Corey Williams: I wanted out of Green Bay

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080301/PKR01/80301053/1989

Williams: 'I wanted out of Green Bay'

By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

To hear Corey Williams tell it at his introductory press conference as a new member of the Cleveland Browns, the defensive lineman couldn’t get away from the Green Bay Packers fast enough.

“I wanted out of Green Bay,” said Williams, whose trade to the Browns was officially announced today. “I’m glad Cleveland called me. I feel like I’m wanted here. It feels like home to me, which I’ve only been here one day. I already feel like I’ve got the love that I’ve been looking for and I’m happy and excited about it.”

Williams felt the love, as well as a swollen wallet after the Browns doled out a six-year, $38.6 million contract that included $16.3 million in guaranteed money.

That was exactly the kind of long-term commitment the Packers weren’t willing to make to Williams, a sixth-round draft choice in 2004. Defensive line is one of the Packers’ strongest positions in terms of depth, one reason they could afford to let Williams go.

The emergence of Johnny Jolly last season and the expected development of Justin Harrell, last year’s first-round draft choice, were prime reasons Williams became expendable.

When asked why he didn’t want to play in Green Bay, Williams replied: “There’s a bunch of different reasons. I don’t care to talk about them. I just wanted out.”

Not only did Williams receive a substantial raise, but he will likely see more playing time in Cleveland, where he is expected to start at end in the Browns’ 3-4 defensive alignment. In Green Bay, Williams was part of a rotation that sometimes went eight-deep.

Williams admitted he wasn’t happy when the Packers placed a franchise tag on him last week, and he was thankful Cleveland was still interested. The Browns traded a second-round draft choice (No. 56 overall) to the Packers for Williams.

“We wouldn’t be able to draft a guy in the second round that can come in and do what Corey can do,” said Browns Coach Romeo Crennel.

The Browns are left without a first-day draft choice this year. They traded their first-round pick for quarterback Brady Quinn last year, and their third-round selection was dealt to the Detroit Lions this weekend for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

The Packers, meanwhile, have three picks among the top 60 in what is considered a relatively deep draft.

Williams described himself to the Cleveland media as a “hard worker” who “loves the game of football” and couldn’t be happier in Cleveland. “As soon as I walked in the door I felt the love,” he said. “Walking through the door seeing smiles on people’s faces, that meant a lot. Being in the situation I’m in now, I’m really excited.”

Moss speculation:

ESPN.com reported that unrestricted free agent wide receiver Randy Moss and the New England Patriots are far apart in contract talks. That has fueled speculation Moss will start shopping around, although no media outlet could confirm this. An NFL.com report said Moss’ frustration was growing and he might start taking free-agent visits and could end up in Green Bay with Brett Favre. The NFL Network suggested the Packers might pursue Moss as a way to persuade Favre to return for another season.
---

It's like he didn't even know our defensive system. What a turd.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080301/PKR01/80301053/1989

Williams: 'I wanted out of Green Bay'

By Mike Vandermause
[email protected]

To hear Corey Williams tell it at his introductory press conference as a new member of the Cleveland Browns, the defensive lineman couldn’t get away from the Green Bay Packers fast enough.

“I wanted out of Green Bay,” said Williams, whose trade to the Browns was officially announced today. “I’m glad Cleveland called me. I feel like I’m wanted here. It feels like home to me, which I’ve only been here one day. I already feel like I’ve got the love that I’ve been looking for and I’m happy and excited about it.”

Williams felt the love, as well as a swollen wallet after the Browns doled out a six-year, $38.6 million contract that included $16.3 million in guaranteed money.

That was exactly the kind of long-term commitment the Packers weren’t willing to make to Williams, a sixth-round draft choice in 2004. Defensive line is one of the Packers’ strongest positions in terms of depth, one reason they could afford to let Williams go.

The emergence of Johnny Jolly last season and the expected development of Justin Harrell, last year’s first-round draft choice, were prime reasons Williams became expendable.

When asked why he didn’t want to play in Green Bay, Williams replied: “There’s a bunch of different reasons. I don’t care to talk about them. I just wanted out.”

Not only did Williams receive a substantial raise, but he will likely see more playing time in Cleveland, where he is expected to start at end in the Browns’ 3-4 defensive alignment. In Green Bay, Williams was part of a rotation that sometimes went eight-deep.

Williams admitted he wasn’t happy when the Packers placed a franchise tag on him last week, and he was thankful Cleveland was still interested. The Browns traded a second-round draft choice (No. 56 overall) to the Packers for Williams.

“We wouldn’t be able to draft a guy in the second round that can come in and do what Corey can do,” said Browns Coach Romeo Crennel.

The Browns are left without a first-day draft choice this year. They traded their first-round pick for quarterback Brady Quinn last year, and their third-round selection was dealt to the Detroit Lions this weekend for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

The Packers, meanwhile, have three picks among the top 60 in what is considered a relatively deep draft.

Williams described himself to the Cleveland media as a “hard worker” who “loves the game of football” and couldn’t be happier in Cleveland. “As soon as I walked in the door I felt the love,” he said. “Walking through the door seeing smiles on people’s faces, that meant a lot. Being in the situation I’m in now, I’m really excited.”

Moss speculation:

ESPN.com reported that unrestricted free agent wide receiver Randy Moss and the New England Patriots are far apart in contract talks. That has fueled speculation Moss will start shopping around, although no media outlet could confirm this. An NFL.com report said Moss’ frustration was growing and he might start taking free-agent visits and could end up in Green Bay with Brett Favre. The NFL Network suggested the Packers might pursue Moss as a way to persuade Favre to return for another season.
---

It's like he didn't even know our defensive system. What a turd.

I'll start by saying I'm drunk....don't let the door hit you on the way out, *******. Johnny Jolly rules!

vipercwf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is too bad... I ran into williams out on the town a couple of times this season and he was overly friendly - Just seemed like he really enjoyed it here. I'm sure he was pretty upset by the pack not keeping him, which is understandable...People say things like that when they are upset..

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I wanted out of Green Bay,” said Williams, whose trade to the Browns was officially announced today. “I’m glad Cleveland called me. I feel like I’m wanted here. It feels like home to me, which I’ve only been here one day. I already feel like I’ve got the love that I’ve been looking 4 and I’m happy and excited about it.”

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:roll: I guess $6 million wasn't showing any "love" ? Give me a break. Maybe had he stayed we could have taken up a collection for him. After all, hows a guy supposed to get by on $6 million. Don't let the door hit you in the...

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it was the money and he wanted to stay but t.t wasnt willing to go the extra mile happy the browns have a good player not like jolly though

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland could be scary good this year, especially after signing the packers #3 WR Stallworth I think his name is.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cleveland could be scary good this year, especially after signing the packers #3 WR Stallworth I think his name is.

Donte Stallworth was with the Patriots last season. He kind of got lost in the talent pool over there behind Moss and Welker but he's still pretty solid if he can stay healthy. The Browns basically gave up their draft to shore up the team through free agency...interesting to see how it turns out for them. New D-Line with Rogers and Williams and now Stallworth on the offense along with other weapons like Edwards and Winslow.

ftwuno

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can't really blame a guy for wanting to get more playing time, and feel like he is a big part of the defense that will take the field in 2008

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can't really blame a guy for wanting to get more playing time, and feel like he is a big part of the defense that will take the field in 2008

Not blaming him for wanting to play more, etc. but he could have taken the high road and left his "I wanted out of Green Bay" in his head. Didn't he say how he wanted to be a Packer and that he may even consider less to do so? Was that just a bunch of b.s.?

Players do this all the time and it gets old. Since free agency in 1993, loyalty has gone down the tubes. It's about the almighty dollar now. I know that we aren't all that different in our professions; however, the big difference is that many people don't say one thing one day and turn around and say the complete opposite after he/she leaves like in professional sports.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well loyalty to players has gone down the tubes too. Players have to fight to protect themselves because most times, the teams won't

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the big difference is that many people don't say one thing one day and turn around and say the complete opposite after he/she leaves like in professional sports.

or maybe you do, but it's not at a national press conference!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well loyalty to players has gone down the tubes too. Players have to fight to protect themselves because most times, the teams won't

You're right but I'm just making the point that Williams said one thing about loving GB and wanting to remain here and then turns around and bashes the organization. Teams typically aren't giving the love and then bashing the players that they let go, are they?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

that is true. I was one who was really behind getting Corey re-signed, but if that is how he really felt, the team will probably be better in the long run without him

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. It appeared on the outside at least that the Packes were willing to pay him his $6 million for one more year. I think that showed that they value him to an extent. D-Line depth is incredible on the Packers right now, especially if Harrell matures into a player.

TT couldn't pass up the 2nd round pick from Cleveland and I think GB got the better end of this by far - even though I think Williams is a solid player.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchising a player doesn't mean a team values them in the players eyes anymore, a player can suffer a bad injury and then never get a job again.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is pretty typical of the way players are today. Two weeks ago he said he loved the Pacekrs and wanted to stay. They tagged because they valued him as a player and possibly hoped to come to an aggreement on a contract and if they couldn't they would trade him. Corey had to have known that. But you walk away from your former employer and you slam them, and now you get labled. I don't believe for a moment that Corey wanted out of GB, but I do believe he's thrilled with his new, "I feel the love" contract in Cleveland. It's ok for him to go there and be happy. I just feel badly that the kid felt he had to slam the door on the Packers on his way out. It just makes him look bad, not the Packers.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Franchising a player doesn't mean a team values them in the players eyes anymore, a player can suffer a bad injury and then never get a job again.

So the only way you can value a player is to give him a long-term deal prior to him really earning it??? hmmm...what just happened to Lance Briggs then?

It wouldn't have been enough for the Packers to say to him, "OK, we're tagging you this year but if you have another season like the last one we'll take care of you."

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying, the Tag isn't viewed positively like it was in the early days of the Cap. Not by most fans or players.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying, the Tag isn't viewed positively like it was in the early days of the Cap. Not by most fans or players.
I agree. Paying someone $6 million is a disgrace. He would have not been able feed his family, or let alone survive on that. Poor guy.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well look at it a little different for a second.. he played very well over the course of the past two years and wasn't negotiated with at all during the season, but seen other players around him get reupped with a contract.

Then, this offseason wasn't offered much in terms of a contract offer and go back and read the agents comments, the last two weeks their was little dialog from the Packers to Williams. Then bang.. the franchise tag right before FA opens.. so I am sure Williams emotions were a little negative about the whole deal.

You can say it is just business, but these cats have feelings as well, they are human and life changing events like having to move and a roller coaster of changes in a couple of days will have an effect.

Now, I don't blame the Packers for doing what they needed to do, it just sounds like the communication wasn't there of the plan or scope of what was trying to be accomplished.

Oh one more point, with the fanchise tag, the player doesn't get any of the money until the season starts.. in signing a contract as he did, the money was available now. Probably had a little to do with the embracing of the Browns as well.

The presser notwithstanding, I still think Williams is a class act and would have been proud for him to stay with the Packers.. to me he was a Packer person that got caught up in the numbers. IMO.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson thought that there were other players that would be able to do what Williams could do at a lesser price.

olpete

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big deal. He probably said it because he likes it here and didn't get a contract.

The franchise tag was probably just TT doing his job and selling his one year right to him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts