right before FA opens.. so I am sure Williams emotions were a little negative about the whole deal.

You can say it is just business, but these cats have feelings as well, they are human and life changing events like having to move and a roller coaster of changes in a couple of days will have an effect.

Now, I don't blame the Packers for doing what they needed to do, it just sounds like the communication wasn't there of the plan or scope of what was trying to be accomplished.

Oh one more point, with the fanchise tag, the player doesn't get any of the money until the season starts.. in signing a contract as he did, the money was available now. Probably had a little to do with the embracing of the Browns as well.

The presser notwithstanding, I still think Williams is a class act and would have been proud for him to stay with the Packers.. to me he was a Packer person that got caught up in the numbers. IMO.

I can clearly understand it works on both sides and I see it from Williams perspective. However, the NFL is a buisness. If Joe Montanta can be traded then Corey Wililams and the Packers can certainly part ways. Unforunately I don't think Williams grasp that concept.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when players do this sort of thing. Why not just display some grace and say, "I enjoyed my time there and I'm sorry it didn't work out." I just don't get it and frankly, it irritates me.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say it is just business, but these cats have feelings as well, they are human and life changing events like having to move and a roller coaster of changes in a couple of days will have an effect.

I hear what you're saying. But there are people out there that have a lot bigger "life changing events" than Williams. Like when your house gets blown away from a tornado and you don't have the luxery of millions of dollars to re locate wherever you want. If Cory wants to make more money elsewhere. more power to him. But don't leave town saying you wanted out of Green Bay because they didn't "show you any "love" Take your money, and thank the Green Bay organization and fans for the time you were there.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow what a big differance between the packers paying him 6 million this year and the browns paying him 6.4 million a year for 6 years...he didn't exactly break the bank in cleveland.......lol
Thank you for the second round pick cleveland

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the difference is that at the end of 2008, COrey is not guaranteed he'll still be with the Packers. Now you tell me, would you stay at a job where you felt you might not be kept for a year? Or would you rather be somewhere where you can plan to be there for 5 or more years?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some times we say things because we hurt. Because the pain is too much, and we need to deflect it.

Corey Williams and Raider Pride have a great deal in common. We were both rejected, and we both made the same point when we were hurt.

“I feel like I’m wanted here. It feels like home to me, which I’ve only been here one day. I already feel like I’ve got the love that I’ve been looking for and I’m happy and excited about it.”

--- Corey Williams- 2008 After The Packers Let him Go, and he spent a day in Cleveland ---

“I feel like I’m wanted here. It feels like home to me, which I’ve only been here one day. I already feel like I’ve got the love that I’ve been looking for and I’m happy and excited about it.”

--- Raider Pride-1980 After Julie Let Him Go, and he spent a day in The Mustang Ranch ---

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Some times we say things because we hurt. Because the pain is too much, and we need to deflect it.

Corey Williams and Raider Pride have a great deal in common. We were both rejected, and we both made the same point when we were hurt.

--- Corey Williams- 2008 After The Packers Let him Go, and he spent a day in Cleveland ---

--- Raider Pride-1980 After Julie Let Him Go, and he spent a day in The Mustang Ranch ---

I hope Taylor Jade didn't look just like Julie. That would be a bad start to a new life. You want to start fresh.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the difference is that at the end of 2008, COrey is not guaranteed he'll still be with the Packers. Now you tell me, would you stay at a job where you felt you might not be kept for a year? Or would you rather be somewhere where you can plan to be there for 5 or more years?

Good point. It was in his best interest to get the long-term contract.

We got a 2nd though. Win-win. I'm happy. I still wish the guy success, as long as he's not playing the Pack. Everyone says stupid things. he just happened to have a mic in his face when he said it.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him luck, but I've never liked the browns so I won't be rooting for him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Good point. It was in his best interest to get the long-term contract.

We got a 2nd though. Win-win. I'm happy. I still wish the guy success, as long as he's not playing the Pack. Everyone says stupid things. he just happened to have a mic in his face when he said it.

win-win-win

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's unprofessional and classless to say that in public.
The only "love" he wanted was the HUGE paycheck. He got it, good for him. But my repect for him dropped with his comments.
I would have wished him well had he shown a little class.
Just another over inflated self worth/ego maniac in my view.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Corey Williams felt Dissed at being franchised. Especially knowing the market for DTs this year, he could have landed an even bigger contract if GB had not franchised him. It is what it is.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Corey Williams felt Dissed at being franchised. Especially knowing the market for DTs this year, he could have landed an even bigger contract if GB had not franchised him. It is what it is.

Very True, he would probably have been a bad influence this year with the tag anyways, no way would he have showed up for offseason workouts and such like. The deal worked out well for both parties. Not really sure what the Browns are doing though, i thought after last year they were going for a TT style build from the draft and within style, obviously they see the Bengals and Ravens as brittle now and perhaps a Division Title and Playoff spot are in reach, putting them over the top so to speak.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

Very True, he would probably have been a bad influence this year with the tag anyways, no way would he have showed up for offseason workouts and such like. The deal worked out well for both parties. Not really sure what the Browns are doing though, i thought after last year they were going for a TT style build from the draft and within style, obviously they see the Bengals and Ravens as brittle now and perhaps a Division Title and Playoff spot are in reach, putting them over the top so to speak.

Actually I think this is a reach. They extended Crenel last year I think, and they were so close to getting into the AFC Playoffs, if their defense had been just a smidgen better last year, and their offense had one more weapon (stalworth), it would not have come down to the last game of the year. The Browns could be positioned for a run this year; however, You just never know when the injury bug is going to hit your ball club.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts